PDA

View Full Version : Soup can in 30 - 06

Ben
05-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Years ago ( 20 or so ), I cast the Lee soup can. 30 cal. bullet and shot it in my 30 - 06 rifles. Very accurate as I remember.

I know at that time that I was shooting 8.5 grs. of Unique behind the g/c'd Lee Soup Can bullet and getting some real tight groups at 50 yards.

Do you have a favorite load that you like behind the soup can bullet ? I cast about 200 or so today and I'm ready to load some up, so I just might use your load data.

Thanks,

Ben

NHlever
05-18-2010, 08:25 PM
I've shot a lot of Lyman 311316 boolits over 10-11 grains of Unique to seal the cases better, and they have been quite accurate. These days I'm starting to play with a little TiteGroup since it isn't position sensitive, but haven't gotten around to the 06 yet.

Ben
05-18-2010, 08:28 PM
I was also thinking about trying some Trail Boss, I've shot it with 175 gr. bullets in the 06 with Excellent results. Not certain how it would work with something as light as the " Soup Can ".

Ben

35remington
05-18-2010, 08:28 PM
9.0 W231. 1550 fps. Very accurate.

With the fast powders, I've found accuracy to deteriorate once you get much above 10 grains of Bullseye, Unique, Red Dot, 700X, etc.

I've shot the 9.0 W231 load for many years now, and I can do about 5/8 inch or under at fifty without being too critical at weighing or segregating. Just a casual visual inspection, gascheck, lube and shoot.

When small game hunting, a quenched bullet or cast of linotype reduces meat damage, as straight wheelweights expand some on the closer shots and cause a bit too much bloodshot.

Since the C113F is a bit range limited, I consider it a 125 yards or under design, and the fast powders make more sense (and less noise) than the slower ones like 4759 or 4227 and save a few pennies per shot. Not that these powders produce poor groups, as they shoot wonderfully, but I just can't see the extra blast and noise for a 125 yard load. 1550 with the Soup Can seems just about right, and there's no downside with fast powder.

Ben
05-18-2010, 08:30 PM
35remington

I'll certainly try the 9.0 gr. WW - 231 load !

Many thanks,

Ben

blackpowder man
05-19-2010, 12:11 AM
I shoot the soup can alot in my springfield 03 with 13 grains of unique and it does great, but my remington 721 30-06 won't chamber them. I also shoot the soup can in a 94 win and an old marlin 336t with 8 grains. I use 13 grains not because of the need for speed they just are more accurate in that rifle with that load.

excavman
05-23-2010, 09:15 AM
I have used the 311316 in a lot of 30 cal. rifles over the years, it's my favorite tin can plinker. Unique (10 grs) has been a good all around load. Lately I have been working with Trail Boss and 8 grs seems to work good in about anything with the soup can.

Larry

leadhead
05-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Can someone post a pic of this "soupcan"?
I don't beleive I ever saw one tho I read
about them all the time.
Thanks
Denny

Wally
05-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Ealier this month I tried a 311410 in my '06 with 14.0 grains of red dot (next time I will use "the load")...and a reversed Freechex aluminum gas check--I was very impressed how accurate that it was to 200 yards. it was windy and a poor day to test on a paper target--Hope to do that later this week.

Ben
05-24-2010, 05:28 PM
leadhead :

Here is your photo you've requested of the Lee .30 cal. Lee SoupCan from one of my molds :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/PICT0002-33.jpg

leadhead
05-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks Ben, It looks like a short boolet.
What is the weight?
Thanks,
Denny

Ben
05-24-2010, 08:18 PM
leadhead :

Yes, very short...........Mine, weigh at or around 112 grs. without g.c. and lube.

If you can find a load that your .30 cal. rifle likes, you can just about shoot 2 X the number of rounds from 10 lbs. of alloy that you could with a 212 gr. , 311284, 30 cal. cast bullet.

excavman
05-24-2010, 11:30 PM
Ben,

That boolit looks like you're using a fairly high tin content in your alloy.

Larry

MaxJon
05-27-2010, 05:11 AM
Years ago ( 20 or so ), I cast the Lee soup can. 30 cal. bullet and shot it in my 30 - 06 rifles. Very accurate as I remember.

I know at that time that I was shooting 8.5 grs. of Unique behind the g/c'd Lee Soup Can bullet and getting some real tight groups at 50 yards.

Do you have a favorite load that you like behind the soup can bullet ? I cast about 200 or so today and I'm ready to load some up, so I just might use your load data.

Thanks,

Ben
Hi Ben,
can you please explain the term "soup can"?? Is it short stubby FN projectiles??
Can you recommend one for my .308 Mauser??
Keep up the great work Ben, thanks to you mate for teaching me to pan lube with your fantastic bullet lube article!!!

Ben
05-27-2010, 07:49 AM
excavman :

No not really, I'd say that my alloy has less than 2% tin content. The macro - shot can be a little misleading. My bullets do fill out well as I run the mold pretty hot and the alloy equally hot also.
__________________________________________________ _____________

bullbarrel033 :

Thanks for your generous comments bullbarrel033, glad you got something out of that article.

