PDA

View Full Version : 209 primed pellet rifle.

Hickory
05-19-2010, 07:26 PM
This is sort of different.
A .177 cal pellet rifle powered with a 209 primer.
Might be just the ticket for city dwellers with a varmint problem.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0076779217338a&navCount=8&podId=0076779&parentId=cat20815&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat602007-cat20815&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20815&hasJS=true

thenaaks
05-19-2010, 08:24 PM
wonder how many fps that thing would push a pellet?

felix
05-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Check out the reference on that web page. The skirts of the pellet are blown off. Not good. BB gun only. ... felix

Buckshot
05-20-2010, 02:11 AM
..............They also make a very simple single shot pistol for doing the same thing and sell 4.5mm lead RB's for it in 250 unit tins. The pistol uses a 'swing to the side' breech.

.............Buckshot

NickSS
05-20-2010, 05:16 AM
You can buy a spring piston air rifle that you can plink with all day and not have to by 209 primers at 4 or 5 cents each to do it with and it will build up your arm mussels cocking it too!

rhead
05-20-2010, 05:22 AM
Back when I was a teenager (Mid sixties) a friend of one of my buddies took a starter pistol (22 blanks) a section of barrel from a scrapped pellet rifle and took a drill press to the cylinder and a hack saw to the plugged barrel. When loaded cap and ball style with a .177 pellet it would hit a # 10 can from about 20 feet and give an exit hole. I have no idea of the velocity.

Pavogrande
05-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Regarding the skirt coming off -- load the pellet base first -- works quite well --

dk17hmr
05-20-2010, 07:56 PM
I have some modified 22 hornet cases that will hold a 209 shotgun primer. Push 22 caliber pellet in the neck and load in my Handi rifle.....kills birds very dead and is very quiet.

trooperdan
05-20-2010, 08:25 PM
$350 for that rifle! Might get my interest at half that!

mac1911
05-20-2010, 09:02 PM
you could find a old crosman 1400 22cal pumper for 50-100 bucks that is not very load and hits pretty hard. 500-600 fps for a pumper. the .177 cal can get load as they break 1200fps.

Johnny_Cyclone
05-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Try this on for size:

Gun Digest
From Mexico, With Love
September 23, 2008
by Dan Shideler

http://www.gundigest.com/article/MexicoLove/?print=1

.22 blank .177cal rifles

"Our friends at the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives apparently consider the Cabanas to be a firearm, according to this definition:

“DEFINITION OF “FIREARM”: 18 USC § 921(a)(3), (4). Any weapon (including a starter gun) which will expel a projectile by means of an explosive or is designed or may be readily converted to do so.”

This was a quick search, there could be more info out there.

jorge python
05-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Mendoza is another pistol and rifle brand "made in Mexico" that uses .22 rf blanks to propel .177 lead round ball or pellet. Quality is assorted.

scrapcan
05-21-2010, 12:51 PM
look up convert-a-pell. Then you don't have to buy a new gun. Just use the conversion with an existing hand gun. I have one that works quite well for a 4 5/8 Ruger vaquero.

oh heck here is the link

http://convert-a-pell.com/

EOD3
05-21-2010, 02:04 PM
I don't know about "normal" states but, in the PRK it would be considered a typical firearm. A projectile expelled by chemical means. If you were to put a single kernel of 2f in the base of the pellet, you might be able to call it a black powder rifle.

oldoak2000
05-21-2010, 02:09 PM
$350 for that rifle! Might get my interest at half that!

for about 1/100 that amount $, you can just get a box of these:
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=AU&prodID=AU1B222339&prodTitle=Aguila%2022%20LR%2020%20gr%20Super%20Col ibri%20500/fps%2050/box

to use in your .22 rimfire - much easier and effective!

trooperdan
05-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Manleyjt, how much does that convert-a-pell sell for? I didn't see any prices on the web site.

TD

Multigunner
05-21-2010, 03:50 PM
There were once adverts in the back of magazines for a .12 caliber cap and ball pistol. The image of the gun showed what looked to be a repro Peacemaker.

I never ran across one of these, but always figured it used birdshot and some sort of primer as the charge.

After WW2 German small game hunters occasionally had spring piston air rifles converted to use vaporized wood alcohol as a propellant, to achieve .22 RF energy levels, some may have duplicated .22 WMRF ballistics.
The conversion used a simple fuel injector that sprayed the Wood Alcohol into the cylinder just as the piston was released by the trigger. The gun fired by a deisel effect.

I've squirted lighter fluid down the bore of a Crosman M1 Carbine before cocking it, and it gave an impressive increase in velocity with a mild report and smoke poured from the muzzle.

I'd like to see that idea developed a bit, I might take a stabb at building a prototype deisel gun one day. Be nice to have a fairly powerful small game rifle that did not require powder or primer, and didn't depend on expensive high pressure pumps or Scuba tanks like the PCP air rifles.

StarMetal
05-21-2010, 04:20 PM
There were once adverts in the back of magazines for a .12 caliber cap and ball pistol. The image of the gun showed what looked to be a repro Peacemaker.

I never ran across one of these, but always figured it used birdshot and some sort of primer as the charge.

