PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic grease cost, WOW.

Changeling
05-20-2010, 02:18 PM
One of the lubes I am going to make is with 100% synthetic grease. I could not find Castrol Syntec like I wanted but did find 1 lb tub of Mobil 1, it was $9.00 at Pep Boys. Thought that was rather high! Just letting you guys know.

Bill*
05-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Maybe Manny needed a cigar, Moe needed a haircut, or Jack needed new glasses :kidding:
(hope I'm remembering them correctly)

spqrzilla
05-22-2010, 10:47 PM
That is pretty high IMO. I think I bought an unbranded synthetic grease from Walmart for a third of that.

Dale53
05-23-2010, 12:32 AM
That price is about right - Advance Auto Parts has a Mobil One Synthetic grease cartridge for $7.99 and it is only 12.8 oz, as I remember.

It comes highly recommended for cylinder pin lube for black powder cartridge revolvers (extends shooting time before cleaning).

Good stuff, tho'...

Dale53

bruce381
05-23-2010, 02:43 AM
do not know why a syn grease is needed. advantage over mineral oil is lower temp range for use and longer aservice life both of which are not needed are they?
bruce

richbug
05-23-2010, 07:30 AM
do not know why a syn grease is needed. advantage over mineral oil is lower temp range for use and longer aservice life both of which are not needed are they?
bruce

Generally a syn grease will take higher and lower temps without burning.

buck1
05-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Nothing ventured , nothing gained!
It sounds like it should work well.
I am NOT trying to tell you what to or not to do, just adding a thought.
The cheepo Lithum greese that runs about $2-$3 a tube gets my .308 up to 2500 fps and gives MOA groups, from a 14"bbl with no leading.
Just something to kick arround...Buck

Hip's Ax
05-23-2010, 10:59 AM
That price sounds about right to me. I had a NM M1A built 4 or 5 years ago and the smith lubed it with Mobil 1 synthetic grease so I wanted to stay with the same. Got a pound at Pep Boys then and if I recall correctly it was roughly $7 at that time.

Rocky Raab
05-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Let me guess ... you're making your own lube to save money, right? How many $9 a pound ingredients does it take to be cheaper than a bottle of LLA?

(Just trying to inject some humorous perspective here, guys.)

fryboy
05-23-2010, 12:10 PM
that made me smile lolz ( ur humor worked rocky lolz )
if i went on a wild guess ..i'd guess that perhaps 1/4 of the folks are lookin for a cheap/cheaper lube ,another 1/4 are after the holy grail ( ie; cost be danged ) perhaps another 1/4 just follow the pack the rest pay no attention and just want something that works per their criteria and to be able to say " i made it myself"

years ago ( more than i care to think ) my step father worked at a place that made grease,oil products and synthetics ( yes i know hindsight is pretty hard ) but back then the cost of true synthetic's was astronomical it was hard to want to run ur truck on oil that cost upwards of $70 a gallon when the old cans of oil was about a quarter- forty cents ,if i had foresight i would of stock piled the stuff ( eh i was young and raisin kids so it wasnt a priority back then ) sadly in truth inflation is on the rise so everything is costing more ( and can we get it cheaper as a group buy ? lolz)

Changeling
05-23-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm doing it because I want to do it. I don't think it is any secret that you can buy it already made cheaper.

Changeling
05-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Nothing ventured , nothing gained!
It sounds like it should work well.
I am NOT trying to tell you what to or not to do, just adding a thought.
The cheepo Lithum greese that runs about $2-$3 a tube gets my .308 up to 2500 fps and gives MOA groups, from a 14"bbl with no leading.
Just something to kick arround...Buck

Hi Buck, I'm making a batch of your Lithium based lube also. I just decided to go with a batch of 100% synthetic also.