PDA

View Full Version : All of the stars must have allined

DIRT Farmer
05-20-2010, 10:53 PM
I have tried PP a lot of times over the years with the result being the smell of burnt paper and from the number of shots, a lot of lead in the barrel or a real mess. Today I picked up a Lyman 311284 bullet that had not been sized, cut a strip of a ASCS form, (US goverment Ag paper work) dry wraped it on the bullet, put 30 gns of IMR 4350 and looking around the kitchen the only thing I could find for filler was some Andy's Cajun fish breading, corn meal based. Now I know that it has salt in it but the rest of the story.

I bought a S #4 Mk1 marked US property at a gun show some time ago that had a 2 grove barrel. It had been sporterised and looked good It apeared good in the barrel seemed to work good. When I got it home, I cleaned the barrel and checked the throat and bore. Not good, as in big and about three inches that looked like not so much rifling. I don't rember the mesurements now But I tried the biggest bullet I had the 314299. Slots not round at 25 yds if it hit the paper. With some HXP mil surpluss. 6 inches at 50 yds.

I had decided to look for a barrel but I tried the PP bullet. Wow round holes 2 inches at 25, 3.5 inches at 50.

Now the question, will it be nessary to haw Fox news on while loading, use fish breading as a filler ( and will the brand matter ) shoot in a drizzle and only on Wensdays to get it to work?

303Guy
05-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Only work on Wensdays? Dunno. I don't like to work on any day that ends in a 'Y'!:mrgreen:

First off, get that salt residue out that bore! Then, I would get some wheat bran to try out. If it doesn't work, just chuck it in the fish tank! The worst it can do is kill the fish.:roll:

I haven't tried enough of it to say for sure but initial tests indicate it might just work to improve the workings of Cast boolits in two-groovers. I should go out and do some tests right now but it's cold and wet and I'm feeling lazy![smilie=1:

DIRT Farmer
05-20-2010, 11:19 PM
I shoot M/Ls so I knew to put the water to it. It just amazed me to walk up to the dozer pile and see round holes in paper. Thinking of another round of the same load then start working up some to see what happens. Do pressure signs get "sudden" with filler?
I will go to town and get some corn meal tommorow, look for wheat bran to. I did have some brewers malt but getting it in the case look probmatic.

I recovered one casting, about the back half, noted the GC shank was appx .22.

303Guy
05-20-2010, 11:43 PM
I recovered one casting, about the back half, noted the GC shank was appx .22. That's interesting! I've heard of that sort of thing but not seen it for myself. I'm wanting to test fire a 4350 load with a G/C design PPCBoo and wheat bran filler. I haven't dared go as low as 30gr with 4350. I'm unaware of sudden pressure rise with filler but I am no expert. Adding extra filler and compressing it some did seem to improve combustion. That would need to be tested properly to be considered fact or not. I just had a look at the bore of the gun I fired it in and it is still impressively clean and shiny (haven't cleaned or preserved it since firing it. :???:) It's the shinyest it's ever been! The properties of wheat bran just seem to be so conducive to being a good case filler but that's just an impression! It doesn't seem to compact and bind when given the chance to absorb moisture, it's soft and compressable and fills the void in the case and is 'springy'. Only tests will show.

303Guy
05-20-2010, 11:50 PM
It just amazed me to walk up to the dozer pile and see round holes in paper.I had something similar - I tested some early PPCBoos and found one load that shot good at 40-50yds. Tried them at 190yds and got shotgun patterns but the holes were round! I decided that those loads were too hot - not the cause of the problem but just an observation on my shoulder. Not painful but not comfortable either! I'm a wuss! I like light recoil!:mrgreen:

rhbrink
05-21-2010, 07:34 AM
Dirt farmer? Now for the question might want to check the moon phase, zodiac sign, and consult with the local witch too.

Glad to hear that you had some success! Good luck try it again!

I haven't failed but feel more like Thomas Edison "like someone mentioned" I've just found about 500 ways that won't work! For me anyway. O'well about 9500 more ways to try.

303Guy
05-21-2010, 04:30 PM
What I've found is that there are so many variables and aligning them in the right order is like aligning the planets. That's what makes it so much fun!

DIRT Farmer
05-21-2010, 10:01 PM
I thought it was so neet I shot up what was left of my 4350. I did find some self rising corn meal in the camper so it wasn't just the Cajun fish breading. Question; the load is so tight that I have to bump the load in smartly. No chance of unloading without fireing the load. The paper is 3.6 thousands on my mike. I am wraping to the nose, the bullet I loaded and knocked out had marks almost to the case mouth. I guess try thiner paper and try? Or do I wrap to the front of the band before the crimp grove?

After shooting the ground looked like a confetti bomb had exploded. I am twisting a hard tail, appx 1/4 inch long and find them intact 20 to 25 yds in front of my 50 yd line.

DIRT Farmer
05-21-2010, 11:32 PM
rhbrink

I haven't failed but feel more like Thomas Edison "like someone mentioned" I've just found about 500 ways that won't work! For me anyway. O'well about 9500 more ways to try.

Well with the price of crops and the weather, something has to work. (lol)