PDA

View Full Version : Lee Bench Plate

monkeymt
05-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Has anyone here seen one of the new Lee Bench Plates? Looks pretty good and at a great price if it works as advertised.
Mark

deerslayer
05-21-2010, 12:31 AM
I just googled it and I will be getting that soon. It is one of those well duh moments when you see how simple the design is.

Muddy Creek Sam
05-21-2010, 12:41 AM
Before you buy, look at Pat Marlin's RockDock, Much nicer and fits a lot more stuff.

Sam :D

HeavyMetal
05-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Saw the add for the Lee product in the current American Rifleman. Page 74.

Noticed they have a patent on it!

Wonder if PatMarlin will get a letter from them? Hopefully it's Pat's Patent!

jimkim
05-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Saw the add for the Lee product in the current American Rifleman. Page 74.

Noticed they have a patent on it!

Wonder if PatMarlin will get a letter from them? Hopefully it's Pat's Patent!

That's the first thing that popped in my mind.

flashhole
05-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Some of the guys on another forum whom I have a lot of respect for their opinion gave the Lee product pretty low marks. They outright cautioned against buying it. It has a tendancy to pop out of the holder. They are making inquiries to Lee but haven't posted any response yet.

StarMetal
05-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Here's a picture of it:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/starmetal47/Lee.jpg

Hey Pat, you had better patent your system, Lee's coming after you. :kidding:

Who know's maybe we'll see you system in Lee's ad knocking it. Your system looks a whole lot better.

BCall
05-21-2010, 03:34 PM
My understanding about Pat's Rockdock was that you could change presses without needing any tools. You cannot do that with the new Lee copy. You have to loosen 4 screws to change anything. If you have a low use space on your bench that you could use it with something that doesn't use much force, it might be fine. Otherwise I think you would be money ahead to buy Pat's system. JMO, as I don't have either one. Billy

StarMetal
05-21-2010, 04:12 PM
My understanding about Pat's Rockdock was that you could change presses without needing any tools. You cannot do that with the new Lee copy. You have to loosen 4 screws to change anything. If you have a low use space on your bench that you could use it with something that doesn't use much force, it might be fine. Otherwise I think you would be money ahead to buy Pat's system. JMO, as I don't have either one. Billy

I like Pat's system too, but in all fairness from the ad I posted once you have mounted the plates on the presses you don't use any wrenches to remover them. The ad shows just slipping one press out and the other in. Where did you come up with they have to be bolted? Not talking about the base, it of course is bolted to the bench as is Pat's.

BCall
05-21-2010, 04:38 PM
I have already seen one personally. The ad states
"Trapezoidal base block slidea into perfect register and is made immoveable with the quick tightening of four bolts."

I have seen it, held it, seen how it works, and I would not use it without tightening those four screws. It is not made to close enough tolerences to use without tightening those screws, the press would just slide around and fall out. As with alot of cheap things, not a bad design, but poor execution. It just doesn't seem that sturdy. Billy

StarMetal
05-21-2010, 05:08 PM
I have already seen one personally. The ad states
"Trapezoidal base block slidea into perfect register and is made immoveable with the quick tightening of four bolts."

I have seen it, held it, seen how it works, and I would not use it without tightening those four screws. It is not made to close enough tolerences to use without tightening those screws, the press would just slide around and fall out. As with alot of cheap things, not a bad design, but poor execution. It just doesn't seem that sturdy. Billy

Thanks Bill, their ad certainly doesn't depict that. Yeah, that really sucks...heck if you have to do any bolt turning you can mount your press the regular way!

Perhaps with a little innovation one could attach some sort of lock to keep it in place rather then bolting it. I'd have to see one such as you have already.

grages
05-21-2010, 05:43 PM
I want Pats RockDock but money right now does not allow it. I ordered a bench plate today from Midsouth. Without shipping it is $20 and change and I was ordering other things so shipping is moot. I hope one day to get Pats System, for now I will have to tighten 4 bolts.

