PDA

View Full Version : Question about Lyman 358156 mold

Kermit2
05-21-2010, 03:29 AM
I've found a Lyman 358156 mold that's in really nice condition. I realize it was designed to produce boolits that would have gas checks added. What happens if I shoot these boolits without gas checks? I'd likely be pushing them in the 1000-1100 fps range. All information will be appreciated. Thanks.

primersp
05-21-2010, 04:32 AM
if they are at the good size of the cylinder nothing ,i have shoot this bullet less g c with no
leading
good day
ANDRE

Bass Ackward
05-21-2010, 06:18 AM
You never know, you never can predict. They either work well enough in a certain gun or they don't.

I believe that a lot of the time they don't is because you lose the lube capacity of the GC groove and the bullet is actually lube starved.

The beauty of the 358156 is that it has a nice bearing area vs. unsupported nose weight ratio. It gives you two chances to work. That is one design that you can turn around and load backwards. Sort of a boat tail wadcutter. I just crimp over what now is the front of the base band.

In fact, if you are lubing in a lubrisizer, you are going to have to get the lube off the base anyway. I lube right side up like normal, load upside down, and then it is easier to wipe the lube off the exposed base when you wipe the entire case off. The bullet seems to perform better this direction because it can actually hold more lube when I fill the two crimp grooves too.

Anymore, backwards is my go to method without the check. :grin: 9 Grains of 2400 is in the velocity range you seek.

Bret4207
05-21-2010, 06:49 AM
Questions like yours have been asked to the point that a whole "Gas Checks" section was added down the page a ways. Check there.

Hickory
05-21-2010, 07:01 AM
Back in the days when I was struggling...
Well, what ever I was struggling against I do not recall,
but what ever it was, I know I had little money for extras.

The Lyman 358156 was the first mould I ever bought and I still have it.
I shot that boolit in a S&W model 14 for years without a gas check.
It shot fine with 2.8 grs. of bullseye, but not so good with anything else.

Hind sight, they say is 20/20. Looking back I should have bought the Lyman 358429. The 358156 is an exellent boolit with any reasonal powder charge with the gas check.