PDA

View Full Version : pulling paper patched bullets

dnepr
05-14-2010, 10:51 PM
does anyone have any experince with pulling paper patched bullets with a kinetic type puller , does it work or does it mess up the paper ?

Fire_stick
05-14-2010, 11:40 PM
I started doing this when I first thought about trying Paper Patching. After loading a few dummy rounds and pulling them w/ the kinetic puller, I was satisfied that the paper would not be damaged. Prep your cases properly and make sure to debur the inside of the case mouth.

So far, so good.

303Guy
05-15-2010, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the question and answer! I have had the problem of not knowing how the heck to pull a paper patched boolit - until now!:idea:

dnepr
05-15-2010, 09:44 AM
good to know thanks , will be pulling some this weekend depending on the honey dew list

longbow
05-15-2010, 10:13 AM
If you don't have a kinetic boolit puller something that is rude, crude and simple but works is to use a long 1/2" drive socket. I use MAC impact sockets which are long enough to allow medium length cartridges like .303.

The cartridge fits into the 1/2" drive end and the rim sits on the face. A few raps on the end of the socket and the boolit pops out. Of course it does require a rim and body of about .303 or .44 mag diameter.

I have used this for .303 and .44 mag. I have pulled standard cast, paper patched and factory jacketed.

I wouldn't want to do a bunch but it does work for a few.

Yes, I know, I should buy a kinetic bullet puller but we do not have any gun stores around here and I don't pull many boolits so...

Longbow

303Guy
05-16-2010, 12:06 AM
Mmmm .... I needed to pull the same boolit twice for slipping in the patch. Had to damage it to get it out. Got to try longbow's trick!

Zeek
05-16-2010, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the question and answer! I have had the problem of not knowing how the heck to pull a paper patched boolit - until now!:idea:

I kinetic, can you? Seriously, though, those PPatches sure are a lot tougher than they seem like they would be. This goes double for the tracing paper patches, which are like armor, but they part from the CBoo core quite nicely at the muzzle despite being very difficult to remove (from the CBoo) by fingernail. I find that a 3X (adds six thousandths) or 4X (adds eight thousandths) tracing paper patch answers most needs without having to deal with the excess added thickness of, say, a 2X16# notebook paper patch. Pretty cool stuff!
Zeek

dnepr
05-17-2010, 11:11 PM
well I pulled those bullets , the kinetic tore the paper on the first on , this is thin dress patern paper , 3 wraps , so I played around and found that I could twist the bullets out ,I spun them in the direction of the wrap , and they twisted out by hand with out damage, I am useing a " M die" I machined to the specs listed in Paul Mathews book , and I have pretty strong hands so YMMV but it worked for me :bigsmyl2: