PDA

View Full Version : Brand new Rossi 92 - bolt face marks primer...

Voodods
05-16-2010, 03:45 PM
I have an issue similar to the pics in this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3795673

But not as pronounced. Namely, the bent scratch and wide scuff on nearly every primer of the 100 rounds I fired this weekend.

Is this a known issue, or should I send it to Rossi?? This gun is insanely accurate so I am loathe to ask for another gun, but I defer to wiser men than I.

What say you?

220swiftfn
05-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Is yours a 44 mag??? that looks like the ejector cut to me (primer flow) IMHO, as long as you're not showing other signs of high pressure with factory rounds, if the accuracy is good, I'd keep it.....

Dan

Calamity Jake
05-17-2010, 09:38 AM
IT's rough machine marks on the bolt face. You can live with it or send it to Steves Gunz to see if he can fix it.
You can load lighter loads to reduce the pressure.

timkelley
05-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Ejector cut, normal.

looseprojectile
05-17-2010, 03:05 PM
IMHO all the 92s, Winchester included do this. Even the low pressure loads like in 44 40 do the same. Your question is well taken. Not to worry.
If the looks of the primer bother you try some rifle primers.
If the primer does not leak or rupture it has done it's job.
I always use a new primer when I reload ammo. Problem solved.

Life is good

looseprojectile
05-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Welcome to Cast Boolits!!
If you really like your 92 check out what Paco Kelly has done with them.
Go here.
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/357_magnum_and_the_literature.htm

This is .357 info though you get the idea that 92s are very strong actions. Max loads in the .44 magnum are quite intense and full of recoil joy. I shoot a beautiful Rossi 92 rifle in .44 magnum and an equally wonderful Rossi 92 carbine in .357 magnum.

Life is good

Phat Man Mike
05-17-2010, 05:04 PM
got a 92 in 45 long colt and haven't seen any mark's like that on my brass! will keep a eye open though:mrgreen:

txhunter77
05-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Well the problem with the marks on the primer is the fact that the ejector is machined into the bolt face almost half way across the case head. The ejector is supported by a spring which needless to say is far more flexible than a solid piece of steel. When firing the pressure exerted on the primer overcomes the force of the ejector and causes it to extrude back into the ejector, which for these purposes is unsupported. Simply put, the ejector spring compresses and allows the primer to flow back slightly.

All that sound really bad, but in actuality it's really only a problem if your concerned about the look of your fired brass.

Both my 45LC and my dads 44mag experience the same thing, and we've put those rifles through the ringer a few times. Working up some very hot hand loads just to see what you can get out of a 45 and 44 rifles. Not once did we have any problem with primer piercing.

Old Goat Keeper
05-18-2010, 01:29 AM
I have a Rossi 92 in 454 Casull and haven't noticed anything like that with my primers. And the Casull runs at significantly higher pressure.

Tom

excavman
05-18-2010, 11:00 AM
I really like my Puma/Rossi 92, the workmanship is very nice. The only squawk I have is the cheap grade of wood they use.

Larry

Hanzerik
05-18-2010, 07:25 PM
I have two Pumas in .44Mag that show similar marks as those, but not as bad. I have only shot Winchester White Box, and my reloads. My reloads have only been reloaded using Winchester primers. Light target loads barely have a mark after being fired, but my heavy loads and factory loads to show more pronounce line.

Never had any issues with blown primers, and the case bulges come out when re-sized. I may change out the heavy factory ejector and extractor springs though, because it causes dings on the case mouths and rims. Most of my cases (C.B.C and Winchester) have been loaded about 8 times so far, so that is right around 2400 rounds through my rifles without any issues.

txhunter77
05-19-2010, 03:18 AM
I have a Rossi 92 in 454 Casull and haven't noticed anything like that with my primers. And the Casull runs at significantly higher pressure.

Tom

Most 454 Casull cases use small pistol primers too! They sit inside the effected area, so you shouldn't see any marks on them for they are fully supported by the bolt face. Know this because I took 40pc of 454 brass and cut them down to 45 colt length and never once did a primer come out looking anything like the 45's large pistol primer.

Ed Barrett
05-27-2010, 02:30 AM
I have a Rossi 92 in 454 Casull and one in .357 Mag, have not had a problem like that with either of them.

Four Fingers of Death
05-27-2010, 06:19 AM
The rifle I am using in my avitar is a 92 Rossi in 357. It is probably the cheapest rifle I have ever bought ($AU230). It is shaping up to be the best as well. I have fired thousands of rounds through it and apart from me failing to keep the screws done up it hasn't missed a beat or failed to feed a round.

I must have a look at the brass next time. (I might even give it a clean one day :) I do keep the oil up to it though )

Thanks for the link to Paco's article. His Leverguns site was a daily visit for me, but they had so much trouble I sorta went different ways.