PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92 .454 stock cracking

Jumbopanda
05-17-2010, 01:06 AM
I shot a total of 179 rounds out of my new Rossi 92 .454 today, about 70 or 80 of which were full powered loads, and noticed that the stock is starting to split. Should I just ask the factory for a replacement or look for one made of a stronger material like laminated wood or perhaps polymer if any exist?

knifemaker
05-17-2010, 01:52 AM
Jumbopanda;
Is the crack just behind the upper tang. If it is, probable cause is a poor fit of wood to metal. Pull the stock and see if there is protuding metal at the tang, may be out of sight below the wood line. This can act as a wedge splitting the stock on recoil. file or round it off.
If not that, you have a contact fit of metal at the rear of the tang that allows the tang itself to be the wedge that causes the split. You can stop this by relieving the wood a few thousands behind the rounded portion of the tang and glass bedding the stock for proper full contact between the wood and metal except for that part directly behind the tang where a small gap should be.
If you do not know how to glass bed, have a gunsmith do it for you and he can also fix the crack with dyed Acra-Glass bedding and if done right, you will have a very hard time seeing the crack.

Southern Son
05-17-2010, 03:49 AM
Jumbopanda, where is the split and have you used the rifle on a Lead Sled? I have heard many say that they promote stock spitting.

Jumbopanda
05-17-2010, 05:01 AM
The split is actually not at the tang, but the very front of the stock, near the receiver. I've only fired it from the shoulder.

knifemaker
05-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Sounds like you have a poor inletting fit of wood to metal where the recoil is being absorbed by a small portion of the wood stock. A proper glass bedding should cure that problem. A common problem with lever actions that have thin wood side panels absorbing the force of recoil due to improper inletting fit.

yarro
05-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Before you do anything, contact Rossi and see what they say.

-yarro

Lloyd Smale
05-21-2010, 08:18 AM
buddy had two of them split one on a 454 and the other on a 480. rossi will send you a new stock but be prepared for a long wait.