PDA

View Full Version : need 9mm Ruger revo conversion advice

Piedmont
05-15-2010, 04:09 AM
In my parts box I have a Speed Six 9mm cylinder assembly complete with crane. It has been on the back burner for a convertible Security Six, which I already own.

Does any one have any opinions on how well these work? Is headspace touchy for functioning and ignition? Will I most likely need moon clips like I do for my .45 ACP?

I've been held back because I have a wadcutter mould in .38 and thousands of cases, but I have thousands of 9mm cases, too, and dies and moulds.

Another possibility that has been eating at me and probably isn't practical either is to get the 9mm cylinder rechambered to .38 S&W, like the limited contract of .380 Rimmed that went to India. I don't own any .38 S&W brass or dies so that one would cost more (plus reaming costs).

All advice welcomed.

NickSS
05-15-2010, 05:31 AM
I remember a magazine article on the 9mm Rugers. They were made for sales appeal to foreign police forces who wanted a 9mm revolver. From what I remember the ejection star had spring clips built in that snapped into the extractor groove when the cartridge was pushed in so that you did not have to use a moon clip. I am not positive of this but it is what I remember.

Piedmont
05-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Nick SS, You remember correctly. I don't know if that was the first version of Ruger's 9mm or a special contract, but they did away with that system and went to a regular ejector and the clips.

The cylinder group I have is of the latter type.

I just don't want to set this up as a 9mm and find it is problematic.