As to the design, there is enough of a difference in Pats and the Lee design that Lee would have a hard time enforcing it. And the patent date I believe has the RockDock existing first which makes it a moot point as well since it would not be enforceable on Pat. I'm no lawyer but that is my understanding of how it works.

Patent on BenchPlate (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7578489.pdf)

Shawn

ph4570
05-21-2010, 06:00 PM
I believe I will try the Lee plate. I too saw it in Rifleman. There are a couple of youtube videos on it.

StarMetal
05-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Just out of curiosity what is Lee asking for their system? It's interesting you see their new stuff in magazines before it's on their website. You would think they would announce new products in a What's New section.

Forester
05-21-2010, 08:15 PM
I like the looks of Pat's system, but for the number of larger items I need it for the cost was going to get pretty high, fair for the quality to be sure but still $$$.

Instead I bought a package of these: Threaded Inserts (http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0123228&ucst=t)
and some thumbscrews.

Run them in flush to the benchtop and when you need the bench clear it is easy enough to have it wide open with no mounting blocks or anything in the way.

BCall
05-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Just out of curiosity what is Lee asking for their system? It's interesting you see their new stuff in magazines before it's on their website. You would think they would announce new products in a What's New section.

It is on Lee's page now. Bottom of the products section. Price is $29.98, but as grages paid $20, I would imagine that will probably be the going rate. Billy

bohokii
05-21-2010, 08:20 PM
gee why didnt they jsut have it slide in and have you drop a couple pins through

to remove pull the pins pull it out

ive kind of already been using a system like this i just have my presses mounted to 3/4 plywood with elevator bolts (no protrusion on the back) and clamp it to a table

being that i use 2 clamps i may even be quicker if i used some of that non slip rubber mat stuff it wouldnt move even if loading 50

lurch
05-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Instead I bought a package of these: Threaded Inserts (http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0123228&ucst=t)
and some thumbscrews.

I did something like that a few years back - in fact those look like the exact insert I used. Somebody (Midway...?) was selling wood blocks with holes in the corners for 1/4" bolts and drilled in the middle to fit some presses, etc. I put enough inserts in the front of my bench for about four of those blocks and some to fit the shotshell press and have been happy ever since.

jonblack
05-26-2010, 11:43 PM
Look at the toolhead on a Dillon 650. Mounts more or less the same way, except it has pins to keep the toolhead from slipping out. It would be easy to mod the LEE unit to make it quick release.

jonblack

*EDIT - fix typo

jonblack
05-27-2010, 12:07 AM
Thanks Bill, their ad certainly doesn't depict that. Yeah, that really sucks...heck if you have to do any bolt turning you can mount your press the regular way!

Perhaps with a little innovation one could attach some sort of lock to keep it in place rather then bolting it. I'd have to see one such as you have already.

The patent mentions "which allows different presses to be secured to a bench or the like by turning at least two fasteners."

So, while trying to differentiate the LEE design from prior designs, they mention the fasteners. What is vague is what the fasteners are and what tools, if any, are needed to install and remove them.

jonblack

jonblack
05-27-2010, 12:10 AM
I'm still thinking of T-track for my bench. My only reluctance, outside of price, is the fact that the trough will, no doubt, collect debris. Of course, that is what the Dust Buster is for.

T-Track (http://www.woodpeck.com/wpttrack.html)

jonblack

*EDIT - fix typo

shotman
05-27-2010, 12:15 AM
I made one many years back used it when I only had a 6ft bench I used steel but was same idea.
1/4 in 8in x 8in plate on each press. 12in x12in bolted to bench 2 bars on both sides to slide the press in and 2 holes for 1/4 in pins to drop in to keep press from moving. I got the idea then from a body shop that he had many form tools and only a small place to work
The Lee would be fine if you set bolts to just let the board slide in and drill 2 holes to keep it from moving
I could put a long bar on an old Herters O press and form brass dont think the Lee would do that
It was somewhat like pats but no bar across back to make it hard to clean

