PDA

View Full Version : Why no Zinc?

jsmart
05-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Hello everyone, let me start with the facts that I'm very new to guns, and even newer to reloading and casting boolits. I've lurked around a while and finally ordered a Lee single stage and two-banger to start rolling my own for my lil .380.
I've seen lots of references to culling the Zinc ones out of your WWs and how to do it best but I was just wondering why. I know Zn is a potent toxin when inhaled, of course so is Pb (Zn is much quicker in the damage done). Is that why? And on a related note, what about Zamak (Zinc/Aluminum alloy)? Would that be safe/wise to use?
Thanks,
Justin

colonelhogan44
05-19-2010, 11:45 PM
Apparently zinc screws with the alloy's characteristics (when present over a certain level), making pouring very difficult.

qajaq59
05-20-2010, 05:20 AM
To put it simply, zinc doesn't like to fill all the nooks and crannies in the molds, so it is best avoided in your alloy.

fredj338
05-20-2010, 04:58 PM
To put it simply, zinc doesn't like to fill all the nooks and crannies in the molds, so it is best avoided in your alloy.
Zinc melts at a higher temp. This seems to cause the alloy to spearate some, makes fine details like grooves, diff to fill out. Best avvoided or used for fishing sinkers.

hoosierlogger
05-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Zinc melts at a higher temp. This seems to cause the alloy to spearate some, makes fine details like grooves, diff to fill out. Best avvoided or used for fishing sinkers.

or cannon balls.

lwknight
05-24-2010, 01:51 AM
Zinc is just a pain to deal with. Clean lead is such a pleasure.
Zinc is best when sold to scrapyards.

DLCTEX
05-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Try it, you won't like it. More than 2 percent zinc will not alloy with lead and separates into an oatmeal like slush unless heated to really high temps. At those temps you are in danger of creating vapors that would be harmful. Use heightened caution if you play with zinc.

markinalpine
05-24-2010, 03:37 PM

Try it, you won't like it. More than 2 percent zinc will not alloy with lead and separates into an oatmeal like slush unless heated to really high temps. At those temps you are in danger of creating vapors that would be harmful. Use heightened caution if you play with zinc.

And besides, if you get too much zinc mixed into your casting alloy, all your children will be born naked (nekkid, in Texan) :kidding:

jsmart
05-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Ok, thanks everyone. I'll go ahead and post the link that had me thinking about the Zamak. I may try it someday but probably not with an aluminum mold since the Zinc can dissolve it. I just thought it would be nice to be able to cast with something so readily available (pennies and scrap aluminum), impossible to outlaw/ban and actually pretty cheap (as long as your using scrap AL).
http://www.gizmology.net/stovetop.htm
Justin