PDA

View Full Version : 454 case stretching??

Jumbopanda
05-17-2010, 05:00 AM
I've put just under 1000 rounds through my 454 Super Redhawk using the same 200 pieces of brass that I've been reloading over and over. I recently got a .454 Puma 92 and today, after shooting it I realized that a lot of my cases had been greatly stretched! Before I never had to trim my cases and they were actually SHORTER than the trim length listed by Freedom Arms (1.380"). But today after firing, the brass that held the full power loads took a bit more effort to resize than usual, and afterwards, they measured about 1.40"! I noticed this when I loaded a handful of rounds and found that some of them weren't crimping the same. The Puma most likely has a looser chamber than the Super Redhawk, but should it make this big a difference? I feel like this gun is going to be pretty rough on my brass, at least compared to the Super Redhawk. :-?

yarro
05-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Whenever you size a cases, brass flows forward. The more you have to squeeze the brass down during sizing, the more the case lengthens and thins. It also work hardens the brass more and makes it more likely to split so I will decrease case life.

The other possibility is that due to variations in bore, throat, and chamber pressure is higher in the Puma. Pressure drops off much faster in the SR than in the Puma due to cylinder gap, long lead before engaging rifling, and shorter barrel. Try backing off the load slightly and see if the cases still are hard to size.

-yarro

Lloyd Smale
05-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Most lever actions have some flex in the action and are hard on brass because of it. About the only way to avoid it is to back your loads off.

missionary5155
05-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Greetings
I have two 44-40 SRC Winny´s and both have fat chambers. I ONLY neck size them and that helps alot with the case stretching.
My 41 mag Marlin also has a FAT chamber.. I neck size only.
Most my 38-55´s have fat chambers .. again I neck size only.
I also segregate brass to those rifles. At least 50 per barrel. I get good brass life and I have no need to full length size.
I also do the same with my revolvers. I may have alot more brass but it lasts a long time. I just keep it all in marked Ziplock bags and never mix it once it is dedicated to a firearm.

Jumbopanda
05-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Greetings
I have two 44-40 SRC Winny´s and both have fat chambers. I ONLY neck size them and that helps alot with the case stretching.
My 41 mag Marlin also has a FAT chamber.. I neck size only.
Most my 38-55´s have fat chambers .. again I neck size only.
I also segregate brass to those rifles. At least 50 per barrel. I get good brass life and I have no need to full length size.
I also do the same with my revolvers. I may have alot more brass but it lasts a long time. I just keep it all in marked Ziplock bags and never mix it once it is dedicated to a firearm.

Do they still feed all right with only neck sizing?

missionary5155
05-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Greetings
YES both my 44-40 SRC´s feed fine with just neck sizing. I do not interchange brass between them and I do not Hot Rod them. 8 grainsUnique is my basic everyday load. I keep 10 rounds loaded with 9 grains for emergency use.
BP is even gentler on brass.

Jumbopanda
05-23-2010, 03:42 AM
Greetings
YES both my 44-40 SRC´s feed fine with just neck sizing. I do not interchange brass between them and I do not Hot Rod them. 8 grainsUnique is my basic everyday load. I keep 10 rounds loaded with 9 grains for emergency use.
BP is even gentler on brass.

Well...for me we're talking about a .454 Casull loaded at about 55,000 psi. So it is a little rougher than 44-40. :lol:

missionary5155
05-23-2010, 09:33 AM
They all feed well to include my 41 Mag... my 45 Colt... my 38-55s... my 375 Win.... my 45-70´s
As long as the brass ejects without being tight it seems to rechamber just the same with NECK SIZING.
As I stated I NECK size All my brass... revolvers and leverguns and Bolt guns. I have not had a chance to hold my BFR 454 yet but when I start shooting it I will neck size only until brass refuses to rechamber.