PDA

View Full Version : Opinions, which is best: Freechex or Checkmaker?

sheepdog
05-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Let the opinions begin.

JKH
05-14-2010, 01:24 PM
from pure observation of the other tool here on the board, and firsthand experience with the Freechex II design (and Charlie), I would vote for Freechex, especially the newest iteration of the Freechex III

Charlie's newest tool is a marvel, a comletely self contained unit that produces a finished check with one motion, AND it can be used with most any kind of press, OR for the best in flexibility you can take it with you and use it on any hard surface with even a heavy stick to punch out checks.
Think about sitting around a camp fire casting boolits with a pot and dipper, then using a piece of firewood you can sit there and pound out checks as fast as you want to, try that with other check making tools! Even the old Freechex I or II tools can be used anywhere you want in the same manner but of course not as quick an easy.

So, long story even longer, the versatility of the Freechex system (and the quality of the checks produced), make it hands down the best system going.

Okay, flame away!

Jeff

DukeInFlorida
05-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Which is best, Ford of Chevy?

Well, I'm a Dodge kind of guy, and I agree with JKH, that Charlie has come up with a winner in his FreeChex III die set. The one step system is the way to go.........

Mine (FreeChex III) makes gas checks at least twice as fast as anything else on the market.

edsmith
05-16-2010, 10:40 AM
for ease of use and speed,the freechex has my vote,plus they are easy to copy if you want to make one.

JeffinNZ
05-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Kinda like asking how long is a piece of string.

I have only used the Freechex system but have seen very good reports about Pat's system.

The best one is the one you have or feel most comfortable using I guess.

I fear this thread will descend into unpleasantness.........

JKH
05-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Jeff,

You most likely are right, especially as there are still those who for unknown/foolish reasons thrive on bashing Charlie.

THis has nothing to do with the men making the tools, simply the tools themselves. I have not seen the Checkmaker tool first hand but have followed the threads about it with great interest, that particular tool seems to be extremely well made, and for the design well thought out. Having said that, from simple obsservation of both tools I will stand by my original assesment that the Freechex system (II or III) is superior by virtue of the flexibility of use the designs afford. I am a practical man and while I love the concept of a strictly press mounted tool I firmly believe it is too limiting for anyone that may need now, or in the future to create ammunition in less than optimum circumstances or simply who would like to sit in front of the TV making checks while watching a movie and having a beer, make sense?

Jeff

vonnieglen
05-19-2010, 06:51 PM
First let me say that I admire both Charlie and Pat Marlin a great deal. If it is a choice between a FreeChex I or II and the Checkmaker there might be some question. Now that Charlie has started selling the FreeChex III there really is no question. The FreeChex III basically makes the other tools obsolete. It is like asking which is better... a bolt action rifle or a machine gun. The next video I post will show me making 200 gas checks in under five minutes using the FreeChex III. It is an incredible tool!

JKH
05-19-2010, 08:07 PM
I received my new FC III today, wonderful piece of machining so Charlie has linked up with a quality machine shop, his design is simple elegance.

I hope to try it tonight but already know what to expect from vonnieglen's video, I will post my results after I fire this puppy up :^ )

I agree with vg, comparison's between the earlier Frechex system's might be more valid, this new tool is infinitely better and more versatile, so many options for its use (even using a hammer in a pinch with care) leaves no room for comparison to the Checkmaker.
All the posts I have read about PM's Checkmaker tool have shown it to be a well made tool that does and admirable job of creating gas checks, it just is not in the same league due to its two step operation for making checks and dependence on having to use a loading press.
That is not an indictment of the tool, just simple facts.

For some people one system will be ideal and the other will not, I have a distinct feeling that if looked at in an objective manner, most would choose the FC III

Jeff

DukeInFlorida
05-26-2010, 02:03 PM
The video was done before Charlie started adding the round tenon at the "fat end" of the tool. If you chuck that tenon in the drille press or arbor press, then the checks fall out the bottom of the forming tube. Gravity is your friend.

That way, you don't have to keep stopping to empty the tube, it empties itself.

Once I figured that out, the FreeChex III is the winner!

