PDA

View Full Version : newby w/ more questions

wayne h
05-20-2010, 05:24 PM
if you have a groove dia of .308, a cb bullet that drops at .309 dia do you have to size the cb down prior to patching? why do you size the cb after patching won't this tear the paper? dumb questions i know, but i want to try pp cb's in my 30-06. thanks wayne h

pdawg_shooter
05-20-2010, 05:28 PM
I size all my cast bullets to .001/.0015 over BORE diameter before patching. After patching, I lube and run through a Groove sized die (+.001/.003) to remove excess lube and "iron on" the patch. Why? That is the way that gives me the best accuracy with the best velocity.

303Guy
05-20-2010, 05:45 PM
wayne h, you'll no doubt have read a bit of confusing stuff here. Some of us have seriously worn old military rifles we patch fore and that requires sizing the boolit to suite the throat as best we can. I'd assume your rifle is near mint in which case, do as pdawg_shooter does.

In the absence of a suitable sizing die, you can simply patch up and size to .308 but you will likely not get the best accuracy but it is a place to start as long as you are:roll: aware of the less than satisfactory results you will get (I'd do that 'cause I'm impatient and would to shoot the thing as soon as possible). A trick you can try is to patch up, size to .308 then pull off the patch and re-patch the now sized core. Results might still not be optimum but again, it's something to 'play with' while waiting on your new appropriate dies!

docone31
05-20-2010, 06:27 PM
I size my casting to .308. This uniforms it, and reduces the lube lands. I then wrap twice with notebook paper. Once the patch is dry, I apply car wax and size it to .309.
Most of my paper patch rifles are target rifles.
Once I did this, my groups got smaller, my bores stayed shiney.
It really is simple.
The paper jacket replaces the copper jacket. Loads are the same, dimensions are the same.
Well, you have to add a touch to the paper, but essentially it is the same.

6.5 mike
05-20-2010, 07:37 PM
You can do it either way. Unless you have all the sizers you need, for me, it's been easier to wrap then final size to whatever you need. The lee push throughs work very well, & can be fitted to any size without much trouble.
I'm going to be trying paper patched in my 03A3 tomorrow for the first time with a 200 gr lee boolit.

wayne h
05-20-2010, 09:39 PM
thanks guys for advice and opinions. i am shooting 17 enfields and m1 garands, funny that these barrels are all pretty much pristine, which does not happen often enough. i have converted to cb's due to the economy of them and just a desire to do something a different way. i will keep experimenting until grouping improves and leading goes away. thank you wayne h

303Guy
05-20-2010, 09:52 PM
And thank YOU for injecting more fun into our forum, wayne h. I'll be watching for your progress. Have fun!:drinks: