PDA

View Full Version : Linotype for 45 Colt?

Ed Gallop
05-14-2010, 09:54 AM
I've been mixing for #2 Alloy to use in all cast but am having trouble finding tin or 50/50 bar solder. I read in a loading manual where 38 cal used pure Linotype. I have lots of it and was wondering... Would it be suitable in my 45 Colt? Ed.

RayinNH
05-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Welcome Ed. Sure your linotype will work but is totally unnecessary. Linotype is hard to come by these days and a waste of a superior casting metal. The .45 Colt and the .38 Special ( I'm guessing) with velocities of around 800-850 fps. don't require anything more than the lowly wheelweight or range scrap. You can probably trade for wheelweights easily on this board, 2# WW for 1# linotype. Save the linotype for rifle boolits, because you know if you hang around here long you'll be casting for those as well...Ray

MtGun44
05-14-2010, 01:24 PM
I second the opinion. Lino will work fine, altho pretty hard and sometimes hard can actually
not work as well as softer. In any case, cut it at least 50-50 with pure lead. This is a
wonderful alloy, casts beautifully and shoots very well in all my pistols. If you have wheel
weights, you can use them directly as a great alloy for .45 LC.

Actually, my bet is that if you cut your lino down to 1/3 lino and 2/3 pure lead and MAYBE
dropped in a piece of current production solder for copper pipes (Home Depot or Lowes)
which is nearly pure tin, you'd be real happy. May not need the solder. You only need
1-2% tin to get good fill out. If you are melting 10 lbs of alloy in a Lee melter, then you only
need 3.2 ounces of solder to get 2% if you have zero from your lino (which it doesn't).
Lino has 2% IIRC so would have 0.66% if you cut it 1/3 lino - 2/3 Pb. So adding around
2 ounces or so of solder (weigh it but I'm guessing maybe 6 inches or less) would get you
back up to 2%.

May not need to add any tin at all. Mix 50-50 with lead and it will work great. 33-66 with
lead may well cast just fine, too.

Bill

cbrick
05-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Welcome to Castboolits Ed Gallop,

Actually virgin lino has 4% tin though the amount could have been reduced through repeated use in the printing industry.

Lino =
Lead - 84%
Antimony - 12%
Tin - 4%

Rick

fredj338
05-14-2010, 03:49 PM
I used to cast all my bullets w/ lino back when I got it cheap. Now I use it to sweeten pure pure or range scrap or ww. 1# lino to 4# ww works great, close to #2.

Ed Gallop
05-15-2010, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the help. This is a great forum. Wish I had found it earlier.

I cast 30.30 Winchester with #2 alloy as well but started buying jacketed because cast was like shooting a 22 cal in comparison, even with a little more powder load. I assumed the softer lead would not allow enough pressure to build. Maybe that would be solved by casting harder lead with more Linotype. I'll be more conservative knowing it is getting rare.

I have plenty of free wheel weights. Never thought of casting my .45 Colts with it alone. Same with my 38 and 9mm. Ahhh... Something new to try. Thanks. Ed.

Lloyd Smale
05-15-2010, 07:15 AM
at least no one has posted that they will fracture at 45 colt speeds ;) I used to do it all the time but like was posted earlier linotype has just gotten to hard to find and i treasure my stash to much to use it like that. If I had an unlimited supply id still be doing it. I had some really good loads for some of my sixguns using it. Used to use it even in the 45acp.

44man
05-15-2010, 08:30 AM
I agree, the stuff is too dear to waste.
Lead is getting hard to come by free or cheap but even having to buy some to alloy can be worth it.
I like hard and tough boolits but "hard" is a subjective term. There is no need for real hard boolits.
I would hoard the lino! :-)