fryboy
05-27-2010, 12:33 AM
umm i posted about this on the site i usually hang out when i saw it , i didnt get much feed back so i bought it .... it does require loosening 4 screws ( yes 1/4" # 3 phillip head screws ) they show it bolted down ...i umm lee-mented it lolz i counter sunk 4 of the mounting holes so instead of using bolts to hold it down i used 4 large ( again #3 phillips head) bugle headed screws.....i'm thinking of insetting the 1/4" plate flush in my top , it has rather round umm corners and a router would make short work of it .... i made a few extra blocks mounted a few presses lolz , i will state that the bolts lee supplies are small headed elevator bolts ( almost like a carriage bolt but flat headed ,cant seem to find the same size local tho ...did grind the heads of a few regular carriage bolts tho lolz ,it does work but yup if u dont tighten the screws it can pop out ..best way i have found is insert desired block snug up front two screws then rear two and then tighten the front two tite and then the rear two ...mine holds rather well -properly tightened it doesnt budge ,gonna get another one as i should of mounted this one where i mount the progressives instead of ye old turret ( my main squeeze) midway wants 22-23 ,natchez 20 ..guess who's gonna get my order ? ( besides they have the sizing die i want in stock and it's OOS at midway )

deerslayer
05-27-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm still thinking of T-track for my bench. My only reluctance, outside of price, is the fact that the trough will, no doubt, collect debris. Of course, that is what the Dust Buster is for.

T-Track (http://www.woodpeck.com/wpttrack.html)

jonblack

*EDIT - fix typo

If you are gonna do the T track why not just go with unistrut? you can probably get it local at a commercial electrical or plumbing supply house and it would be cheaper and all hardware is available to mount with as heavy of bolts as you choose to use. Unless all presses have the same footprint or you intend to put a footplate that matches on each one I don't see the advantage.

Personally I will go with a rockdock when I can afford it. Looking at it it just screams qaulity. Of course I am the kinda guy who is liable to break an anvil with a rubber mallet so overbuilt is perfect in my book.

jonblack
05-27-2010, 01:05 AM
I am looking for a flush mount solution. If I went with T-track I would flush mount it. I would have to have an awfully thick bench to be able to flush mount Unistrut.

Yes, I would have a plate that mounted to the T track, just as I would have to have for the Unistrut. Having a plate would allow me to move the inividual press to a shelf of some sort. I don't have it all figured out just yet!

Thanks
jonblack

Adam10mm
05-27-2010, 01:22 AM
The patent mentions "which allows different presses to be secured to a bench or the like by turning at least two fasteners."

So, while trying to differentiate the LEE design from prior designs, they mention the fasteners. What is vague is what the fasteners are and what tools, if any, are needed to install and remove them.

jonblack
Exactly and this is why patents are written so vaguely. It encompasses a slew of variables such that any "copying" is almost impossible without violating the patent.

I run into this with silencer patents. They always state the degree of baffle angle as "from 1 to 89 degrees" so any practical angle beyond a flat washer design is protected under the patent.

This is why you pay a patent attorney instead of rolling your own.

Bret4207
05-27-2010, 07:15 AM
Patented? That idea goes back to the 1970's at least. The first example I saw was in Rifle or Handloader and we made up a bunch of them. They worked okay. Patented? Sheesh. Kind of like patenting Beagling or breathing.

deerslayer
05-27-2010, 11:19 PM
I am looking for a flush mount solution. If I went with T-track I would flush mount it. I would have to have an awfully thick bench to be able to flush mount Unistrut.

Yes, I would have a plate that mounted to the T track, just as I would have to have for the Unistrut. Having a plate would allow me to move the inividual press to a shelf of some sort. I don't have it all figured out just yet!

Thanks
jonblack

If you want to flush mount you can get 5/8" unistrut commonly referred to as thin strut and it is 5/8" thick and cheaper to. Also if you have a ferguson supply house anywhere near you they have a new fastener/hanger line with some channel very similar if not the same as the T track. Not sure on the price of it though.

