PDA

View Full Version : how many name there rifles

jballs918
07-31-2006, 09:49 PM
and what are the names for them and what caliber. interested as i got 5 of them with no names. yes im bored at home and the wife is out of town

Vegas Vince
07-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Many years ago in Boot Camp in our beloved “CORPS” we had to name are rifles. The DI ask me my rifle’s name and I responded, “Rotten Crotch” Sir!! :roll: He turn to me and said my rifle had to have a first and last name. I responded she does Sir, her first name is Rotten, and her last name is Crotch. The DI smiled and put the brim of his Smoke Bear cover on my forehead and said “private you just might make it in my F@## CORP.” :drinks:

Most guys named their rifles after a girl, wife or their mothers, but since that day I have never name a rifle or pistol.

NVcurmudgeon
07-31-2006, 11:58 PM
It all started with my .260 Rem. 700 Mountain rifle. I told the gunsmith who put it together that it thought sandbags were a new kind of trampoline. He promptly named the rifle "Nadia Comenici." Since then, "Civilizer" (Krag carbine,) "Evita" (1891 Argentine,) "The Colonel" (.35 Whelen,) "Hugo the Yugo" (Yugo 1948 Mauser,) "Pierre Escargot" (1936 MAS,) and "Bruno" (CZ 452) have been named. Others, less obvious, have not been named, nor have any pistols or the lone shotgun. It may be because I tolerate shotguns, sort of like pistols, but love rifles.

steveb
08-01-2006, 12:19 AM
I have named one. One of my Rossi 92's chambered in 357MAG...Maggie
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/steveb3006/Hartford%2092/MaggieMae.jpg

BruceB
08-01-2006, 12:29 AM
Well, since you asked....

I've owned probably several hundred firearms of one sort or another over the last fifty years, and until a fairly-short time ago I'd never named a single one.

However, one of my very most-favored rifle types is the #4 Mk 1/2 .303, my relationship with which goes back to about 1955, when I joined our local Royal Canadian Army Cadet Corps. Lads of fourteen and older were eligible, and were trained in many military skills and citizenship principles.

At the local small-mining-town Corps (#2499 if it matters!) we possessed about 100 #4 Rifles, five or six Bren LMGs and maybe a dozen "C#7 Rifles", which were .22 Long Rifle single-shots, identical to the #4 .303 except that they had a pretty decent click-adjustable rear sight, and of course the mods needed to handle .22LR. ALL these firearms were stored in our Corps facilites, in the BASEMENT OF THE HIGH SCHOOL. Not only that, but we had a rollaway targetbacker-cum-bullet-stop, in one of the dead-end hallways in the school. Many, many thousands of rounds were fired down that corridor.

An Army-sponsored program of summer camps existed in Canada at that time, as well as corresponding programs for Sea Cadets and Air Cadets. In the Army program, a first-year-at-camp Cadet took the "Cadet Leader Course". In following camp years, the choices were many...Motor Mechanics, Signalling, Cadet Senior Leader, Rifle Coaching, Band, and others.

So, I arrived at Camp Dundurn, south of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, early in the summer of '58 for a nine-week Leader course. This was a heck of an adventure at 15 years, a thousand miles from home and playing soldier for the summer! Among the "kit" issued on our first day, was a very nice Long Branch #4, #85L7408 (anybody seen it?????).

That rifle went virtually everywhere with me, including outdoor movies and swim parties. The old soldiers (mostly WW II or Korean veterans, in the '50s) wanted us TOTALLY familiar with the rifle, and living with it was the best way to do it. MANY hours were spent with drill rounds and chargers, learning to load it FAST and we spent a surprising amount of time live-firing as well, all the way out to 1000 yards.

I have an abiding love and deep respect for the #4 Rifle. Although I've owned quite a few over the years, I finally came up with the perfect specimen. This is a Fazakerly-built postwar #4 from 1955, and it was NEW-NEW when it came to me. I thought it was worth a name, and came up with the affectionate moniker of "Miz Liz", chosen because (a) the rifle is beautiful, and (b) the most beautiful Brit I could think of was Elizabeth Hurley.

The only other rifle here with a name was christened by some kind soul on an earlier version of this Board. It's my 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer 6.5 sporter, which the gentleman referred to as "the Old Dear"..and the name stuck, at least in my mind.

