PDA

View Full Version : Real black powder

Fly
05-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Till I can get me some REAL black powder, what do you guy's recommend.Back
in the ole days when I shot bp alot I never did like Pyradex if that's how it's spelled.

But what is a good substitute till I can get the real stuff.Things have really
changed from the good ole days.

Thanks Fly

"PS" If there is anyone here that knows a dealer in OKC or Tulsa that sells
real bp please reply.:coffee:

Lead Fred
05-17-2010, 11:37 AM
I tried them all in my flinter (not in the pan) and they all sucked.

777 seems to suck less than Pyrodex GS, Id never use any of them again.

Very under powder in the 45-70 also.

Fly
05-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Lead Fred if I have to order bp, I know there is a transport fee other than shipping.Is it the same for say 1lb to
say 5lb ect.I guess my question is how much savings are saved by ordering more if there
is.

Just give me some kind of break down.
Thanks Fly

Lead pot
05-17-2010, 11:51 AM
In 3 or 4 days you could have powder at your door step after placing the order.

https://www.powderinc.com/cgi-bin/bpstore/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=enter&thispage=index.html&ORDER_ID=!ORDERID!

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3501

http://www.mainepowderhouse.com/catalog.php

montana_charlie
05-17-2010, 01:52 PM
I know there is a transport fee other than shipping.Is it the same for say 1lb to say 5lb ect.
The Hazmat fee is charged for the boxful of 'hazardous' material. I think it's $25 per package...added to the shipping charge.
You decide how many cans of powder they should put in the box.

CM

Muddy Creek Sam
05-17-2010, 01:54 PM
I and one other BP shooter in my area always split a 25# box of Goex from powder inc.

Sam :D

Fly
05-17-2010, 03:11 PM
So you guy's are saying the hazardous' material cost is the same for 1lb as it would be
for 25lb's?

Muddy Creek Sam
05-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Yep, you got it.

Sam :D

RMulhern
05-18-2010, 12:16 AM
If a man don't keep at least two cases of BP on hand.......well....maybe ya just oughta take up golf...or ping pong!!

rewepython
11-29-2010, 02:54 AM
yup....im down to 5 pounds of bp. the shop in town just brought in 20 pounds.....cant wait to see the look in their eyes when i buy it all!

rewepython
11-29-2010, 02:59 AM
FLY.......777 works good, and smokes pretty good too. it aint bp, but you can use the same loads without blowing yourself up.....never in the pan...i got 1 pound of 4f i save for that.....but trust me, the stuff shoots good, fouls a little less. and is just as fun to shoot as goex....just dont let your buddies see what you put in your flask...they will never know the difference!

cajun shooter
11-29-2010, 12:42 PM
When looking at Powder Inc. prices don't forget that it includes shipping and Haz mat fee's in it. You may buy the new Diamondback BP for 10.15 a pound. You do have to buy a full case though. I have used about 8 pounds of it so far and it works great for SASS shooting. The accuracy and clean up is just as good as any other. I don't know what your type of shooting is so I can't give you any more help with out knowing type of firearm and type of shooting such as SASS, hunting, BPCR or other that you are loading for. I also use Goex Cartridge for Long Range BP shooting. At Powder Inc you may buy any other powder in 5,10, 15 or 25 lb lots.If it is too much for you do as all of us do and find a buddy or two to throw in. As far as the posting by rewepython goes he is way off base and he shows that by what he said. None of the subs smell like nor shoot the same as real BP. They don't have the fire and sparks coming from the barrel. If anyone has shot real BP they will know if you are shooting "FAKES"

FrankG
11-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Powderinc.com is a great outfit ! Ive ordered several times from them and got my powder quick . Ive been using the Kik FFFG powder from them and it is good stuff ! Its a little hotter than Goex it seems from felt recoil . Accuracy is very good right along with the price .

