PDA

View Full Version : Enfield No 4 MK I information

NickSS
05-19-2010, 05:38 AM
I just picked up a No 4 MK 1 Enfield that is marked AK 1943 and the serial number. It is all complete except the front band has a replacement screw that is either stainless or plated steel and the middle band screw is missing altogether and is replaced by what looks like a rivet. Other than that it has a good stock and excellent bore. The bore looks like it has only two grooves with a left hand twist. Can anyone tell me where I can get parts (screws and a middle band? Also who made the rifle and if a two groove barrel is correct.

509thsfs
05-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Try Springfield Sporters in PA
If two groove it could be either a Savage (U.S.) or Longbranch (Canadian). Serial # can tell you that if not marked somewhere else. Savage ("C" in the s/n) or Longbranch ("L" in the s/n).

218bee
05-19-2010, 10:09 AM
I have a two groove Savage No4 MkI* that am just starting to play with. My groove dia is .316 which scared me at first but I only shot it once with factory ammo 180gr Remington that came with the rifle and with those sights and my bad eyes put ten shots in 5-6" at 100yds which was better than I was expecting. Have not got a mould yet, but hope to play with one soon...Good Luck...

docone31
05-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Numerich Arms has a bunch of parts. I have rebuilt many rifles from them. Mostly Enfields.
I cannot figuire out how to use their new web site, so I hope you can.
Try them.
That is a good rifle. It has a larger bore though. If you reload with jacketed you will need .312s instead of .311s.

atr
05-19-2010, 01:05 PM
I have a savage two groove.....its groove dia. is 0.3165, so beware if you use cast boolits as they have to be on the fat side to work....

Multigunner
05-19-2010, 01:21 PM
I just picked up a No 4 MK 1 Enfield that is marked AK 1943 and the serial number. It is all complete except the front band has a replacement screw that is either stainless or plated steel and the middle band screw is missing altogether and is replaced by what looks like a rivet. Other than that it has a good stock and excellent bore. The bore looks like it has only two grooves with a left hand twist. Can anyone tell me where I can get parts (screws and a middle band? Also who made the rifle and if a two groove barrel is correct.

The end of the band screws are bored out like rivets, when secured they were expanded by a punch to prevent working loose.
Your middle band screw head may be filed down or the slot filled in by grease and dirt.
There are two different types of middle bad that I've seen. One is a stamped sheet metal and the other either cast or forged.
Springfield Sporters is a good source for Enfield parts.

curator
05-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Maltby made 2-groove barrels during the War, and some No4 rifles ended up with a 2-groove barrel after Factry Through Repair (FTR) There's nothing inherently bad about 2-groovers but you do have to approach reloading for them a bit differently. Since this is a cast boolit site let me refer you to this link:
http://www.303british.com/id37.html
Good information about shooting cast in 2-groove Lee Enfields

PAT303
05-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Yep I have a '43 Maltby with 2 groover,it doesn't like anything pointy but will punch 2'' groups all day at 100 with round noser's or bore riders. Pat

NickSS
05-20-2010, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the input.

RugerFan
05-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Try Springfield Sporters in PA

Agreed. Thats the only place I could find a couple parts for my No 4 Mk 1/2.
http://www.ssporters.com/

bubba.50
05-20-2010, 04:51 PM
besides the places mentioned sarco also sometimes has parts for these guns. savage mfg should be stamped "us property" on the beveled surface on left of receiver. longbranch(canada) should be stamped on left with the no4 mk 1 info. anything else probably brit. mfg. good luck with your parts quest. the ones i've had were excellent shooters. my opinion and you're welcome to it. have a good'en friend, bubba.