PDA

View Full Version : I used chainsaw chain lube on my sprue plate

Bkid
05-19-2010, 10:15 PM
I used some Husquvarna chain saw chain lube on my Sprue plate. It worked really well. The galling stopped and the sprue holes quit sticking lead. My mold worked really well. I am not sure if any of you have tried this before,just curiouse?

Doby45
05-19-2010, 11:46 PM
I "heard" that the 2 stroke oil is the same as Bullplate. I will be trying, cause I already have some out in my garage.

Bkid
05-20-2010, 10:05 AM
I "heard" that the 2 stroke oil is the same as Bullplate. I will be trying, cause I already have some out in my garage.

Just any kind of 2 stroke oil? I used the chain lube because it is designed to take a lot of heat. Is the 2 stroke oil or bullplate applied with every use?

bigboredad
05-20-2010, 11:54 AM
I have some synthetic 2 stroke oil left over and have been using it and has been working really well. I don't know if you should or not but I do use it at the start of every casting session

Dframe
05-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Haven't tried it myself but it would seem logical since chain lube is specifically designed for high heat applications.

Rockchucker
05-20-2010, 02:32 PM
That's nothing! I use Bullplate lube in my 2 stroke engines and seems to work very well. Just mix one bottle to a gallon of gas and there you go. Kidding aside, both seem to work equal and there are no lead smears on the face of the blocks or sprue plate.

Bkid
05-22-2010, 03:34 PM
That's nothing! I use Bullplate lube in my 2 stroke engines and seems to work very well. Just mix one bottle to a gallon of gas and there you go. Kidding aside, both seem to work equal and there are no lead smears on the face of the blocks or sprue plate.

I have tried the chain lube in my Ford van and it worked well. Not joking. The old van leaked a lot of oil and now leaks very little. It sounds better also. That old van keeps on going.
I may give the 2 cycle oil a try.8-)

JIMinPHX
05-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Chain saw chain lube is designed for high heat? Does anybody have a reference on that?

thenaaks
05-22-2010, 07:18 PM
i'm with jim on this...bar and chain lube is thick and sticky so it doesn't sling off. if anything, the 2 stroke oil would be meant for higher temps...as in combustion chamber temps.

i use silicone oil meant for r/c car shocks...it's what i had and doesn't burn off and leave a mess. i'm too cheap to buy bullplate lube...maybe when my current supply is exhausted.

JIMinPHX
05-22-2010, 10:19 PM
I've been using hi temp grease from the auto parts store for quite a while now & it's been working OK. It was cheap & its a far cry better than pencil lead, soap stone, or boolit lube, but it's not as good as Bull plate. I just got my first bottle of Bull plate & it was well worth getting. A little goes a long way too. I think that one bottle will last me at least 10 years if I don't spill it.

I haven't tried 2-stroke oil or chain/bar lube.

blaser.306
05-22-2010, 10:38 PM
The difference between the two , 2 stroke feeds the oil industry and the Bull plate lube feeds a family ! I have used it and liked it and for the money I'D rather send it to a member than big oil !!!

Bkid
05-23-2010, 12:19 AM
The difference between the two , 2 stroke feeds the oil industry and the Bull plate lube feeds a family ! I have used it and liked it and for the money I'D rather send it to a member than big oil !!!

Yep I agree , I just used what I had .

PatMarlin
05-23-2010, 12:34 AM

Super mega ditto's on that statement... [smilie=6:

Doby45
05-23-2010, 12:54 AM
Need to make it simple to order online. Just an easy little Pay-Pal button. I have been to the Bullshop and I can't see how you order anything online. Looks like you have to call and that can be inconvenient, say I wanna go ahead and order some lube right now, do I call at 12:53AM?

cheese1566
05-23-2010, 01:04 AM
Drop a couple bucks in the mail. Good things come to those that wait. It is spring time and outdoor activities are picking up for them, (outdoor projects, gardens, home maintenance, and other self sufficient living chores).
:cool:

PatMarlin
05-23-2010, 01:09 AM
Need to make it simple to order online. Just an easy little Pay-Pal button. I have been to the Bullshop and I can't see how you order anything online. Looks like you have to call and that can be inconvenient, say I wanna go ahead and order some lube right now, do I call at 12:53AM?