PatMarlin
07-06-2010, 07:37 PM
...:castmine:

Har! just found this thread... :mrgreen:

I read LEE's patent. Well many points, but like Brett said, this concept has been around for years. I have my own theory on the validity of a patent, but I was marketing and providing my ROCKDock™ before LEE came out with theirs and mine operates much differently as well.

I'm a big LEE fan, but as with some of their gear- cheap and bordering on cheesy goes with some of it, and simply an awesome solid bang for your buck on much of their products.

My ROCKDock™ is like a Rolls Royce compared to the LEE mount. You get an expandable system that is a LIFETIME quality investment for just a few more dollars that is 6061 T6 machined aircraft aluminum. It can be recessed in the bench as well.

With the ROCKDock™ you also get a tooless- rocksolid mount, that once set, you do not require a tool to remove or install your presses, case prep tools, as well as powder measures, vises, etc. I have aquired a CNC machine for the ROCKDock™ and will be stocking product inventory for ALL presses, measures, prep tools, MEC shotgun, and more.

Just not even a close comparison.... :Fire:

PatMarlin
07-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Here's more benefits to the ROCKDock™ compared to LEE, that I posted on another thread and through I would shamefully post it here as well...

Talk about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, LEE has produced a product very similar.

I feel somewhat of an accomplishment when you compare my design to LEE, and that they have been in this business since before I was born. I'm a big LEE fan of much of their gear, but I think I out designed them on this one in pretty much every way including cost, for much higher quality and for only a few dollars more, plus lower shipping cost.

LEE needs a tool to tighten your press down each change. The ROCKDock™ doesn't.

LEE is pretty much limited to their presses. The ROCKDock™ accomodates their presses as well as ALL other manufacturers presses, Mecs, Dillons, progressives, turrets, lube presses and case prep tools, and powder measures.

LEE uses plywood for a base you have to drill on your own. The ROCKDock™ uses machined 6061 T6 aircraft aluminum and high quality mounting hardware, predrilled to fit your press.

LEE has no lube heater function. The ROCKDock™ is a true lube press heater w/lube shelf.

The ROCKDock™ is a once in a lifetime purchase for only $14.95 more to mount a LEE press, and is a sleek- fine peice and rock solid quality mount that enhances the look and function of your reloading bench.

...:Fire:

Alan in WI
07-18-2010, 09:30 AM
I made my own a couple of years ago and it works like a charm. I can change presses in less than 1 minute and use only one bolt. You will need a miter saw.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj183/alans49/internet1-1.jpg

I used some left over scrap from my bench.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj183/alans49/internet3.jpg

I bolted it and pinned it to the bench to make sure it wouldn't move.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj183/alans49/internet2.jpg

Ounce the press is pulled into place it's a solid as a rock.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj183/alans49/internet4.jpg

Alan

pmeisel
07-22-2010, 08:45 PM
I made a custom bench top that does this sort of thing -- got the plans from an old Wiley Clapp article in one of the mags in the late 80s.

But if I already had a good bench I'd probably buy a RockDock....

Reverend Recoil
07-23-2010, 04:36 PM
I installed two Lee bench plates today. I think they will work well.

buck1
07-24-2010, 12:05 PM
After looking at the pics of the Lee set up , I think I will pass. Pats is FAR better. As far as price goes its cheeper to buy quality once than cheepo stuff over and over.
The Lee is more likely to let go and bust off your powder measure and or you foot. JUST MY
$.02
....Buck

Elkins45
07-24-2010, 11:03 PM
I bought a set because they were on a seller's table at a gun show. It's a simple design but it's not without problems. The plate has a tendency to loosen up if you don't keep snugging the screws down as you use your press. There's not a lot of fun in pulling down on your press handle only to discover you're holding the whole press by the handle because it slipped out of the clamps.

