PDA

View Full Version : Spray Case Lube

gwilliams2
05-15-2010, 10:05 PM
I discovered spray case lube this week... I mean, I've known about it for some time but I finally got around pickin up a can of One Shot and trying it out... Don't know what took me so long and I don't know how ever I lived without it... This stuff is great!

82nd airborne
05-15-2010, 11:02 PM
rcbs case slick............absolutely wonderful, and cheap.

mooman76
05-15-2010, 11:16 PM
I discovered spray case lube this week... I mean, I've known about it for some time but I finally got around pickin up a can of One Shot and trying it out... Don't know what took me so long and I don't know how ever I lived without it... This stuff is great!

Great stuff til you get a case stuck. Then it's ****. Some people never have an issue with it and some do. It only took once for me, ok twice. Make sure you let it dry good. That I think is where I went and most wrong.

gwilliams2
05-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Great stuff til you get a case stuck. Then it's ****. Some people never have an issue with it and some do. It only took once for me, ok twice. Make sure you let it dry good. That I think is where I went and most wrong.

So, are you saying that you stopped using it? The instructions say that it is "ready to use" in a minute or less, but I've been letting mine set for at least an hour (sometimes overnight) before they hit the press...

cajun shooter
05-16-2010, 09:20 AM
The Dillon works well for me also. Just spread out on old newspaper and spray away. I allow them to dry and use the next day. I have used them with in 15 minutes with no ill effect.

SharpsShooter
05-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Hornady One Shot. Spray, set down can, size.. Nothing to it at all. FWIW I also shoot the inside of the die prior to threading it into the press.

SS

XWrench3
05-16-2010, 09:31 AM
i have a can of it, i think it is my third. it is good stuff. if you run into a case (and you will) that has more friction that most, STOP! and re-lube it. if you force it, you may end up with a stuck case. for economy, i just started using the lee case sizing lube (squeeze tube) and i mix it with alcohol, put it in a pump bottle. the lee lube is the best stuff i have ever used, short of stp, and i do not have to wash the cases off in solvent afterwards. but right out of the tube, it is kind of a p.i.t.a. to use. in my opinion, the spray or pump lube is the way to go.

Shiloh
05-16-2010, 09:39 AM
RCBS Case Slick, Franklin Arsenal Case Lube, or the homemade equivalent of lanolin and high percentage isopropyl alcohol.

I currently have Frankford Lube in an RCBS bottle. RCBS bottles have a fine mist FA bottles sort of hack up droplets of the stuff.

Shiloh

Alan in WI
05-16-2010, 10:31 AM
XWrench3,
How much alcohol per tube do you use when mixing the Lee Lube?

Thanks,
Alan

RKJ
05-16-2010, 11:27 AM
I've used Dillon and Hornady with good success and I've also used Pam cooking spray or the cheap equivalent with good results. I've gotten cases stuck before but that was due to my impatience and lack of consistent lubing.

yancey
05-16-2010, 11:40 AM
I also just started using the one shot. I have had no problems. works good for me.

Rockydog
05-16-2010, 11:44 AM
I used the One Shot aerosal can for years and had good luck with it until I started sizing wildcat brass. Let's just say it's not the best application for the product. I tried one bottle of the One Shot pump spray too. If you never experienced stuck cases and really feel that doing so would round out your reloading experience I'd recommend that you order a bottle and an RCBS stuck case remover kit. It'll save you postage if you order both at once. My choice in case lubes? Bullshop, the only way to go. I always inspect each of my cases before I load anyway, now I just do each one as I reload, applying the lube as I go. No extra time involved. Not one case with even any drag on it as they come out. RD

mtgrs737
05-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Save the bottle and mix a tablespoon of Lanolin with some alcohol from Wally World, try the higher percentage alcohol at 91% they sell, it will evaporate quicker.

putteral
05-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Another Thumbs Up for One Shot! Also use it for sizing!

mooman76
05-16-2010, 12:44 PM
So, are you saying that you stopped using it? The instructions say that it is "ready to use" in a minute or less, but I've been letting mine set for at least an hour (sometimes overnight) before they hit the press...

