PDA

View Full Version : Scope mounting

Beekeeper
05-18-2010, 08:44 AM
I Have mounted a lot of scopes in my life but now am having some trouble with one and need your advice.
I have mounted Luopold base and rings.
When I install the scope and do the rotate the scope routine to ensure centering it is all over the place.
I am lucky to be able to hit 20 inches of berm with it and know my old eyes aren't that bad.
Have read every thing I have on how to correct the problem but to no avail.
Would like to hear any ones ideas that might help.

Jim

GBertolet
05-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Did you adjust the scope after firing your initial shots? Centering the scope is for getting a neutral position to start from. Ideally when the gun is zeroed you will be as close to this position as possible. On the Leupold mounts you can adjust for windage by using the 2 opposing screws on the rear base. If your elevation is that far off you may have to place a shim under the rear, if the gun shoots low, and under the front if it shoots high. You didn't mention what rifle you are using, or if you have one or two piece bases.

deltaenterprizes
05-18-2010, 09:35 AM
I hope you did not use the scope to turn the front ring, you may have bent the scope tube.
Start at 25 yards to get the bullets hitting on the paper and move out to 50 yds and then 75 or 100.

docone31
05-18-2010, 09:42 AM
First off, check for integrity. Make sure the rings are in the correct order.
Next, check for alignment. I like to remove the bolt and from a distance, line the vertical hair corresponding to the bore.
Then, I take a blank paper, or plate. Set it out at range distance. I fire to make one hole. I then align the cross hairs to that hole, and bring the group up.
For me, much faster than useing a target grid. I can see the hole against a large white background.
They are tricky, with older eyes, but it can be done.
Once, recently, I have this nice Ruger M77 Target in 20-06. I got this Uber scope for it, mounted it with the Ruger rings, and put it away till recently. I went to the range with some well dialed in loads, set it up to fire, touched a round, and the berm next to the target made dust! I was waaaay off with the scope.
It was the rings! The stock Ruger rings were so far off it was amazing. Why I didn't catch it when I installed it I will never know. I mean, when I looked at the scope to the barrel, it was acutally visibly off.
I got some Rings from Midway, re-didit, and man! Does she shoot!
Problem solved.
Stuff like that can ruin your day.

Hardcast416taylor
05-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Firstly I will side with delta enterprises about using the ascope to cam the front mount around, excellent way to screw up a scope. Secondly are the 2 mounts level with each other? I knew a guy that had all sorts of trouble zeroing his newly mounted scope. He dis-mounted the scope and laid a 1" dowel in place and you could see the difference the rear mount was lower than the front. Shims cured the problem.Robert

Beekeeper
05-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Used a ring wrench to position the front ring.
Have the B-Square alignment bars and they are spot on.
Have checked the ring alignment with carbon paper and tissue paper.
Every thing says good alignment except the rotation test which is all over the place.
am really scratching my head on this one.

Jim

deltaenterprizes
05-18-2010, 05:40 PM
What brand of scope?

dk17hmr
05-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Tip for getting on paper.....I use a spent case with the primer punched in the chamber, pull the bolt, set up on a bench center an object in the primer hole than adjust the scope to the same spot. Works great with 30 calibers and larger, small stuff I just sight the barrel.