I didn't give the bullet the name " Soupcan", some one else has done that ( although I'll admit when you compare it's shape to a soup can there is certainly a similarity ) .

Lee made the mold many years ago, it has been around for 20 yrs. or longer. Lee doesn't use the name " Soupcan ", they identify the mold as C309-113-F . Yes, it is short, and to me it doesn't look like it would be very accurate, catch is that it can be VERY accurate. The bullet has a long bearing surface. About 80% or so of the bullet is in contact with the bore, this probably aids in the stability of the bullet in flight.

For someone that is on an " Alloy Budget " and wants to get the maximum number of rounds down range from a pound of bullet alloy, this little bullet may be worth looking into for your favorite .30 cal. rifle.

Lee molds are very inexpensive and one has little to risk in the purchase and use of one of the molds. With a $19.79 investment, you easily add the mold to your inventory :

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=480790

Thanks,

Ben

MaxJon
05-28-2010, 05:47 AM
excavman :

No not really, I'd say that my alloy has less than 2% tin content. The macro - shot can be a little misleading. My bullets do fill out well as I run the mold pretty hot and the alloy equally hot also.
__________________________________________________ _____________

bullbarrel033 :

Thanks for your generous comments bullbarrel033, glad you got something out of that article.

I didn't give the bullet the name " Soupcan", some one else has done that ( although I'll admit when you compare it's shape to a soup can there is certainly a similarity ) .

Lee made the mold many years ago, it has been around for 20 yrs. or longer. Lee doesn't use the name " Soupcan ", they identify the mold as C309-113-F . Yes, it is short, and to me it doesn't look like it would be very accurate, catch is that it can be VERY accurate. The bullet has a long bearing surface. About 80% or so of the bullet is in contact with the bore, this probably aids in the stability of the bullet in flight.

For someone that is on an " Alloy Budget " and wants to get the maximum number of rounds down range from a pound of bullet alloy, this little bullet may be worth looking into for your favorite .30 cal. rifle.

Lee molds are very inexpensive and one has little to risk in the purchase and use of one of the molds. With a $19.79 investment, you easily add the mold to your inventory :

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=480790

Thanks,

Ben

Hi Ben,

I will get one of those moulds, as you say not much of an outlay!
The only thing that i could see a negative with it is that seating depth would be a minium = increased freebore/bullet jump???? I usually like my bullets about 20 thou. off the lands. Think it would be hard to achive with this little fella! How do you seat the soup can in your .30/06?:):):):)
BB033

excavman
05-28-2010, 07:50 AM
IMHO the bullet jump/free bore thing is way overblown. If it was as much a problem as some think then a revolver couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Larry

HABCAN
05-28-2010, 11:05 AM
excavman...........a HUGE Amen!!

Char-Gar
05-28-2010, 01:20 PM
The Lee Soup Can was much used and shot by member of this board a number of years ago. It has produced some outstanding results. It was among one of the first six cavity group buys we did. Most of the guys were using Unique or something comparble.

Char-Gar
05-28-2010, 01:21 PM
The Lee Soup Can was much used and shot by member of this board a number of years ago. It has produced some outstanding results. It was among one of the first six cavity group buys we did. We had it made large enough to use in the "fat 30", but could be sized for the traditional 30 as well. Most of the guys were using Unique or something comparble.

Ben
05-28-2010, 02:11 PM
bullbarrel033 :

The front drive band of the " soup can " bullet ( you'll see when you buy one ) engages the rifling easily on my all of my .30 cal. rifles. There will be little to no " free jump ", you'll see.

When I 1st used the bullet, that was one of my concerns also. Once you use it, you'll see that is a " non - issue ".

I seat mine so that when the bolt closes, there are very light rifling marks on the front band of the bullet.

Thanks,
Ben

Greg
06-01-2010, 12:10 PM
what is the as cast diameter of the soupcan, and maybe a mention of alloy used

Ben
06-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Mine run around .313 with ACWW's.

Ben

lonnydk
06-30-2010, 11:20 PM
I use this in my 30-30 94 trapper with 6.5 grains of unique, tumble lube and no gascheck. No leading and a great load for all around fun and critters from coyote and smaller.

MaxJon
12-27-2010, 07:32 PM
bullbarrel033 :

The front drive band of the " soup can " bullet ( you'll see when you buy one ) engages the rifling easily on my all of my .30 cal. rifles. There will be little to no " free jump ", you'll see.

When I 1st used the bullet, that was one of my concerns also. Once you use it, you'll see that is a " non - issue ".

I seat mine so that when the bolt closes, there are very light rifling marks on the front band of the bullet.

Thanks,
Ben
Hi again, Ben!
I got a soupcan off ebay (MADCOMMANDO) Cheap! Cant wait to try it! I will let you know results! How does it feed in your rifle for fast follow up shots? I have been shooting the RCBS 82014 (180gr. FP) with feed problems! The flat point seems to be larger than that of the soupcan, but from your pics, seems to cut nice holes on paper!
Also should i crimp this baby in place? or just seat it and shoot? Heard crimping can improve accuracy?
Regards, BB03