I haven't quit using it all together but I don't use it on cases I know are harder to size. I also don't use it in the winter as my garage is unheated and probubly why I stuck a case due to taking longer to dry. I don't really need case lube that often because I mostly do pistol brass so it is not that much for me to hand lube. I did get the case out but damaged the die parts doing so even with a stuck case remover tool.

DLCTEX
05-16-2010, 02:49 PM
+1 on the alcohol and lanolin in a spray pump. I ran out of lanolin and used Bullplate lube applied with my fingers as thin as possible, it is excellent case lube. I will have to experiment with diluting it for a spray.

jonk
05-17-2010, 09:13 AM
I'm with the gent who said "Lee lube plus alcohol." Dillute it with up to 10 parts of alcohol- so for a 2 oz tube, up to 20 oz of alcohol. I said UP to. I usually do about 5:1 and find it is enough to pump.

Lee lube truly dries. No more sticky oil based lubes to have to remove, and then pick bits of tumbling media out of flash holes. After sizing, I let they dry thoroughly (well ok I let them dry BEFORE sizing but let them dry more just in case), then load.

A quick rub down with a slightly damp rag or 10 minutes in the tumbler once loaded (If you are comfortable with that) and they're done.

Oh and while I've stuck cases with the One shot and dillon and RCBS lubes- at least 1 with each- never once with Lee.

Now that said- for a real tough reforming job, I'd probably go with a lanolin based still.

Lloyd Smale
05-17-2010, 12:18 PM
I use one shot when im lazy but it usually comes back to bite me when a case sticks. Lanolin is my prefered lube. I use it in a spray bottle with alcohol and just by putting a little dab on my fingers and rubbing the case with it. I havent found anything that works any better. Imperial and lee are both good but id bet thats because there lanolin.

357maximum
05-17-2010, 01:20 PM
I use 3 to 1 anhydrous lanolin/beeswax mix hand applied for wildcat crunching operations and a mix of 10 parts 91% isopropl to 1 part LIQUID LANOLIN for general full length resisizing. The solid 3/1 lanolin/bwax is kept in an ol Raleighs salve tin and the liquid lanolin/alch mix is is an old spray bottle. I use the liquid in a 1gallon zipper bag and do 100+ cases at a time via the SHAKE-N-BAKE method.

I have only ever stuck one case and I simply spun the die 90 degrees in the the co-ax press get another bite to remove my oopsie of too little lube. Make sure you shake the spray bottle vigorously before using as the liquid lanolin will settle out over time but is easily re-mixed with some shaking.

Ed Gallop
05-17-2010, 01:50 PM
I've been wondering about One Shot, and other sprays, but never tried it. Now I will. Would save time over finger application and be less messy. Wonder how easy it is to use too much causing build up in dies or wrinkled shoulders. What I'd like to see is carbide rifle dies.

Lloyd Smale
05-17-2010, 06:36 PM
its more conveient and less messy but i dont think you save much time. I can even load progressively picking up cases with lube on my fingers and go just about as fast as i can if there spray lubed. the first stuck case will more them make up for the time you saved spraying them

fishhawk
05-17-2010, 06:39 PM
well ed even with carbide rifle dies you would still need to lube the cases. steve k

wistlepig1
05-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Save the bottle and mix a tablespoon of Lanolin with some alcohol from Wally World, try the higher percentage alcohol at 91% they sell, it will evaporate quicker.

I use this to and with zero problems, I use the 99% alcohol when I find it (Safeway). I put 2-3 oz of lanolin oil to 1 Qt alcohol, spray, let it dry and I will say it again "let it dry" and no prblemo. If you are in a hurry then don't use or as someone has suggested in one of the other post, buy the RCBS stuck case kit--you will need IT.