PDA

View Full Version : .17 Mach IV help

Geraldo
05-17-2010, 11:09 AM
I just traded into a .17 Mach IV Contender barrel, and while I've got dies for Mach IV and brass to form, I was wondering if anyone had tried .17 Fireball ammo or brass in a Mach IV chamber.

Any info or experience would be appreciated.

tommygun
07-24-2010, 12:16 AM
Are you interested in selling your dies or trading for a different set? I sent you a PM. Thanks!

JScott
07-24-2010, 07:02 PM
I shoot an Encore with an MGM 17MachIV barrel and use Fireball brass and RCBS dies. My chamber cast showed my chamber to be very similar to the factory Fireball dimensions with just a slightly bigger diameter at the shoulder. I backed my sizer die off so that it just sizes the neck. I ran into pressure problems early on with the Remington brass as it had thick necks. My throat is .200 so I turned necks to where the loaded round ended up at .198 and pressure signs went away. A very fun caliber. I shoot mostly 20gr Vmaxes and have tried H322, Benchmark and Reloder 7 all with success.

tommygun
07-24-2010, 11:16 PM
I just purchased a contender with a bullberry barrell I think it is 21" cambered in 17 Mach IV. I am having trouble finding dies to form the brass. From the research I have done most people use the 221 fireball and neck it down for the 17m4. It also appears the 17FB could also be used except it is a bit shorter case length, but is it possible to us 17FB and essentially put it in the chamber and have it fireform to the 17 Mach IV? Any idea where I can find dies for the 17 Mach IV?

Rockydog
07-25-2010, 08:59 AM
THese guys can help you with any Mach IV questions you may have. Including die sources, loads, etc. RD

http://www.saubier.com/forum.html