PDA

View Full Version : Isotope containers

DLCTEX
05-14-2010, 07:43 PM
I received a message on Facebook this morning that a friend is bringing me some Isotope containers that collectively weigh about 50 lbs. Aren't these mostly pure lead? They come from a nuclear medicine lab.

Muddy Creek Sam
05-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Some yes some no. See http://www.fellingfamily.net/isolead/index.html

Sam :D

chief3
05-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Over the last 3 years I have been able to get about 600 lbs. of these containers.
I found most of them seem to be pure lead, at least they are very soft. Work well in my muzzle loaders. About a quarter of them are quite hard at least as hard as wheel weights. The caps for the containers are even harder, so I save them for my 7mm and 35 Whelan.
Unfortunately my source is drying up. His wife works at a hospital and they are giving the lead to several people now so I can't get as much.
It was great while it lasted and the price was right, free.

DLCTEX
05-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Got them today. One large one weighed about 20# by itself, the rest are small and appear to be all alloy. The large one had two clips to hold the lid and two small brass nut embedded. The clips removed with a couple screws. By the scratch test method they appear to be about WW in hardness and will be fine for 45 ACP and 38 boolits, and probably 30-30 and more. The Pharmacist he got them from said he will get more. I'll cast my friend some 200 gr. SWC boolits in return.:loveboolits
The large one actually weighed 24#, the total was 55#.

Beekeeper
05-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Hay Dale, when you use them do you glow in the dark?
Seems like you would give your position away.

Jim

Hardcast416taylor
05-15-2010, 11:04 PM
Been using tthis type of lead for 20 odd years. I would put the hardness at about 2 points softer than straight ww`s. NO, they don`t make tracer`s in the dark!Robert

sqlbullet
05-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Another nice thing about this type of lead is it's ability to heat treat. Sam already posted my link above. I am using this lead in my M1 Garand. Water drop, felix lube, and no leading clear to about 2100 fps so far. So far just with gas checks.

Sold some this weeked to a guy who has been shooting in his Garand, and in his 7mm Mag. He is edging up near 2500 fps.

Going to try a plain base 200 grain in the Garand and see what I get.