Doby- folks do business here at Cast Boolits a little different then the rest of the world sometimes.

Just email him with an order request, and I'm sure you will be taken care of.

Welcome to cast boolit heaven! ..:drinks:

Doby45
05-23-2010, 01:15 AM
Oh, do not take what I said as a complaint. I would say it is more of a "suggestion". Make it simple for the buyer and the buyer will reward you with their money.

wiersy111
05-23-2010, 01:37 AM
I have ordered from Bullshop by simply shooting them an email and they are very prompt about replying. Like a meat head I did spill about half my first bottle. It goes to a good family.

bruce381
05-23-2010, 02:37 AM
Chain saw chain lube is designed for high heat? Does anybody have a reference on that?

Chain bar oil is normaly just sraight base oil with a tackifier added.

No high heat additives at all though it is also made with "line wash" which is the oil flushed from blending tnaks and filling lines when a product changeover is done so you can aslo have bits of engine, trans,gear and hydrualic mixed into chain bar oil at any given time.

Bruce

bruce381
05-23-2010, 02:41 AM
there are variuos types of 2 cycle oil most notable is ASLESS and ASH forming types.

Ashless for marine applications and ash types for small motor cycle and lawn mowers.

Both will be have a base oil some times a heavy synthetic base stock (like 50wt) diluted with solvent to allow easy mixing with fuel.

Bruce

JIMinPHX
05-23-2010, 05:40 PM
I too found the Bullshop website a little confusing. I took my best shot at figuring out what the shipping & merchandise totals were, added it all up, sent them a money order with a letter stating what I wanted & what they could short me on if I had made a mistake in my calculations. They sent me a package that I was quite happy with.

Doby45
05-24-2010, 12:20 AM
I sent an email, got a response back and will be putting a check in the mail in the morning. Have not wrote a check in close to a year. :)

shotman
05-24-2010, 01:48 AM
the bar oil is a single base oil the hotter it gets the thinner. If you get it inside you are going to have old woman looking boolits. You need Kroil inside for manlley looking boolits

RayinNH
05-25-2010, 09:25 PM
If you get it inside you are going to have old woman looking boolits. You need Kroil inside for manlley looking boolits

shotman, you really know how to paint a picture :lol:...Ray

Elkins45
05-25-2010, 11:16 PM

I sent him a PM with my order and my mailing address. He told me the amount of a check to send and where to send it.

I sorta drug my feet about sending a check, figuring it's no hurry when I finally get around to ordering some. Imagine my surprise when what should appear in my mailbox yesterday but two bottles of Bullplate. I whipped out a check and sent it his way.

That's the kind of service to a community that deserves to be recognized. Not many sellers are willing to send a product before even getting payment.

Buckshot
05-27-2010, 01:08 AM
I sent him a PM with my order and my mailing address. He told me the amount of a check to send and where to send it.

I sorta drug my feet about sending a check, figuring it's no hurry when I finally get around to ordering some. Imagine my surprise when what should appear in my mailbox yesterday but two bottles of Bullplate. I whipped out a check and sent it his way.

That's the kind of service to a community that deserves to be recognized. Not many sellers are willing to send a product before even getting payment.

..............The last couple of orders I've done with the Bullshop has been a note listing what I need and a blank check.

.................Buckshot

PatMarlin
05-27-2010, 06:29 AM
Dan and his family at the Bullshop headquarters are folks that have all of the respect I can muster up and then some.

I don't know where all this garbage is coming from by new members coming on board here at CB and claiming to know what his product is made of and discounting it, but that just needs to stop.

I really don't understand the mentality ...:roll:

Rockchucker
05-27-2010, 08:31 AM
Dan and his family at the Bullshop headquarters are folks that have all of the respect I can muster up and then some.

I don't know where all this garbage is coming from by new members coming on board here at CB and claiming to know what his product is made of and discounting it, but that just needs to stop.