Hmmm....well, you DID ask, didn't you...?

jballs918
08-01-2006, 12:41 AM
i have to find out the name of my great grandma on my dads side. my winchester started with my great granddad

charger 1
08-01-2006, 07:11 AM
the wife is out of town

After or before the gun naming started

Hip's Ax
08-01-2006, 07:46 AM
My rifles that do have names acquired them on their own. The first is "Annie", a favorite Anschutz prone rifle. The next is "Thumper" a 30-338 Win Mag target rifle. After that is "The Hammer" a 260 Remington target rifle that shoots way better then it probably should. Last is "Fish-A-Ma-Jig", a Remington 37 whose action once belonged to a friends Grandfather and this name comes from a favorite story of him in a restaurant. The rest of my firearms are so far nameless.

arkypete
08-01-2006, 08:18 AM
I'm rather dull and short of memory. I've got The 405, The 1886. The AR10, The Goldcup, etc.
If I tried to name each weapon I'd have to tape the name on the piece just so I'd remember.
I do have three named 'The go to' all are 45 Colt S&Ws.
Jim

marlin.45
08-01-2006, 08:25 AM
My Marlin 1894 is called Emmy named after my gran on my mothers side. Reason being I bought it with a small amount of cash left to me by my Gran when she passed away some years ago.

Herb in Pa
08-01-2006, 08:26 AM
My shooting buddies in Idaho named my AR15 "The Black Stick of Death" after seeing it work it's ways on the whistle pigs out there.

Dutch4122
08-01-2006, 08:27 AM
Only one so far has earned a name, my USRAC M94 in .307 Winchester. From the blind this rig has developed quite a reputation at our deer camp for dramatic one shot kills that fold a deer up on the spot. The most memorable shot was on a buck walking right toward my blind at spitting distance of about 15 yards. Shot was straight to the chest and picked him up off his feet, setting him down on his rump, suspended upright for an instant. He fell over and twitched twice. Stone dead. My Dad commented, "That little .307 Carbine really knocks the snot out of 'em."

After that I've called her "Snot-Knocker."

felix
08-01-2006, 08:40 AM
"Get that one, without the scope, on the far left, in that closet." ... felix

BOOM BOOM
08-01-2006, 03:27 PM
HI,
Only 1 has earned a name.
The 7MM/06 is BABY, it is a mark X mauser built by P.O. Ackley.I stalked it & carved it. The stalk is hollowed out, along w/ the bolt handel & magizine. It is glass bedded & mag-na- ported. The barrel is browned to cut refection, the stalk has 24 coats of linseed oil.

mike in co
08-01-2006, 04:30 PM
does calling one........"you piece of sh*t" count as naming ????

Billwnr
08-01-2006, 09:50 PM
I had to join just to add to this thread. I shoot in cast bullet matches and one of my rifles was letting me down again as it has done multiple times, and during that match I named that rifle "Christine" after the Stephen King novel.

I also refer to this rifle as "that evil #$%%".

Yesterday I bought this rifle's replacement.

rigmarol
08-02-2006, 06:11 PM
My Mosin Nagin I call "Rooskie"
My SKS I call "Yugo"
My .500 S&W I call "Mongo"
My .475 Wildey I call "The Machine"
My Grandfather's squirrel gun is "Gramps Gun"
My .45 CZ by the bed is always "The Gun"

My son in Iraq named his M16 "Melody"

lovedogs
08-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Only a few of my locker full of guns have names. It started a few years ago with Big Bertha, a Winchester Heavy Varmint. She's a real heavyweight at 11 1/2 lbs., scoped and full of .22-.250 shells.

Then my Buffalo Classic .45-70 got named Juanita 'cuz she handles real nice like a girlfriend I once had down in Saltillo, Mexico. I sometimes wish I'd hung onto her. I don't ever plan on parting with this Juanita.

Several times I've thought of naming an old 788 .22-.250 The Tin Can Special 'cuz they were so cheap and feel that way, too. But the old Varminter is one of the best shooters I own and I don't want to insult it for fear it might start shooting poorly.

And, of course, my McMillan-stocked custom .25-06 is called Black Death 'cuz it's black and is instant death to whatever it comes in contact with. Not very original but it fits.

Blackwater
08-02-2006, 10:36 PM
My Marlin Guide gun I call "Snuffy," 'cause that's what it does so very well. My shotguns? Well, it depends on how THEY are shootin' on any particular day. On good days, they get nice names. On bad days .... well, you know.