StarMetal
05-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Well as noted just opinions here. Nothing to do with my check maker, but rather the design or style. Here's a pic:
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/starmetal47/CheckDie.jpg

On this you feed a strip of material through a slot and punch out the checks and they drop out the bottom into your primer tray. There is no ram sticking, no having to poke, and the slot through is more ridgit then the C-style slot. Also you can can pull the strip through much faster then sliding the FreeChex.

As soon as I get one of these out to Patmarlin he can study it and start chopping them out.

My opinion is that making gas checks is boring and slow especially with a two step process. The name of the game for me is speed, but yet with a quality check.

JKH
05-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Here is a link to another Freechex thread, I posted my exprience with the new FC III along with some rather spotty looking cell phone pics (I have a fine Canon prosumer DSLR but post pics from a crappy phone!).

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=905866#post905866

I stand by my asessment of this tool, it is unbelievably fast and smooth, and the checks are excellant, and most importantly they are consistent. I admire the other tools out there and the skill and work put into them, however, there is just no way to fairly compare them as they cannot come close to this tool in any way shape or form.

I made a lot of checks on my FC II tools and will still use them for .22 and 8mm, BUT, it is so laboriously slow compared to the FC III that someday I will replace those tools as well, its hard to go back when you've gone so far forward!

Jeff

Jim Sheldon
05-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Gentlemen, you can flame me all you want, but until Charlie stops selling his Freechex check makers exclusively on eBay he won't get any of my money.

As rabidly anti-gun as eBay and PayPal are, I will not buy anything that puts money in either Pay Pal or eBay's coffers no matter how good the product is.

JKH
05-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Starmetal,

I have admired you're tool from afar for a good while now, if Charlie had not invented and marketed the FC III and you're tool was on the market, I would have bought it without qualm.

I can see the merits of both slot types, personally I like the open slot as I cut my materal in 1" strips and cut both sides, I find it easier to cut 1" than 1/2" on the cutting board I use. With the closed slot though there would most likely be less of an issue with small pieces if you accidentally overcut and existing hole.

On the FC II the open slot COULD be an issue if you used gorilla strength and a big hammer to puch the discs, the tool doesnt require much force but if overdone the slot Can start to pinch closed espcially if cutting thicker/harder aluminum like hard flashing, I have'nt had that issue with mine at all using my .008" anealled aluminum lith plate. On the FC III there is absolutely NO pressure on the portion of the tool where the slot is cut so it is impossible for this to happen.

Having said that, I wouldnt mind the FC III having a closed slot like you're tool, but once you get used to using the tool, and establish a rhythym it really doesnt matter.

Just so folks know (if you can tell us that is), what will you're tool be selling for on the open market?

Jeff

JKH
05-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Hey Jim,

No flame here, I respect you're right and opinion, whether I or anyone else agree or disagree is inmatrial. I must say though that you are missing out on one fantastic piece of equipment, if Starmetal gets his in prodction though you can always go that route, I would highly recommend you wait for a one step tool.

Jeff

Jim Sheldon
05-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Hey Jim,

No flame here, I respect you're right and opinion, whether I or anyone else agree or disagree is inmatrial. I must say though that you are missing out on one fantastic piece of equipment, if Starmetal gets his in prodction though you can always go that route, I would highly recommend you wait for a one step tool.

Jeff

I've already ordered one of Pat's. Personally I prefer the two step method as you can inspect the disks before you form the cup and reject any that don't measure up. I'm not in any kind of a hurry. Also, I teach reloading and it's much easier to demonstrate how gas checks are formed to the class with the two step process. Just the way I like to do things.

JKH
05-26-2010, 03:45 PM
there ya go! We each have our needs and wants and there are toolst meet both.

I made a lot of checks on a two stage tool, and with all the casting and loading I do the FC III free's up a very large block of time that can be muh better spent.

Who know's, as you get older you might change you're mind ;^ )

Jeff

Jim Sheldon
05-26-2010, 04:48 PM
there ya go! We each have our needs and wants and there are toolst meet both.

I made a lot of checks on a two stage tool, and with all the casting and loading I do the FC III free's up a very large block of time that can be muh better spent.

Who know's, as you get older you might change you're mind ;^ )

Jeff

Hey Jeff,
At 68, I'd rather slow down than speed up. It goes too fast already.

roysha
05-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Jim:
I'm with you 100% on everything you said in this thread.