After WW2 German small game hunters occasionally had spring piston air rifles converted to use vaporized wood alcohol as a propellant, to achieve .22 RF energy levels, some may have duplicated .22 WMRF ballistics.
The conversion used a simple fuel injector that sprayed the Wood Alcohol into the cylinder just as the piston was released by the trigger. The gun fired by a deisel effect.

I've squirted lighter fluid down the bore of a Crosman M1 Carbine before cocking it, and it gave an impressive increase in velocity with a mild report and smoke poured from the muzzle.

I'd like to see that idea developed a bit, I might take a stabb at building a prototype deisel gun one day. Be nice to have a fairly powerful small game rifle that did not require powder or primer, and didn't depend on expensive high pressure pumps or Scuba tanks like the PCP air rifles.

When I was in high school I believe a friend of mine had one of those cap and ball Peacemakers as you referred to it. The gun was plastic with a steel tube liner in the barrel. You pulled the hammer back and there was a slot in the receiver where the firing pin would be in a real cartridge gun that you slipped a cap into. The cap was tore off a roll of caps that you used in a cap pistol. If I remember correctly we roll a #6 shot down the barrel. It was powerful enough to break a 100 watt light bulb as a little distance. Ask me how I know. :oops:

scrapcan
05-21-2010, 05:07 PM
trooperdan,

I did not see a price on their new page so have not idea. I bought mine new in package from a friend at a gunshow. I sent one barrel back to them and they traded me straight across for the shorter barrel insert. I can not argue with that.

I think if you send them a message they will get right back to you, that was my experience.

challenger_i
05-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Several years ago, I took a shot-out 1911 barrel and turned down an old .22 rifle barrel cut-off to fit. Cut the chamber to fit a 209, and a pellet. As was mentioned, before, it would blow the skirt off. And, also as mentioned before, I turned the pellet around and she shot beautifully. Made target practice, with a 1911, way cheaper, if a little fiddly. Kept the stray cats out of the garden too!

StarMetal
05-21-2010, 08:46 PM
To give you an idea of how much power the 209 primers have a fellow on one of the big black powder muzzle loader sites wanted to test the differences between the brands of 209's. He couldn't think if a way within his mean when he discovered a way by accident. He has a special target muzzle made up in, I believe in 32 caliber, and it uses a 209 primer system. He forgot to load the powder and just the primer sent the ball down to the 100 yard target. The light went on in his head. He set up his chronograph and started shooting balls down range and recording the velocity between the different brands of primers. Two things were interesting to me. One was that they were flying over 300 fps. The second is he stated he shot a pretty respectable group with just the primers.....at 100 yards!!!

No wonder they blow the skirt off a pellet.

Multigunner
05-21-2010, 11:12 PM
When I was in high school I believe a friend of mine had one of those cap and ball Peacemakers as you referred to it. The gun was plastic with a steel tube liner in the barrel. You pulled the hammer back and there was a slot in the receiver where the firing pin would be in a real cartridge gun that you slipped a cap into. The cap was tore off a roll of caps that you used in a cap pistol. If I remember correctly we roll a #6 shot down the barrel. It was powerful enough to break a 100 watt light bulb as a little distance. Ask me how I know. :oops:

I suspected those might be cast resin, they were too low priced for even die cast metal.
I remember my little brother had a similar plastic single shot peacemaker that propelled hollow plastic bullets by means of a Greenie stick on cap.

Similar deringer style pistols fired round cork balls using the greenie stick on caps.

Chalenger
Your .22 liner idea might work best with the .22 round ball, these have been available for use in pelletguns.

PS
Some friends in England told me years ago that the rather expensive Brocock PCP revolvers they had used as film props had been outlawed. At the time they couldn't find out why.
Later I found that the brocock revolvers, which are very well made and solid for airguns could be turned into lethal weapons by altering the air cartridge to accept a .32 theatrical blank, and a cast lead ball, bullet from a .22 rimfire cartridge, or fishing sinker as projectile.

JIMinPHX
05-27-2010, 06:08 PM
For that much money, I think that I'd just buy a real nice pellet rifle that didn't need the primers. Primers = added cost, something to clean, possible legal classification of the rifle as a firearm & not an air gun. there are plenty of real nice air guns out there these days. I see no reason to fool with this thing.

sagacious
05-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Years ago at a gun show I got a 22-cal rifled insert for a 1911 barrel, and seven 45ACP hardball "cartridges" machined out of solid brass. The cartridges have a standard LP primer pocket, an enlarged flash-hole, and a 22cal bore that hold a 22cal pellet press-fit. The primers can be pressed in firmly by hand, and fired primers removed by hand with an included tool or a nail. The "cartridges" are charged with primer and pellet, and loaded into the magazine. I load the pellets backwards, as another post also indicated. They shoot fine to 10yds, I haven't tested at further ranges.

Makes for good, quiet target practice with the 1911, but is kind of fiddly. Aguila Colibris and a 22 pistol are considerably more versatile, and just as good for close-range target practice, but don't load from a magazine.

Shooter6br
05-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Not that its too expensive , just it is to ornate for my tastes...LOL