Bucks Owin
08-02-2006, 11:34 PM
"Ol' Betsy"

1960 Ruger Blackhawk 10" .44 mag "Flattop" model

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/Flatt001.jpg

Bucks Owin
08-02-2006, 11:45 PM
Then my Buffalo Classic .45-70 got named Juanita 'cuz she handles real nice like a girlfriend I once had down in Saltillo, Mexico. I sometimes wish I'd hung onto her. I don't ever plan on parting with this Juanita.

sigh.....

Reminds me of "Evangelina".......(who wasn't a firearm either) :violin:

Dennis

Bullshop
08-03-2006, 12:59 AM
We have an 18" barrel Win feather weight in 458x2" we call little big gun.
BIC/BS

9.3X62AL
08-03-2006, 01:11 AM
Like Mike in CO, most of the names I give my guns are neither nomenclatural nor usable in polite company. The most recent recipient of such labeling was the Marlin 94 in 25-20, but more positive work from it during its last couple range trips is salvaging its reputation.

Two sidearms I used during my career got named--I still have both. One is the S&W M-686 x 4", known as "The Truck". Like a truck, it is rugged, over-built, neither flashy nor racy, but utterly reliable in all respects.

The other is probably the most-carried gun of my entire career, my SIG-Sauer P-226......"The Good Friend". Yeah, it's a 9mm, and I'm not fond of the caliber's lackluster rep for stopping fights--but the thing was always there for me, and seemed to be there whenever s--t happened. Of all my guns, it could tell the most and best stories.

Both sleep in my nightstand every night, and would be among the last material possessions I would ever part with. One of my partners used the 9mm for a couple years, and it was returned about a year before I retired.

Four Fingers of Death
08-03-2006, 06:29 AM
I've always called my 9mms (firstly the CZ75 and now the 92FS) the brass chucker and my old MkX Interarms 3006 which my son now owns is called old painless by the family after a Texas heart shot on a feral goat which caused the goat to drop on the spot without a twitch and drilled a huge hole front to back. Mick.

MT Gianni
08-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Mick, I have always heard a "Texas heart shot" referred to as a hit through both hams. My son called a Ruger 22 auto "Sweetness" and that's the only named gun in the safe. Gianni.

1Shirt
08-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Vages Vince, My first Garand in the Corps never got a name! Was just far to busy on Paris Island to think about naming it. However, after reading you, think if I had had the time, would have named it something like "Chesty", or "Lou Diamond", or "John Bastion" after one of my Corps heros. Hated to turn it in, as it had the prettiest wood on any Garand that I have ever seen. Semper Fi!
1Shirt!

Four Fingers of Death
08-03-2006, 07:08 PM
I forgot I had an old M17 that my wife named 'Big Bertha.' I was going to call my current M17 Sgt York, but I found out that while his regiment used M17s, he had a 03' because he prefered the sights for running Germans, easier to lead, poor ba$tards. Mick.

357maximum
08-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Back when my marlin 444S was my ol mans', my mom named it Bertha, it has stuck, and is my only named gun.

Doughty
08-07-2006, 10:58 AM
My Ruger #1 in .33 Krag is called "Witchin Stick." You don't really have to aim it. You just get it in the general vicinity of game and it seems to find game and aim it's self.

13Echo
08-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Every gun (howitzer) in my battery had a name but the only firearm in my rack with a name is Thumper, the .50-70 Springfield.

Old Vic - ".33 Krag"? Care to elaborate.

Jerry Liles

Doughty
08-08-2006, 09:40 AM
13Echo,

.30-40 Krag necked up to .338.

Hip's Ax
08-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Every gun (howitzer) in my battery had a name but the only firearm in my rack with a name is Thumper, the .50-70 Springfield.

Old Vic - ".33 Krag"? Care to elaborate.

Jerry Liles

Funny how some names get used over and over, here's my girl "Thumper" a 30-338 long range target rifle. Me thinks yours Thumps more!

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/uploaded/Hips%20Ax/200688102345_30%20338.jpg

Timbo
08-08-2006, 01:57 PM
I have several Spanish made Rolling blocks, all built in Oviedo Spain in the 1880's. Whichever one I may be shooting at the time is affectionately referred to as my "Spanish Aquisition."

I also have a Copenhagen built Rolling Block that (of course) is referred to as the "Great Dane."

Timbo

VTDW
08-08-2006, 03:12 PM
My circa '78 .444S is Hammer and my 2002 444SS is Thor:drinks:

Dave :cool: