PDA

View Full Version : kingsley type

fryboy
05-17-2010, 01:31 PM
how to begin .... was shopping for some pewter ( need the tin lolz ) usual sources flea markets garage sales thrift stores etc and i came across an old old box of kingsley type , my first thought was " score " picked it up cheap enough ( so i thought ) brought it home and tried it on the lee indenter ...it indented to .040-.041, quick check says 31-33 BH ( now i'm thinkin thaz harder than monotype or is mono) so i get on the web ....seems like the company has been around forever including swallowing up some other companies ( " American typefounding agglomeration formed in 1892, eventually containing most of the American typefounding industry. ATF owns the rights to one of the world’s greatest libraries of original typefaces, largely directed and created by Morris Fuller Benton.

Foundries that were incorporated into ATF include: Barnhart Brothers & Spindler (1911); Binny & Ronaldson (1892); Boston Type Foundry (1892); Bruce Type Foundry (1901); Central Type Foundry (1893); Farmer, Little & Co. (1892); Inland Type Foundry (1912)." etc )
now the problem .... they also make zinc type erm how do i tell without the melt test ??? my knife cuts it but it's hard ..i'm suspecting the worse lolz ( tho i did find a 2# chunk of pewter for $2 - it dings at .051-.052 with the lee and has a trademark stamp and a 96 purity stamp )

cabezaverde
05-17-2010, 04:39 PM
You probably have foundry type - one of the harder lead alloys.

Should work fine as sweetner metal - but see for what it sells for on ebay first - might be able to sell it there and by yourself lots of tin.

220swiftfn
05-17-2010, 09:17 PM
If it was zinc, you wouldn't be able to cut it with a knife....

Dan