PDA

View Full Version : Pay attention to WHAT about this rifle?

Naphtali
05-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Moderator:

If this thread should be elsewhere, please do what need be done.
About 125 miles up the road, a Spanish side-by-side 45-70 rifle is for sale. The manufacturer is L.I.G. Elgoibar - who I think makes/made Mercury shotguns and, perhaps, other medium priced doubles. The seller knows essentially nothing about the rifle. I know essentially nothing about the rifle; I don't have a clear idea what I should discover about the rifle to confirm I should make an offer or avoid it.

According to the seller, the metal is in very good-excellent condition. But this tells me nothing about the rifle's quality or integrity. Photographs sent don't tell me much - it looks like any of a bazillion nice double guns - boxlock, tang safety, double triggers, modest engraving, half-pistol grip, nice wood for the metal finish, three rear sight blades. But all photographs show action closed. The seller wants me to visit and see the rifle for myself. A 250 mile trip is not my favorite recreation. Is there any merit to driving to see the rifle? What do I look at on it - I refer to the metal, not the wood - to clarify its desirability?

Among things I think might be important are:
1. [Describe] the action. It is a boxlock. Underlug or LUGS? Any top bolting?

2. How are barrels affixed to one another? They appear to be jointed via monobloc. [Describe] fastening forward of it.

3. Do its double triggers have intercepting sears, or does safety only act upon triggers?

4. [Describe] lock work.

5. Are barrels regulated? For what range are barrels regulated? For what load(s)?

6. At what pressure-power level are barrels proofed? I shoot Marlin 1895 45-70 rifles at their significantly higher pressure level than 1873 Springfield levels, or the intermediate level. For what cartridge overall length?

7. Extractors ONLY, or ejectors? If ejectors, selective, or non-selective?

8. [Describe] method of foreend attachment.

9. What is the date of manufacture/proof? When was rifle originally sold at retail?
What items on my tentative list are important? What other information do I need to decide whether to make an offer?

KCSO
05-19-2010, 02:16 PM
EIG-Eibar I would guess. The Urgartecha ? shotguns are made there and they are some of the worlds finest. They also make cheaper guns of lesser quality. The gun should be good for standard loads but without examining the parts for hardness I wouldn't venturre a guess on anything more. Some of the spanish guns are a tad soft in the metal. I would pull the locks and check for wear and deformation. This is one you really need to SEE first hand.

Naphtali
05-19-2010, 08:05 PM
EIG-Eibar I would guess. The Urgartecha ? shotguns are made there and they are some of the worlds finest. They also make cheaper guns of lesser quality. The gun should be good for standard loads but without examining the parts for hardness I wouldn't venturre a guess on anything more. Some of the spanish guns are a tad soft in the metal. I would pull the locks and check for wear and deformation. This is one you really need to SEE first hand. I suspect there's no way around doing what you recommend - if I'm seriously considering the rifle.

bohica2xo
05-20-2010, 12:08 AM
The seller is right, you need to look at something like this in person.

1) Open it & look. Fit is important.

2) Observe the muzzle & ribs. It may be brazed or soldered. The color of the metal joining the tubes should give you a clue.

3) Most shotgun based double trigger systems are simply a trigger block. You would need to remove the locks to know for sure.

4) Again, beyond the word "sidelock", any more detail would require removing the locks.

5) A safe bet they are regulated. Range? Probably what ever range the center sight leaf is sighted for. You will have to shoot it from the bench to find out where they actually regulate with any particular load.

6) European proofs generally include a pressure rating. The proof mark can be researched if need be.

7) Uh, this will be obvious as soon as you open the action & remove the barrels. Do they WORK? that is the important part.

8) "Secure" would be good on a DGR. Snap on stuff is common for that make, high grade stuff has a mechanical latch that you pull out to release the forend.

9) As long as it has a proof, good enough. Dates can sometimes be established with the help of the Blue Book. "Sold at retail"? Meh, used is used.

I would go look at it. Pull the barrels and make sure they "ring". If is something I want, a couple hours on the road is no big deal. I have in fact driven farther for "lunch". Make a day for yourself. Perhaps the seller has something else you would be more interested in...

B.

wv109323
05-20-2010, 09:55 PM
The LIG (La Industrial Guipuzcoana) is a company that makes primarly shotguns sold under other names. From what I could find quickly was this gun was probably imported in the 1970's and retailed around $250.00
In American Guns I would compare it with the Savage 311 but with parts far harder to find if needed.