PDA

View Full Version : 225646

hansumtoad
05-16-2010, 03:20 PM
rying this more as a test than anything. Do these look OK to you, the members of this forum, who demand the best of yourselves?

I'm really trying to get this right.

Now if I can figure out how to uplad a pic.....

Mk42gunner
05-16-2010, 05:03 PM
It's kind of hard to tell from the picture, are the bands all filled out? They look a little rounded to me. Also that looks like a lot of lube on that boolit.

Robert

Marlin Junky
05-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Not enough heat and it looks like you've got some mold contamination. Time to break out the solvents and carb/brake cleaner.

MJ

GabbyM
05-16-2010, 07:34 PM
I have that mould. All those little bands aren't easy to get filled out. I use an alloy made with one eight lb ingot of 2/6 alloy with one lb of Linotype. When casting I use a Lyman ladle and pressure pour holding the ladle against the sprue plate. Once everything gets working the mould makes very pretty bullets. Alloy is expensive but the bullets are small. Ten pounds of alloy will make 1,166 boolits of 60 grains. It takes a long time to get a 22 mould heated up by just casting bullets. I set it on end atop my casting pot. Don't recall how hot I ran the alloy but if it gets to hot you get shrinkage and loose the sharp edges.

Marlin Junky
05-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Buy a hot plate at Wally-World for mold pre-heating and a real ladle and learn how to use it:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,1422.html

MJ