PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Lube-a-matic 2

prickett
05-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Just bought an RCBS lube-a-matic 2 and am not sure I'm using it correctly. Specifically, I'm not sure if I'm cranking the lube screw too much, too often, or what.

Typical operation for me is to size/lube 3 or 4 bullets, then crank the lube screw about an eighth of a rotation, then repeat. Does that sound right? Seems like the screw tightening is a bit of a time waster, having to do it so frequently.

I assume one way of telling you've tightened it too much is if lube starts squeezing up and accumulating on the part that the bullet rests on?

Looks like there is going to be a learning curve with this thing!

94Doug
05-18-2010, 10:20 PM
It's just like a mould. Learning curve. It may depend on the boolit design, the lube, heated or not, etc.... I usually find I crank on each boolit.

Doug

870TC
05-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Lube one and crank, is how it goes for Me, probably 98% of the time with Lyman and RCBS machines.

RobS
05-18-2010, 11:00 PM
It depends on the bullet design.............smaller lube grooved bullets do not require a person to turn the lube rod every time a bullet is to be lubed. Larger lube grooved bullets or bullets with multiple lube grooves that hold larger amounts of bullet lube requires more turns on the lube rod. It is simply learning what works best and taking note to it.

johnmerry
05-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Just bought an RCBS lube-a-matic 2 and am not sure I'm using it correctly. Specifically, I'm not sure if I'm cranking the lube screw too much, too often, or what.

Typical operation for me is to size/lube 3 or 4 bullets, then crank the lube screw about an eighth of a rotation, then repeat. Does that sound right? Seems like the screw tightening is a bit of a time waster, having to do it so frequently.

I assume one way of telling you've tightened it too much is if lube starts squeezing up and accumulating on the part that the bullet rests on?

Looks like there is going to be a learning curve with this thing!

I use a Rcbs and I use LBT blue soft. What I do is turn the plunger down as far as it will go and start sizing bullets. when the bullets come out with unfilled grooves I start turn down the plunger about 1/16 of a turn. it is not much but enough to keep presure on the lube and it also neatly fills in the groove. If you have time to do it right the second time you have time to do it right the first time.

Duckhunter
05-19-2010, 08:25 PM
Hey John, we're just trying to learn to do it right; never done this before. I think I might have a better understanding of how it is done now.

That'll Do
05-19-2010, 08:43 PM
The number of times I turn the lube handle is dependent upon the boolit I'm lubrisizing.

I usually turn the handle until it stops, then lubrisize until I get partially filled lube grooves, then I turn the lube handle again.

I've also noticed that lube hardness/softness plays a part, with soft lube requiring fewer turns.

BruceB
05-19-2010, 11:16 PM
My method is now very different from when I began using a Lyman 45 decades ago.

Then, I would do as most replies to date have detailed. Crank that sucker a couple turns and size until partial filling of the grooves became evident.

Some thought and a LOT of experience has changed that. Now I turn the screw only a fraction of a turn each time a new bullet is installed in the sizer. The number of degrees needed becomes obvious very quickly.

This minimizes the tendency of the lube to flow back around the pressure washer, and more importantly, it virtually eliminates the flowing of lube under and onto the bullet base. Most bullets can be loaded with no further cleaning or other attention.

With efficient management of one's hand motions, very little or even no time is wasted.

cajun shooter
05-20-2010, 10:06 AM
The best way that I came up with is to lube and turn on every bullet. The amount of the turn is a learning process . It is a small amount but it keeps the same pressure on the lube. That is one of the reasons that I ended up with the Star and air cylinder. I'm not putting down on your RCBS as it is a good machine but if you shoot a lot then the Star helps to move the process along. The difference in time is like in 1968 when I brought home my first Lee Loader in 38 spl . I spent several hours on the floor in front of the TV and was tongue lashed every time a primer went off to load 2 boxes of ammo. Oh yes the good ole days.

DLCTEX
05-20-2010, 10:25 AM
BruceB outlined my method.

2ndAmendmentNut
05-20-2010, 10:58 AM
As others have said it depends… I use a hard lube with a heater, and here is what I do. I plug in the heater and let it warm for about 30~40mins then I tighten down the lube handle as much as I can with one hand. Then I go to sizing, depends on the boolit as to how many times I turn the handle. With a 125gr Lee boolit for the 9mms I can lube about 9~12 boolits per turn of the handle. With a Lyman 454190 boolit I only get about 1 or 2 boolits per turn of the handle, (this boolit has two large deep lube grooves.) So you see it depends. After about and hour or so I unplug the heater because other wise it will get too hot and lube starts getting on the bases of the boolits, after another half hour I plug the heater back in. This process repeats until I am done sizing for the day, then I unscrew the lube handle to take the pressure off. I do this because if I forget about the heater and leave it plugged in, and if there is pressure on the lube it will all seep out and make a real mess. Just takes a bit of a learning curve.

chboats
05-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Everyone develops their own rhythm. As long as the boolits are getting lubed and lube is not going all over the place where it doesn't belong, you are doing it right.

Carl

prickett
05-20-2010, 11:00 PM
The best way that I came up with is to lube and turn on every bullet. The amount of the turn is a learning process . It is a small amount but it keeps the same pressure on the lube. That is one of the reasons that I ended up with the Star and air cylinder. I'm not putting down on your RCBS as it is a good machine but if you shoot a lot then the Star helps to move the process along. The difference in time is like in 1968 when I brought home my first Lee Loader in 38 spl . I spent several hours on the floor in front of the TV and was tongue lashed every time a primer went off to load 2 boxes of ammo. Oh yes the good ole days.

Originally I intended to get the Star, but after looking at how much I've already spent on casting equipment (and whose purpose was to save me money) I opted for the RCBS. I am already starting to regret it :-(. The RCBS isn't bad, its just fairly time consuming.

Ed K
05-21-2010, 08:57 AM
It seems that constant pressure on the reservoir is key. I remember seeing someplace where someone set up a pneumatic system to do just that.

sqlbullet
05-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Depend on the bullet in question.

For my 200 grain lee 30 caliber, 5 bullets then 1/4 turn.