PDA

View Full Version : Help with My Hornady AP Progressive Press

put
05-14-2010, 08:17 PM
I have a Hornady AP Progressive Press. I just installed the EZ ject retrofit kit. The screws holding the old base plate were stuck. Per their instructions I was told to tap the allen wrench with a hammer. I did and still nothing. I finally drilled out the screw and installed the base plate. Now I have other problems. It no longer operates smoothly. When the handle is down and the ram is at the top of the stroke, I am able to move the handle 1/2" left to right and the whole ram rotates. I do not believe it did this before I changed the base plate.

Have I just ruined this press? Any thoughts? how much side to side movment is normal?

[smilie=b:

parrott1969
05-14-2010, 09:14 PM
did you check the paws? did you forget a spacer on the handle?

put
05-15-2010, 01:07 AM
The paws are fine and i did not change anything on the handle. After looking at it again it looks like I torked the frame while I was attempting to loosen the screw. I guess I got too aggressive. It looks like the 2 holes where the main axel runs through is now out of round. I will be calling Hornady on monday.

technetium-99m
05-15-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm a little confused.

How did the frame get "torqued" by taking out those little screws? I'm not sure how you could generate enough force with an allen wrench to do anything to any of the parts.

Is it possible that when drilling you wallowed out the holes in the ram those screws pass through to secure the baseplate?

I found both of my presses' screws to be so fixed in place they had to be drilled out as well.

August
05-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Please call Hornady. They are very helpful, patient, and experienced.

put
05-15-2010, 07:24 PM
OK Here is what I think i did. The instructions said to block the handle with a screwdriver. This raseis the ram an inch or so. When I discovered I needed to drill the screw out, I rasied the ram all the way. This left the handle down. I must have been leaning on the handle for a period of time torking the whole ram assembly.

Yes I will call Hornady. I know trhey can help me get it right.

technetium-99m
05-16-2010, 02:27 AM
I'm still not seeing you putting enough force on the press to torque anything out of whack, but stuff happens.

Hornady has always been great with their customer service, they will put you straight.