PDA

View Full Version : Stoeger Double Defense Shotgun

jim4065
05-19-2010, 12:29 PM
This looks like it may be just what I need.....[smilie=w:

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_double_defense.php

Anybody got one yet? I don't really like ported barrels, but that may make the 12 a bit more comfortable for practice. Let's see - 41 #4 Buck per 3" shot X 2 shots........:bigsmyl2:

wills
05-19-2010, 12:34 PM
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/images/double_defense_large_blue_12.jpg
Looks like it needs batteries, and has to be turned on before use.

jim4065
05-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Yah. The more I look at it - the only parts I like are the single trigger and the light rail under the barrel. Oh well.

Gee_Wizz01
05-19-2010, 01:47 PM
I saw one of these a Gander Mountain, and had to chuckle when I saw the asking price. They were asking around $400! I am not a fan of having a flashlight mounted on my shotgun and don't care for the scope mount on top. Its a shotgun, point it in the right direction and fire. If someone likes this thing more power to them. I prefer simplicity.

G

Crash_Corrigan
05-19-2010, 06:09 PM
I have an old 12 side by side shotgun for which I have not use other than a HD or truck gun. It has 30" barrels at this time but I plan to cut them down to 20" or less and reinstall the brass bead on the shortened barrel.

I also would like to put on a recoil pad as this thing in the present configuration kicks like a mule due to the configuration of the stock.

Howeve for a HD shotgun I believe that this is the way to go. Simple, handy and reiliable.

dk17hmr
05-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Aside from the scope on top I like it. If it was rifled than it would be usefull with the scope but as a HD gun no need for it. I have a Stoeger over under 12 gauge and like it very much.

Lloyd Smale
05-19-2010, 09:09 PM
give me a rabbit earned coach gun!

jlchucker
05-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Why ported? If you use that in your house on an intruder, the muzzle blast will deafen you. If you use it outside, without ear protection, a couple of shots will likely deafen you. Maybe Stoeger thinks that in the middle of the night, when you hear an intruder, you'll remember to put your ear protection on. I for one don't use a scope even on rifles, most of the time. So far I can see well enough at shotgun distances where I don't need one on a scattergun, either.

jh45gun
05-20-2010, 10:16 AM
I have a Model 97 cut down to 20 inches. Works for me!

Gee_Wizz01
05-20-2010, 01:26 PM
In the past I used an 870 with a 20" barrel. A few years ago, I got an NEF Pardner Protector with an 18" BBL and 5 shot magazine. They were on sale for $139.00. It is basically a chinese copy of an 870. The 870 trigger group works in the Protector, but the barrel band is further from the receiver which prevents using an 870 barrel. Anyway the protector is rugged and reliable and resides bedside with magazine full of 4 Buckshot and 00 in the stock mounted shell holder. It also has a sling in case I need to leave the room. Mamma knows how to use it also. When I am out at the ranch, I like the 5 round capacity. Most of the things hanging around at night are coyotes and occasionally a 120 lb kitty.

G

Lloyd Smale
05-21-2010, 08:25 AM
thats a styling home defense gun. Id love to have the same but ive only got on 97 and i couldnt put a hacksaw to it.
I have a Model 97 cut down to 20 inches. Works for me!

wiljen
05-21-2010, 08:44 AM
Ah to live in the land of the tacticool. That one is almost as good as the H&R break open 12 with the AR stock and handguard, the big flash hider, and the rails all over it. How tacticool can you be with 1 round?

Curlymaple42
05-21-2010, 09:27 AM
I suspect that is a red dot scope, not a regular scope. Sort of like putting an Eotech on it. Problem is, the damn Eotech or Aimpoint would cost more than the silly gun!! That IS cool looking though. I would rather have a Rem870 though with extended mag or my AR15 in .50Beowulf.

Throckmorton
05-21-2010, 10:28 AM
IF I was one of those folks that called a scatergun a 'shotty'..that AIN'T gonna happen.. I might buy that abomination.

might

jim4065
05-21-2010, 12:00 PM
I feel like Brett Favre lookin' at a TV. From a HD standpoint:

1. Ported barrel - cuts down on jump - increases noise. Not sure that additional noise is a problem for me (already lost most of my hearing) but may be a problem for the opponent.

