PDA

View Full Version : FreeChex III youtube video using harbor freight arbor press.

vonnieglen
05-18-2010, 04:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YJKOUe1FRc

Approximately two years ago I purchased a FreeChex II from a guy named Charlie on Ebay to make gas checks for my cast bullets. It is a great tool which I used to make thousands of Gas Checks. I don't have any connection to him other than being a happy customer who posted a video on youtube. A few months ago Charlie sent me a handmade prototype of his latest invention, the FreeChex III. He wanted me to use it so I could give him some feedback before he started selling them. The FreeChex III is the ultimate gas check making tool. Everytime you pull the handle down on the arbor press another gas check is cut and formed.

This tool is much harder to produce than his previous models. I was shocked when I saw that he had some on Ebay today for just a few dollars more than the FreeChex IIs. I know that he told me that his costs for producing it a few months ago were much higher. I would advise anyone serious about casting bullets to jump on this as soon as possible. This is the type of thing that comes along only every once in a while and often becomes unavailable shortly afterwards.

I am using a $49 arbor press from Harbor Freight. I bolted a 1x2 with a 3/4" hole to it's plate to hold the anvil part of the FreeChex III steady while I slide aluminum strips through the slot and punch out gas checks as fast as I can pull the handle. Anyone who has made their own gas checks using other tools will not believe how fast you can churn them out with this tool. I am sure I can produce at least 200 in five minutes and will post video to prove it.

As far as using this tool with a loading press... it is not the right tool for the job. Spend the $49 for a cheap arbor press and save your loading press for the precision jobs it was intended for. Can you frame a house with a tack hammer? Probably, but is it a good idea?

edsmith
05-18-2010, 06:13 PM
it don't get any better than that.

crowkiller2
05-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Charlie sent that link to me today.
Very impressive indeed. I believe 1000 checks per hour would be no problem with this die.

DukeInFlorida
05-26-2010, 01:59 PM
The FreeChex III that Charlie sent to me recently has a long tenon at the "fat end" of the tool. I found that rather than running the tool "UPSIDE DOWN", as was demonstrated in this video, I run it with the tenon end up. That allows the FreeChex to FALL out of the tube (gravity is a good thing!), into an awaiting bin. I ran 1400 pcs in less than an hour. Mostly because I didn't have to stop at the end of each strip, to empty the tube. I run strip after strip after strip, and they just keep falling out of the bottom of the forming tube.

vonnieglen
05-28-2010, 11:23 PM
I agree that using the FreeChex III so that the checks fall out is a much better way to go. I am going to try and figure a way to use my prototype this way in the arbor press. It shouldn't be too hard a problem to figure out.

I will try to post pictures of the FreeChex III checks. I think because of tighter tollerances they are better looking than the ones from the FreeChex II. There is no more of the "bottle cap" look.

mikes shop
06-25-2010, 07:34 PM
We are interested in a .41 gas check die. Do you know if Charlie makes these. How do we contact Charlie. We are leaving for Alaska in less than a month and need to have an answer for or take some gas checks with us to a friend. A prompt reply would be greatly appreciated.

44 mag nut
06-26-2010, 11:37 PM
I looked Freechex III on ebay and he does not have one for the 41 mag.

insanelupus
06-29-2010, 05:14 PM
I noticed on ebay he stated these checks have a more "rounded" cup than the FreeChex II which had a more square cup to them. I know on my bullet bases I don't care for rounded bases at all, I want them as square as I can get them for accuracy. Has anyone noticed a difference in accuracy between the FC II and FC III? Are the checks from the FC III noticeably different in exterior profile to say Hornady gas checks?

DukeInFlorida
07-01-2010, 05:57 PM
He sells these ONLY through eBay.
So, go onto the eBay site, and do a search for FreeChex...

You'll see the available listings.

We are interested in a .41 gas check die. Do you know if Charlie makes these. How do we contact Charlie. We are leaving for Alaska in less than a month and need to have an answer for or take some gas checks with us to a friend. A prompt reply would be greatly appreciated.