The kit comes with two blank plates and one that's swiss cheesed with holes. Lee drills it to accept every press they've ever made. When I mounted my older turret press there were a few holes uncovered. I decided to use one of those holes to add an indexing pin/safety system.

I looked at how I had mounted the other accessories on the other plates and decided on a hole on the front left. With the predrilled plate installed I drilled through that hole into the steel plate and down into the bench until the bit bottomed out. I then removed the press from that plate and used it as a template to drill a hole in the same location in my other plates.

Now, after I install the press and tighten down the clamp screws I just stick the screwdriver down through that hole and into the bench. The screwdriver serves as a safety indexing pin that prevents the press from sliding off into my lap. When the clamps loosen the press will swivel a bit around the screwdriver rather than sliding all the way off. That's my clue I need to tighten it up again.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/elkins_pix/DSC_4799.jpg

The whole procedure might have taken 30 minutes and it dramatically improved the reliability of the whole system. I recommend it to anyone who buys the Lee system.

Knowing what I do now I wish I had just bought the Pat Marlin's system. I think the higher quality would probably be more than worth the additional price. Still, if you must operate on the cheap the Lee can be made to work OK.

PatMarlin
07-25-2010, 10:58 AM
You can still get one Elkins. There's always someone who will by used LEE stuff.

For new comers or folks intersted who may think my ROCKDock™ system is expensive, it only costs aprox. $15.02 more than LEE to mount your press. Subtract another $5 or so because I ship USPS flate rate ($4.95) shipping and that brings it down to about only $10.00 more than LEE. You also get a Lube Heater for your favorite lube press.

http://www.patmarlins.com/1Lubeheater.jpg

http://www.patmarlins.com/1leeclassic.jpg

http://www.patmarlins.com/1turrets2.jpg

http://www.patmarlins.com/ROCKDock.jpg

Elkins45
07-25-2010, 12:17 PM
How do you attach your bolts? Can you show a picture of a plate from the bottom?

PatMarlin
07-25-2010, 12:28 PM
The bolts go through the bench and use the same 1/4-20" nut that hold the presses.

PatMarlin
07-25-2010, 12:43 PM
I just realized In think you mean the base plates.

The bolts are counter sunk in the plate like the lube shelf. That's another good point for wood not being a very good choice of material.

Real hardwood would hold up fairly well, but with weak rails it won't make a difference. What's going on is there's a ton of leverage force being placed on the plate and rails every time you bring down the handle.

We know a solid uniform pull and pressure is the key to accurate, uniform safe ammo. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised with LEE's engineering with this one.

I have customers using Dillon 650's, Redding T-7's, monster C&H presses- every brand of heavy large press, and state without a doubt the mount is as strong, if not noticeably stronger than stock mounting,.

I'm not slamming guys from buying LEE. I'm one of their biggest supporters. We invest a lot of money into our hobby and presses, but who wants the thing to pop loose, hit the floor and possible rack our knees on the way down?

Holy cow- better to be careful with no mount, and bolt a big heavy press to the bench.

kostner
04-01-2011, 11:17 PM
I bought a set because they were on a seller's table at a gun show. It's a simple design but it's not without problems. The plate has a tendency to loosen up if you don't keep snugging the screws down as you use your press. There's not a lot of fun in pulling down on your press handle only to discover you're holding the whole press by the handle because it slipped out of the clamps.

The kit comes with two blank plates and one that's swiss cheesed with holes. Lee drills it to accept every press they've ever made. When I mounted my older turret press there were a few holes uncovered. I decided to use one of those holes to add an indexing pin/safety system.

I looked at how I had mounted the other accessories on the other plates and decided on a hole on the front left. With the predrilled plate installed I drilled through that hole into the steel plate and down into the bench until the bit bottomed out. I then removed the press from that plate and used it as a template to drill a hole in the same location in my other plates.

