PDA

View Full Version : Swiss load

semtav
05-21-2010, 12:21 AM
Does anyone have notes on what charge of Swiss 1 1/2 would give similiar bullet speed to a 90 gr charge of Goex FFG in a 45-90? I don't have access to a chronograph where I'm currently located, and would like to compare similiar charges.

( using 535 gr bullet)

Thanks
Brian

(also, is there much speed difference between identical charges of Goex FFg and Goex Cartridge)

NickSS
05-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Swiss generally gives a bit more velocity per grain of weight than does GOEX and generally you can get more in the case as well. If you want to duplicate velocities go lower in charge weight like five grains and you will be close.

semtav
05-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Thanks.
I was going to take a SWAG at 85. guy on Shiloh forum says 86, so at least I have a close starting point.

cajun shooter
05-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Swiss powder is smaller than our grain size. I find that Swiss 2F is very close to Goex 3F. That is the reason for some of the difference in different loads. I did a test this week end on some 44-40 loads. The Swiss 2F shot better than the Goex 3F both in velocity and target groups. Semtav the nice thing about shooting BP is that when you are trying to develop a load the difference of one or two grains is not dangerous. In fact I have found that it takes at least 5 grains to show a difference on the target. If some one says that 86 grains is the perfect load then 85 or 87 will not make much difference.