PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Buffer

raffica
05-19-2010, 03:50 AM
Good Morning.

Question:

You use the plastic buffer to reload for smoothbore?
If yes, you have found improvements?
I want try.
Greetings
Bruno

ReloaderFred
05-19-2010, 11:47 AM
I only use buffer with 00 Buckshot and similar sizes of large shot. It cushions the large lead balls and does improve the pattern. I've never used buffer for smaller shot, since it's expensive and a real pain to get it mixed well with smaller shot.

Hope this helps.

Fred

quack1
05-19-2010, 02:17 PM
I used plastic buffer a lot with large shot (#2 thru BB) for goose hunting when lead shot was legal. Depending on the load and shot size, if I recall correctly, it would tighten up the pattern by 10% to 20%. I added a measured amount on top of the shot charge and held the hull against an electric razor until the vibration made the buffer sift down into the shot. Only took a couple seconds.

Johnch
05-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Yes I use it for large lead and Stell shot
It normaly tightens up the pattern about 1 choke
Like Full to extra full , of IC to mod

BUT IT RAISES PRESSURE
So never just add buffer to a load unless the load is less than 8500 PSI to start with

As from my limmited testing
Adding buffer causes the chamber pressure to increase around 2000PSI on most loads

But those results were in my limmited testing

It might increase the pressure in different loads a lot more

So please be carefull

John

raffica
05-20-2010, 04:40 AM
Ok, Thank's.
I will to reload with the following components:
- Fiocchi Plastic Hull 12/70
- Clever Wad Jacket with shock Cork
- n° 8 # 00 Buckshot ( weight 28 grams / 432.09 grain )
- 2 grams / 31 grain of plastic buffer (total weight of about 30 grams / 463 grain )
- Star Crimp
Powder Nitrokemia Rex Jellow ( to 1 1/8 Oz of lead weight)
here are the pictures:

Dixie Slugs
05-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Interesting indeed, but all buffer is not the same! At Ole' Dixie, we have tried all manner of buffer in our Dixie Tri-Ball loads.....Some would pack and only one would flow. That is Precision Reloading PRPSB22. It is micro ball of Teflon and will not pack! We have used in in special buckshot loads as well as down to #4 nickel shot. Some care must be used with some stuff like flour for buffer....it packs too tight indeed! Just some thoughts along the way!....James