Bullshop
11-29-2010, 01:21 PM
But they wont ship here, BWAAAAAA!!!!! :sad:

malpaismike
12-01-2010, 02:17 AM
Hello the camp! Lead Pot and Cajun Shooter done stole my thunder; PowderInc is the place to go. While their Goex price has gone up over the years, they have also carried a less-costly line, like KIK or Diamondback.
I learned of Diamondback maybe a year ago and bought a case--I think at $10/lb. I shot Winter Range without cleaning this year, Db in .44-40wcf and ROAs, KIK in sg. I used a brush on ROA cylinders and shotgun breech; didn't touch rifle.
When I got back to the ranch, rifle was clean in 2 wet and 2 dry patches. I cheat w/ ROAs: I have spare cyl for each. I put cyl in my ultrasonic cleaner, nipples up; 40-min cycle left them mahvelous. Not removing nipples, with reinstall and grease and whatever. is a real timesaver.
Further ROA comment: with 2f Diamondback, my cylinder flask performed flawlessly. 2f Goex was a dump and wait proposition. Can't imagine what 3f Db would do; I use 2f for everything. Worst part, I sold my Patterson flask cuz Goex wouldn't meter. Guess I'll have to buy another one.
I highly recommend Db powder. If you want a sub, try APP, American Pioneer Powder. Works well, smokes enuf and cleans with whatever liquid you have handy, hot or cold. For serious shooting and hunting, I recommend 777. I don't use myself. However, I was touted as the bp guru at Mesa, AZ Sportsman's Whse. What I didn't know, customers felt obligated to fill me in. Bottom line is 777 pellets are not only killer, but cleanup is better than others have suggested.
That's way more than I started to say. Shop PowderInc. You'll be glad. Split the cost with a pal or two. I probably shouldn't advertise that my magazine (ok, closet) has ~80# of charcoal-enhanced thunder medicine. I peddle a can or two, but this is the best way to keep up stock in AZ.
Lest I forget, do a web search for bp. I found a site in MA with bp for 7/lb, but they didn't ship. There's a place in LA that has a pickup price lightyears from etrade price. Hope I helped. See ya round the campfire. mm

bob208
12-01-2010, 07:09 AM
another thing when you order. order it balk it comes in a big plastic bag. no use paying for 25 cans. that is the way i buy it. 2 kegs at a time.

Don McDowell
12-01-2010, 10:31 AM
They don't ship the bulk bags, have to pick those up from the magazine...

cajun shooter
12-01-2010, 11:34 AM
I did a report on the Diamondback powder a few months back and had the same results as malpaismike. It is perfect for SASS shooting. The reason that Powder Inc went up on Goex is because of the new owners at Hodgdon Powder. They have made two price increases since they bought the company that equals 21% increase. They did not want Goex to be cheaper than the other powder they sell. I don't think it will end there as I don't feel that they have good intentions for buying Goex.

SmuvBoGa
12-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Hmmm, may the BP gods forgive me - is 777 available in loose form, not the factory formed pills ?

JohnMc

Old Coot
12-02-2010, 10:56 PM
You bet 777 is available in FFG and FFFG in one pound containers as loose ground powder. I use it in my Whitworth. Good stuff, but about 15% hotter than real Black. or Drop 777 charges 15% when loading.

argie1891
12-11-2010, 03:13 AM
there isnt anything like the smell of real black powder in the morning. i gota admit i would much rather shoot the real stuff than pyrodex 777 or whatever. 3 of us ordered a case this spring and my 1853 enfield has finally found a minnie it likes. for my money just order black powder and forget the fake stuff. joe gifford aka argie1891

gunplumber
12-14-2010, 01:52 PM
be careful with 777 it is noticeably hotter than the same charge of black. i tried 777, american pioneer and pyrodex when i ran out of goex, none shot as good as the goex did. all the stores around here quit carrying black claiming liability reasons so i ordered a case from powder inc, even after shipping and haz fee it was cheaper than anything in town

Baron von Trollwhack
12-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Why not seek out a BP culb or NMLRA rep in your area and fish around for a local that has an extra pound or two that might be available.?

BvT

Old Coot
12-16-2010, 01:20 AM
If you are going to use 777 remember to reduce the charges by 15% from the same granulation of real Black powder. At least that is what they recommend on the container. Ap[parently, 777is just thata much faster than black. Good Luck. \
By the way it works great in my Whitworth. I can only wish that it was a hair easier to ignite.
I use musket caps and I suspect that I have some fouling between the nipple and the chamber.

cajun shooter
12-16-2010, 02:15 PM
There is nothing that can or ever will be as good as shooting the real thing!!! 777 does not have the sound, smoke, fire or sparks of a good load of real BP period.