PDA

View Full Version : Cast bullets in the freezer.

FredT
05-16-2010, 01:09 AM
After I am done casting a bunch of bullets, 3-4 hundred, I like to put them in a bowl and put them in the freezer for a few hours. Will this change their temper making them harder or just make them cold?

parrott1969
05-16-2010, 01:17 AM
It stop/slows the hardening process and allows you to size them at a later date without "working" the lead.

lwknight
05-16-2010, 02:16 AM
Why do you like to make them cold?

PAT303
05-16-2010, 04:28 AM
They stay fresher for longer. Pat

sagacious
05-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Why do you like to make them cold?

Was thinking exactly the same thing.

FredT
05-16-2010, 08:14 AM
It was just a way to cool them down quickly so that I could deal with them. Thought maybe it would have some properties of water quenching.

Ed Gallop
05-16-2010, 08:31 AM
When I first started casting I used to drop them in water. Not only does it cool them really fast, but I understand it will cause them to harden more than air cooling. I think it takes a few days to maximum hardness but I don't know. I do know that my water dropped black powder balls were harder to get started so I stopped dropping. Dropping would be faster and easier than freezing. I doubt the cooling process in a freezer would be quick enough to harden lead. I assume the water drop process is like hardening of tempering steel. I'm no expert and would like to hear from someone that is.

44man
05-16-2010, 08:37 AM
When I first started casting I used to drop them in water. Not only does it cool them really fast, but I understand it will cause them to harden more than air cooling. I think it takes a few days to maximum hardness but I don't know. I do know that my water dropped black powder balls were harder to get started so I stopped dropping. Dropping would be faster and easier than freezing. I doubt the cooling process in a freezer would be quick enough to harden lead. I assume the water drop process is like hardening of tempering steel. I'm no expert and would like to hear from someone that is.
I think after thawing they can be prepared with some bacon grease! :bigsmyl2:
But what are you using hard lead for in the muzzle loader???? Pure lead is always best and will not harden in water.

XWrench3
05-16-2010, 09:53 AM
make sure you dont leave them in there to long, or they will get freezer burnt!:kidding: seriously though, i dont think it will do anything to them other than get them cold. now, if you were dropping them into liquid nitrogen, or something similar, you might be crogenicly treating them. i would think that would do something. but what, i am not sure.

Ed Gallop
05-17-2010, 01:29 PM
I think after thawing they can be prepared with some bacon grease! :bigsmyl2:
But what are you using hard lead for in the muzzle loader???? Pure lead is always best and will not harden in water.

I cast pure lead for black powder but was told the free wheel weights would work fine. They were a bit more difficult to get started but after trying water dropping they were much harder to use. I know lead is much better but gave the weights a try. Didn't take long to go back to soft lead.

AZ-Stew
05-17-2010, 02:17 PM
I cast pure lead for black powder but was told the free wheel weights would work fine. They were a bit more difficult to get started but after trying water dropping they were much harder to use. I know lead is much better but gave the weights a try. Didn't take long to go back to soft lead.

Don't use the WW balls for cap and ball revolvers. That's a good way to break a loading lever. Not that I'd know anything about that from first hand experience or anything...[smilie=1:

Regards,

Stew

prs
05-17-2010, 02:56 PM
After casting 300 to 400 boolits, the group is going to have a temperature variation from recent cast ones to first cast ones that is way too wide. Consistency is the key to success with boolits. If you want WW alloy to be hard, consistently hard, heat up the whole batch to just below slump quench them all at once in a large bath of cold water.

As the other poster learned, WW is not gonna be fun to seat with a ram rod. Round ball cast of WW and heat treated to be soft (heated to near slump and then heat reduced very slowly over a long time, can be used in cap 'n ball, but still not as soft as good "pure" lead and then the heat treated ones do age and harden up a bit over time. Jest not worth the fuss.

prs

MtGun44
05-17-2010, 10:01 PM
The heat treatment in lead is precipitation hardening and aging and you slow/stop the process by
cooling the boolits. So if you heat treat boolits and then quickly freeze them you can size them
easily at some future date and then let them age harden later.

This is akin to aluminum hardening but totally different than steel hardening.