PDA

View Full Version : Finally got around to doing some smelting!

mtgrs737
05-15-2010, 04:33 PM
The only part of this hobby that I dislike is the smelting and ingoting the scrap lead I am lucky enough to come up with. My turkey fryer was giving me trouble so the amount of lead (9 buckets) had built up on me. I took a couple of days after I fixed the burner to catch up with the smelting chores and free up some buckets for ther next lead run. The smaller pile is soft lead from two buckets of stick on weights. Hot nasty and dirty work but someone has to do it!

lead4me
05-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Looking good!! Ya the melting & cleaning process kinda bites, but the boolit pouring & shooting evens it out. I'd hate to be the guy that had to pick up an stack those piles. Looks like about 1000lbs of nice clean alloy their.

gray wolf
05-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Yummy---Yummy
Better than a pee-nut butter and jelly samich

Hickory
05-15-2010, 07:51 PM
MAN! When you make up your mind to do something, you really take hold!

:drinks:

Lavid2002
05-15-2010, 07:55 PM
gimme some?

: D Good job

mtgrs737
05-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Looking good!! Ya the melting & cleaning process kinda bites, but the boolit pouring & shooting evens it out. I'd hate to be the guy that had to pick up an stack those piles. Looks like about 1000lbs of nice clean alloy their.

I just got done stacking the two larger piles on the smaller of the two pallets in my avitar, counted 1021 ingots (I could hardly pull the pallet jack it was so heavy). I still have to find a place for the third smaller pile which is soft tape-on weight lead, I'm guessing there is 200 or so ingots in that pile. Good to be done as that is the part of this hobby I really don't care for.

Bill*
05-15-2010, 11:48 PM
HEY....I just noticed something - my house is leaning!.............towards Kansas :mrgreen:

WHITETAIL
05-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Nice hall.
And yes when you make a pile of boolets it gets even better.[smilie=s:

mtgrs737
05-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Nothing like a nice pile of freshly cast boolits to make you smile and give you a feeling of acomplishment! Saves a bunch of money for a tightwad like me too!

imashooter2
05-16-2010, 01:42 PM
That's a mighty fine pile! The work isn't my favorite, but the product will sure put a smile on your face!

mtgrs737
05-16-2010, 02:38 PM
+1 imashooter2 nothing like lots of potential fun! I just got in from counting and putting away the soft lead, got 231 of them. That should hold me for a while. My wife asked me what they were, (like she didn't already know) I replied, "Silver Gold!"

Getting more and more non-lead weights in evey bucket these days, best to stock up now while the getting it good! IMHO

imashooter2
05-16-2010, 03:29 PM
My WW sources dried up a long time ago and I've been living off indoor range scrap. However my lovely wife managed to scrounge some for me in January. The first WW I've gotten from a garage in more than 5 years. 13 pounds of junk weights in a 62 pound bucket. Mostly steel, but a few zinc as well. If I figure another 10% loss to dirt and clips that will be 1/3 of the take as trash.

We are definitely on the back edge of the bell curve.:(

mtgrs737
05-17-2010, 09:25 AM
We casters had better work even harder to lay in a stock of cheap scrap lead before it is all gone or hard enough to find that it is as good as gone. Buying virgin alloy will make our hobby much more expensive and remove one of the reasons I like to cast in the first place, "cheap boolits that shoot better than factory mades"!

Doby45
05-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't say that too loud, Obama is listening and you might give him an idea.

FISH4BUGS
05-17-2010, 06:44 PM
I took an afternoon and did 2 buckets of sorted WW's. Took the better part of 5 hours and two beers, but I got a lot of ingots out of it.
You know, that work really DOES suck. But it does have to be done. The ONLY benefit is having all those 5 gallon buckets just full of ingots to stare at. Same kind of feeling when you get your wood stacked for the winter.

mtgrs737
05-18-2010, 02:01 PM
We casters had better work even harder to lay in a stock of cheap scrap lead before it is all gone or hard enough to find that it is as good as gone. Buying virgin alloy will make our hobby much more expensive and remove one of the reasons I like to cast in the first place, "cheap boolits that shoot better than factory mades"!

Your right Doby45! What was I thinking!!! :bigsmyl2:

Edited out ASAP!!!!