PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't work: glued on checks

Stoats
05-21-2010, 04:08 AM
Just wasted a lot of time and effort using superglue to prevent gas check separation -- the accuracy went completely to pot to the point that my non-glued rejects used for warmup shots shot better than my selected bullets with glued checks.

I presume that the reason for this is that the glue prevents the copper from flowing properly as the check is swaged into the rifling leading to non-uniform bases. Target evidence supports this theory, since there were a number of holes where the bullet had clearly been tipping as it went through.

My warmup shot/barrel conditioning shot collection has grown substantially due to this mistake !

:groner:

WILCO
05-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Are these factory made checks?

longbow
05-21-2010, 09:43 AM
How are you seating your gas checks?

What boolit?

What check?

Are they tight on the boolit after sizing? If so then why the glue and if not the gas check shank must be undersize.

Any gas checks I have used are a press fit to the gas check shank and are difficult to remove if pressed on. Once in place and run through a sizer they are part of the boolit and I find them still attached to recovered boolits. No need for glue.

Longbow

Stoats
05-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Hornady checks, Lyman 55 grain 255646. 99% of them are fine, but I get the odd one that sheds a check just before the 100 meter target and punches 2 holes. I use the Lyman sizer.

Next thing to try will be seating the checks in a separate operation to make sure that the base is bottoming out.

BruceB
05-21-2010, 09:55 AM
One particular .45 rifle mould here has an undersize shank, and the departing gas checks were chopping-up the screen supports on my chronograph.

I used a good-sized drop of red Loctite in the gascheck and sized normally. Since the sizing took place while the Loctite was still un-set, the goo hardened nicely AFTER sizing and held the checks quite firmly, eliminating the chrono damage. Accuracy is better than when the checks were falling off.

Allowing the Loctite to set up overnight seemed to plenty of time. I had no trouble with the stuff contaminating the interior of the sizer die, probably because of the lube film on interior die surfaces.

WILCO
05-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Allowing the Loctite to set up overnight seemed to plenty of time.

Loctite sets up in 90 minutes. :coffee:

vonnieglen
05-23-2010, 11:45 PM
I have used a dab of superglue on a lot of bullets that I haven't bothered to size. I haven't noticed a problem with them, but your bad experience will cause me to experiment a little more and take a closer look at my results. I dug some of the ones I glued out of the berm to see if they stayed on. They did. Sometimes things that work well on one type of a cartridge can royally screw up another type.

Stoats
05-25-2010, 05:47 AM
I suspect that Loctite will work better than superglue because it is softer and not quite so strong.

The next test is simply seating the checks separately before sizing to ensure that they are fully engaged with the shank to see if this eliminates the problem. If not, the next test will be Loctite.

StarMetal
05-25-2010, 12:37 PM
How do the checks fit your bullet shank? Example, when you are installing them are the very easy to slip on the shanks? If you have an undersized shank there are two things you can do. One is change the alloy. Could it be your alloy drops a smaller bullet? Another is to lap out just the shank area. Now we're talking about going slow and easy here. Remember the old addage: measure twice cut once.

Stoats
05-26-2010, 04:36 AM
The vast majority are pretty tight, but there is the odd one that just slips on. Maybe I should just reject the ones that go on a little too easily?

StarMetal
05-26-2010, 11:26 AM
If anything is different about a bullet, reject it. That is if you're looking for top drawer performance from it. I doubt there is a wide variance in gas check inner diameters ( possible though) so I'd have to say the ones that fit loose are a problem with the diameter of the gas check shank. You may refine your casting technique some and see if that clears it up.

beagle
05-26-2010, 09:53 PM
The Super Glue worked for me on the 225438 in a .22 Hornet. Incidence of flyers was significantly decreased.

I dropped in a dab of Super Glue, nose first sized and then later after the glue set up, I came back and lubed in the normal manner in a Lyman #450./beagle