2. Top rail - don't have to mount it because it comes "loose in box" - additional cost still there.

3. Bottom rail - useful for a light and/or laser - comes mounted on the gun.

4. Three inch chamber - mo' betta for HD - can practice with 2.75" shells.

5. Black stock - can strip it down - costs extra to replace it.

6. Front sight - does stand out in light - looks mickey mouse.

7. Single trigger - faster than double trigger - no barrel selection.

8. Extractors - cheaper than ejectors - not as good for HD.

9. Ugly - don't show it to anyone - keep in a paper sack.

:confused: What did I miss? :confused:

wiljen
05-21-2010, 12:25 PM
I feel like Brett Favre lookin' at a TV. From a HD standpoint:

1. Ported barrel - cuts down on jump - increases noise. Not sure that additional noise is a problem for me (already lost most of my hearing) but may be a problem for the opponent.

2. Top rail - don't have to mount it because it comes "loose in box" - additional cost still there.

3. Bottom rail - useful for a light and/or laser - comes mounted on the gun.

4. Three inch chamber - mo' betta for HD - can practice with 2.75" shells.

5. Black stock - can strip it down - costs extra to replace it.

6. Front sight - does stand out in light - looks mickey mouse.

7. Single trigger - faster than double trigger - no barrel selection.

8. Extractors - cheaper than ejectors - not as good for HD.

9. Ugly - don't show it to anyone - keep in a paper sack.

:confused: What did I miss? :confused:

Expensive on a per shot basis.

When I can buy a Rem 870 or Mossberg 500 used for $200 or a Maverick 88 New for that....

jim4065
05-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Yah - break action much shorter for a given barrel length - more shots in magazine of pump or auto.

Combat Diver
05-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Couple of points on the Savage. Stock is hard wood, top rail is removable. There are Red Dots that do not take batteries ie Trijicon and Aimpoints have up to 80,000 hr battery life (8760hrs/yr) Red Dots are great for CQB work. A mirco Red dot such as a JPoint would be great on one of these. Look at Paraklese Tech. for some 2.75" 18 pellet OO buck loads. I like a light on my HD guns that stand in the corner as you have to positively ID your target and most senerios happen at night. Better to have and not need then need and not have.

Just my .02 cents
CD

6.5 mike
05-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Model 37 ithaca, 20 in bbl, 8 rds 1 3/8 plated BB's, not bad on my end, shreads hell out of whatevers on the other. This one is a factory riot & I don't mean the laugh kind.

Mk42gunner
05-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Couple of points.

1. There is enough drop on that stock that if you sight through the center of the optical sight it would feel like Nick Lowery kicked your jaw.

2. If the light has to be mounted to the gun, a momentary switch on the forearm would be better.

In my opinion, a Remington Model 870 is very hard to beat.

Robert

jh45gun
05-23-2010, 01:28 AM
Couple of points.

1. There is enough drop on that stock that if you sight through the center of the optical sight it would feel like Nick Lowery kicked your jaw.

2. If the light has to be mounted to the gun, a momentary switch on the forearm would be better.

In my opinion, a Remington Model 870 is very hard to beat.

Robert

I agree Robert the 870 is hard to beat but the Winchesters Models 97 and 12 are as good or better for the simple reason there is no disconnector on either of these guns so you can hold back the trigger and each end stroke of the pump forward will fire the gun. You can empty one of these as fast as a semi auto.

jim4065
05-27-2010, 01:48 PM
For self-instruction purposes I (heavily) taped a laser on my pump and cycled the action a few times. That dot moved all over the wall, no matter how "smooth" I tried to do it. This got me to wondering - which is better: Two fast shots from a single trigger double barrel or three slow(er) shots from a pump? If it's a 12 with 3" chamber and #4 Buck, I would think a single shot aimed with the laser would be sufficient for any "home invader". I might be drifting back into the "Double Defense" camp. :veryconfu