Now, after I install the press and tighten down the clamp screws I just stick the screwdriver down through that hole and into the bench. The screwdriver serves as a safety indexing pin that prevents the press from sliding off into my lap. When the clamps loosen the press will swivel a bit around the screwdriver rather than sliding all the way off. That's my clue I need to tighten it up again.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/elkins_pix/DSC_4799.jpg

The whole procedure might have taken 30 minutes and it dramatically improved the reliability of the whole system. I recommend it to anyone who buys the Lee system.

Knowing what I do now I wish I had just bought the Pat Marlin's system. I think the higher quality would probably be more than worth the additional price. Still, if you must operate on the cheap the Lee can be made to work OK.

Very happy with the Lee Bench Plate and not had any problems but your safety bolt looks like a good idea. Hate SURPRISES. Thanks for the tip.

Phillip
04-02-2011, 01:42 AM
Between Lee's and Pat's systems, I like Pat's better. It has more uses (Like mounting a small vice) and looks allot sturdier as well.

With the lack of space I have to work with, I went to a local machine shop and had them make me two 1/2" plates out of T6061 Aluminum for 10$. They give me a good solid base for use with C-clamps.

firebrick43
04-03-2011, 11:58 PM
I really don't understand the response about the lee bench plate. Many of the responses are from those never owning or using one.

First they are quick. Yes you have to use a #2 phillips to turn the screws but they don't have to be torqued down hard and it takes less than 20 secs to change out a press. Who doesnt have a screwdriver on their reloading table? I need one all the time for other things and it's right there anyways.

Second the hard wood plates are cheap/easy to reproduce. Any 3/4" by 4 wide hardwood can be cut easily to use for additional presses. I use some scraps of hickory flooring. Quite stunning when waxed due to it beautiful grain. While the possibility of a flaw cause issues 3/4" hardwood is just as stiff as 1/4" aluminum. And steel is stronger than aluminum for a given thickness.
Yes you can't set an iron on it?so what for many, I dont lubrisize and if I did I would buy one with a built in one anyhow, some may enjoy this feature. But the additional blocks are free for many where additional aluminum ones add cost.

As far as the "Swiss cheese" block included with the lee press, keep it for a template.

Also I dont see why one gentleman thinks that you can not mount other things on the lee bench plate. I have a gunsmithing vise, a small belt sander, a hand crank grinder, and a bench block. The last three are not for my loading bench but a bench in my shop.

Now please don't think I am saying that the lee block is superior to the rockblock. I don't know as I don't have one. The rockblock does look well made!

I would just hope that some would hold their tongue before talking about something the know nothing about. Out if thee pages I only saw three who actually used one.

fryboy
04-04-2011, 12:28 AM
actually the plywood is less resistant to splitting than a hardwood might be , usually ( depending upon the grade ) plywood is also stronger than most wood , but yes the blocks are easy to make as well as economical as heck , i just acquired my third bench plate in a trade . i'll do the same as before - i'll inset it flush with the bench and countersink the holes and use screws to attach it so it will be flush when the press and brackets are removed , this one will be for my shotgun presses and i'll finally be c-clamp free , if i had a steel bench top i'd just use the z brackets , i've thought of having a aluminum one milled for the one sizer that could use a lil heat , it would be simple just make the block deeper , another possiblity would be to make a block thicker and mill down the edges for flanges and drill it out for the lyman heater ( but all that takes money which is in short supply ATM ) for the price and the ease of use it was worth it to me , of note ? the lee reloading stand uses the same system and has storage room for two additional mounted presses, while that's nice it was the shelf for turrets that caught my eye - that could be handy ! as for my presses , i made a couple wood shelfs that the blocks slide into ( one below my bench and one above ) i love having some room back !!

hk33ka1
04-04-2011, 02:27 AM
I have all my Lee Presses (Load Alls too) and accesories mounted on the Bench Plate blocks and have been very happy with them.

I find 3/4" plywood fits best. Early Plates shipped with plywood, the newer ones with hardwood that is a tad too thick to work well. Cut your own from 3/4" ply and be happy.