I really don't understand the mentality ...:roll:

The way I see it no one needs to be flaming another for his product, and there is no doubt that Dan is good people and his product isn't great. Whats is being said though at least by me is 2 stroke (a high quality one) oil is as good a product for lubing a sprue plate and the top of the blocks when used as directed. Cast boolits is a place for new members and old ones alike to learn and enjoy this Hobie. If a new or old member has an idea that's works as well or better why not share it with all members. I for one am not knocking Dan or his product, but do believe 2 stroke oil works just as well and can be bought locally everywhere and with no freight. If my statement isn't in the best interest of all members here then I best be moving along cause I'm not slamming anyone./ Ron

PatMarlin
05-27-2010, 12:14 PM
The way I see it no one needs to be flaming another for his product, and there is no doubt that Dan is good people and his product isn't great. Whats is being said though at least by me is 2 stroke (a high quality one) oil is as good a product for lubing a sprue plate and the top of the blocks when used as directed. Cast boolits is a place for new members and old ones alike to learn and enjoy this Hobie. If a new or old member has an idea that's works as well or better why not share it with all members. I for one am not knocking Dan or his product, but do believe 2 stroke oil works just as well and can be bought locally everywhere and with no freight. If my statement isn't in the best interest of all members here then I best be moving along cause I'm not slamming anyone./ Ron

Not sure I fully understand the contradiction Ron, and I had directed my words to posts that have been since edited here, but I have no problem with a member new or old saying something works as good as an avaible product whether offered for sale here or abroad.

What I do have a problem with is- a new member, coming on board with 5 posts total and writing that they claim to know in fact what the product of one of our members is made from, and suggesting another.

degruix
05-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Cast boolits is a place for new members and old ones alike to learn and enjoy this Hobie If a new or old member has an idea that's works as well or better why not share it with all members. I for one am not knocking Dan or his product, but do believe 2 stroke oil works just as well and can be bought locally everywhere and with no freight.

I could not agree more with this statement.

I have been lurking here for years, and have learned so much. If it wasn't for this site I would not be casting bullets.

When I recieved my bottle of bullplate after looking at it, smearing some on my fingers, and smelling it. I was convinced it was 2-stroke marine oil thinned with kerosene.

After reading this post:
there are variuos types of 2 cycle oil most notable is ASLESS and ASH forming types.Ashless for marine applications and ash types for small motor cycle and lawn mowers., and noticeing it left a residue on my brass mold where it was sitting on my melt, now I believe it may be regular 2-stroke oil thinned with kerosene, I will experiment with some stihl oil and see what the difference is, I might even have some marine oil laying around to try.

What I do have is a problem with a new member, coming on board with 5 posts total and writing that they claim to know in fact what the product of one of our members is made from, and suggesting another.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, that is all it is, an opinion. No one has said anything bad about bullplate, I use it and it works good. The only thing is, now the cat is out of the bag, and it is not going back in. I and alot of others are convinced it is 2-stroke oil and there is nothing wrong with that, anyone who looks at it is going to think the same thing. If we are wrong, so be it, but I doubt we are wrong. I am sure the bullshop will continue to sell the product and make money doing so.

..............The last couple of orders I've done with the Bullshop has been a note listing what I need and a blank check.

.................Buckshot

I do not know of a single post complaining about bullshop.

"dismount soapbox"

Freightman
05-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Man from AK it may be bear grease, but it works and even as broke as I am what he charges isn't going to hurt and his children will have shoes.

PatMarlin
05-27-2010, 12:47 PM
. The only thing is, now the cat is out of the bag, and it is not going back in.

"dismount soapbox"

Now the cat is out of the bag? I fully stand by my words.

bigboredad
05-27-2010, 04:00 PM
i hope people didn't misunderstand my post I'm not claiming I know what is in bp or not I was just saying I had some 2 stroke left over from my riding days and decided to try it. It has worked ok for me but I have not had the same results that others did who use the real bp. I was just saying I am financially challenged right now and will be using that til I can get the real bp