PDA

View Full Version : Bullplate???

prickett
05-16-2010, 10:15 PM
All,
I'm considering buying Bullplate based on all the rave reviews it gets on this site. I do wonder, though, what is so special about it. Currently, I'm using high temp grease. What does Bullplate give me that the high temp grease doesn't?

TIA

mtgrs737
05-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Maybe nothing, get some and see, then let us know.

Buckshot
05-17-2010, 12:21 AM
All,
I'm considering buying Bullplate based on all the rave reviews it gets on this site. I do wonder, though, what is so special about it. Currently, I'm using high temp grease. What does Bullplate give me that the high temp grease doesn't?

TIA

.............You can't use high temp grease on the underside of the SP or on top of the blocks. It helps to defeat lead smears on either.

...........Buckshot

Springfield
05-17-2010, 12:31 AM
All the greases, anti-seize compound and bullet lubes I have tried have eventually left a build-up that caused problems and I had to cleanoff. In over 3 years of casting Bullshop has worked much better. Even if I manage to get a bit in the cavity of a mould it doesn't ruin the bullet, or if I get more than a little it doesn't ruin more than 2 casts. It is much easier to apply on the run while you are casting. It lasts almost forever as you use it so sparingly. It is cheap. I just haven't found any downside to using it. I have thousands of bullets cast through both of my "cheapo" LEE 6 cavity 44-40 moulds and I don't believe either would be in such good shape without the use of Bullshop sprue lube. Buy 2 bottles of it and use it, you won't be sorry.

shotman
05-17-2010, 12:35 AM
how do you get Hi temp under the hinge screw? you have to take it loose. Hi temp grease is only good for a short time at 700*. Bullplate is thin and will work for while at 700 dont get in cav Kroil for that

prickett
05-17-2010, 06:59 PM
.............You can't use high temp grease on the underside of the SP or on top of the blocks. It helps to defeat lead smears on either.

...........Buckshot

Where all do you put Bullplate? Sounds like it is for more than just the pins and screws.

mtgrs737
05-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Scroll to the bottom of this page and click on the "The Bullshop" link. While your ordering try some of the Speed Green bullet lube it is made with "Bullplate" and it works well. Good people to work with!

hammerhead357
05-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Plus 1 on the good people to work with. A fine bunch and fine products too......Wes

Buckshot
05-18-2010, 02:04 AM
Where all do you put Bullplate? Sounds like it is for more than just the pins and screws.

...........Yes it is. Dip just the extreme tippy tip (:-)) of a cotton swab in the stuff, then upend it and let it migrate down through the fibers (lay it aside while doing some other stuff). Now later once the mould is up to temp take that swab. The end you touched to the Bullplate lube should be the very lightest, faintest suggestion of being offwhite.

Wipe the swab on top of the blocks laying down a couple 'tracks'. To even see'em you have to tilt the blocks toward a light to see the faint sheen. Do the underside and top of the sprueplate. Now take the same swab and dip it (barely) in the Bullplate again. Touch it to the side of the head of the SP pivit bolt, to the seam of the SP and blocks (to get a bit at the pivit wear area), and to each of the alignment pin heads. You'll now be ready for considerable casting before needing to repeat.

..............Buckshot

dromia
05-18-2010, 02:40 AM
Remember with Bullplate lube "less is more". :grin:

Jack Stanley
05-18-2010, 08:23 AM
I read the instructions that came with mine and used the Q-tip and got way more than I needed on the mold . What I do now is use the end of a kitchen match .... not the end that has the sulphur though . I put one drop on it and transfered what would to the plate near the pin then just a little on the bottom of the plate . Every so often do it again and it seems to work OK for me .

Jack

Rocky Raab
05-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Ordered some a few days ago. Thanks for the application instructions above.

prickett
05-18-2010, 09:20 PM
...........Yes it is. Dip just the extreme tippy tip (:-)) of a cotton swab in the stuff, then upend it and let it migrate down through the fibers (lay it aside while doing some other stuff). Now later once the mould is up to temp take that swab. The end you touched to the Bullplate lube should be the very lightest, faintest suggestion of being offwhite.

Wipe the swab on top of the blocks laying down a couple 'tracks'. To even see'em you have to tilt the blocks toward a light to see the faint sheen. Do the underside and top of the sprueplate. Now take the same swab and dip it (barely) in the Bullplate again. Touch it to the side of the head of the SP pivit bolt, to the seam of the SP and blocks (to get a bit at the pivit wear area), and to each of the alignment pin heads. You'll now be ready for considerable casting before needing to repeat.

..............Buckshot

Thanks! Just what I was looking/hoping for. I'll give it a shot and hopefully will soon be here expressing my extreme pleasure with Bullplate.