PDA

View Full Version : Adding setscrews to Lee lock rings

cheese1566
05-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Trying not to knock Lee dies or want this thread to wander that direction...

Has anyone modified their Lee O-ring lock rings by adding a 10-32 setscrew?

Wondering if inner the O-ring channel will hinder. This would be done with a hand drill and hand tap.

Like to hear from those who have failed or succeeded.

05-15-2010, 02:28 PM
cheese,
Hmmm...interesting...discard the O-ring and drill and tap.

dragonrider
05-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Maybe could be done. there ain't a lot of material there. I would use and 8-36 or 8-40 before using a 10-32. and set it up to drill through the center of the threaded section so that the drill does not break through into the o'ring area.

Tom-ADC
05-15-2010, 05:20 PM
I tossed mine and use Dillon lock nuts. Like the Lee dies but prefer Dillon lock nuts.

docone31
05-15-2010, 06:06 PM
That is the only thing missing. Perhaps Pat is listening.
I would go with 8/32, or 6/32.
You only need to adjust them once or so.

DLCTEX
05-15-2010, 07:21 PM
I don't have a problem with the Lee rings as I leave the dies attached to either a turret plate or to Hornady twist lock bushings, but I think it is easily doable. Even if you break through into the o-ring area, a longer screw will lock the ring. I would prefer to center the threaded portion so that a small piece of brass can be placed under the screw to protect the threads.

Doc Highwall
05-15-2010, 07:46 PM
I have been using a LEE lock rings with a regular lock ring on top and jam the two nuts together and keeps the die adjustment locked with the die able to float some for rounds with less run out.

hiram
05-15-2010, 08:00 PM
I did it to one lockreing. I used a short set screw---don't remember how short. If the lockring is on a die in lee's 4 hole turret, as you turn the die, the setscrew will hit the ring next to it.

ReloaderFred
05-15-2010, 08:42 PM
I replace them with either RCBS or Hornady lockrings. I have a whole drawer full of discarded lock rings...........

Hope this helps.

Fred

cheese1566
05-15-2010, 09:23 PM
I was thinking 10-32 to stay the same as the RCBS style since I have some brass setscrews on hand.

I can see though where a smaller one would be easier. I just have bad luck with the #6's I used on my Lee-menting (which may be upped to a 8-32 someday.)

They are fine on some days, but I just don't like the idea of the O-ring being a cushion when it comes to bullet seating. I like some things to be solid.

cajun shooter
05-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Lee Dies are fine but the lock ring sucks. I replace all mine with Dillon nuts so if you mess up some let me know for free replacement. Later David

RayinNH
05-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Cheese, I did what you are proposing to do. I used a 10-24 brass set screw thinking that the 10-32 would be too fine for the soft aluminum rings. I don't know if that was needed or not. I also drilled through the corner, not the flat to basically double the amount of threads. I had the benefit of a drill press. Center punch the drilling spot so your bit doesn't wander. If you clamp the ring close to the edge of your workbench, you can eyeball the bit to insure it stays parallel to the bench surface.

My rings work well this way. I need to do about eight more die sets worth...Ray

jcwit
05-16-2010, 09:19 AM
I'd use a lead shot in the taped hole instead of the brass set screw, or if unavailable just a small drop of lead from casting.

The tip of the brass screw turning on the threads is just going to wear out the tip of the screw quickly, won't hurt the threads but the screw will wear. Whereas the lead pellet/shot will form into the thread as its tightened into the thread.

1hole
05-16-2010, 09:31 AM
"Like to hear from those who have failed or succeeded."

I haven't done it, don't feel any need to. But I have done a LOT of drilling/tapping on a lot of things. IF I were to do that, I'd use a 4-40 round head brass screw installed on a corner; it would be plenty big enough to do the job and preserve a lot more of the aluminum ring.

dudel
05-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Not much metal there, and it is aluminum. I'm wondering how it would hold up. I switched to the Dillon lock nuts because they gave me more room in the toolhead.

Shepherd2
05-16-2010, 04:51 PM
I've done a couple dozen Lee lock rings using 6/32 and 8/32. Haven't had any threads strip out. yet.

Elkins45
05-16-2010, 04:57 PM
I did it to a couple over 20 years ago and they are still together. I don't remember which size I used.

Phil A
05-18-2010, 01:03 AM
For locking dies to the Lee turrets, you can use the Lee rings upside down. Not a lot of room for regular lock rings on the 4 hole turrets. - Phil

zuke
05-18-2010, 07:52 AM
I made up a wrench out of some 1/4 x 2 8inch flat bar. When I get'em close I hold the die and tighten with the wrench.
No problem's for me.

jonk
05-18-2010, 09:16 AM
I know a guy who did it, worked ok.

Personally I FAR prefer the Lee lock rings to other brands. There's nothing I hate more than screwing around with the Allen wrench- which always seems to stop on the back side of the die- when I could just be loading ammo.

Big Dave
05-18-2010, 08:20 PM
#4 birdshot pellet under the set screw prevents damadged threads.

littlejack
05-19-2010, 02:16 AM
Yes, I've done it to about a half dozen of my Lee lock rings. I did use a small drill press though. I've had not had any problems with them at all.
Jack

jimkim
05-19-2010, 02:57 AM
I replace them with either RCBS or Hornady lockrings. I have a whole drawer full of discarded lock rings...........

Hope this helps.

Fred

For some reason some of them slip and some don't. Never figured out what the difference was. With the ones that slip I use two Lee lock rings jammed together. It has worked for years. What would you take for your drawer full of Lee lock rings?

dtalley
05-22-2010, 04:14 PM
I also change the Lee lock rings and use RCBS on my Lee dies.

3006guns
05-22-2010, 05:17 PM
From a machinist's standpoint, you always use a COARSE thread in soft or brittle materials. A 32 thread is pretty puny to use in soft aluminum, easy to strip if too much "crank" is used on them, because there's very little material in the threads and it's soft to boot.

Cast iron.....good example of a brittle material, so usually a coarse thread is used. You don't see too many SAE fine threads screwed into an engine block if they're going to take a lot of stress...like manifold studs for example.

If you don't like the Lee style rings, the simple solution is to buy them from another manufacturer.