PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever clean a new aluminum mold with steam?

Muddy Creek Sam
05-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Howdy all,

Got a new big lube mold and was thinking of washing with dawn and then steam cleaning with a small steam cleaner. Anyone tried it?

Sam :D

deerslayer
05-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Steam is the ticket on gun barrels specificaly that muzzleloader or really fouled gun your buddy or brother in law has and wants you to clean. never tried on a mold though

Muddy Creek Sam
05-17-2010, 10:29 AM
That is what gave me the idea, I use the steam shark on all my BP guns. Make clean up a breeze.

Sam :D

docone31
05-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Set it in some mineral spirits over night.
Take it out, and cast away.
Does the same thing as steam on a new mold.
I have tried with my Steam Dragon. Mineral spirits works better.

chris in va
05-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Haven't had a problem with Dawn and scrubbing it thoroughly.

bigboredad
05-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Just yesterday I received a new rcbs mold and was in a hurry to try it so i just disassembled it and hosed it down with brake cleaner. put it back together put it on a hot plate and started casting. It only took two cycles and then the boolits were coming out perfectly. But I would give it a try If I were you nothing wrong with trying out a new Idea

MtGun44
05-18-2010, 11:58 PM
I scrub Lee molds with Comet and an old toothbrush. Cleans up some of the burrs and
seems to eliminate whatever contamination others complain about.

Bill

DLCTEX
05-19-2010, 07:08 AM
Some Lee moulds clean up easily and then I'll get one that I boil, scrub, cast, and cuss, then finally dunk in the melt until it is way too hot, takes 15 seconds for sprue to harden. Then it starts working. I think sometimes the oils are absorbed into the metal and have to be cooked until they vaporize or oxidize.

docone31
05-19-2010, 08:53 AM
With my Lee molds,
Once I started useing mineral spirits, I had no further issues with lube making ripples.
I put them in a cup for a couple of days, let them dry, and cast away.
Works for me.