PDA

View Full Version : 357--Magnum

mag_01
07-29-2006, 01:15 PM
:coffee: ----Got a chance to shoot at the range today---Colt python 4 in.-357 mag.---load was 158gr. semi wadcuter with 6.5 Bullseye --listed as a max load it was pleasent to shoot felt light and conagraphed at 1200 plus---somthing that wont beat you up----shot both paper and clay pegions (in season) at 35 yrs. or so---Had 2 rifles but range was pretty well filled with too much activity---so came home early when 357 ammo was gone---hope the rest of you got out to shoot---Mag:castmine:

mag_01
07-29-2006, 01:20 PM
:coffee: ----I was wondering and this has been bothering me---Do we load to shoot---or shoot to load-----any help on this subject would ease my mind---Mag:Fire: :Fire: :Fire: :Fire: :castmine:

johniv
07-29-2006, 02:32 PM
:coffee: ----I was wondering and this has been bothering me---Do we load to shoot---or shoot to load-----any help on this subject would ease my mind---Mag:Fire: :Fire: :Fire: :Fire: :castmine:

Yup!!
John

dragonrider
07-29-2006, 06:53 PM
Definately I shoot to load. The target results are not as important to me as the loading. Off course I at least want them on paper at what ever distance I shoot, but if it is 1" or 4" I don't really care. The time spent crafting a safe load by trying this or that combo of powder, primer, bullet, case, or from this or that press or one procedure over another is what keeps me loading.

GP100man
07-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Mag01 in 85 I loaded to shoot more now I find myself running out of brass.Take a break every so often to:Fire::Fire: calculate averges & next cartridge combo oh yeah & clean Rugers & Remingtons at the end day:grin: nice project today cuz needed shotshells for S$W 625 , wanted more killing power than the factory. OK so I measured cyl. with case in moon clip trimmed 270 win. to .030 shorter.then sized with 45 acp die ,lubed case &sized in 44 mag to throat fed 155 primer,4.5 gr 700x 2 cut out cards from const paper 210 gr #9 chilled shot another card all packed firmly roll crimped & sealed with elmers carpenters glue.shot one before gluing & at twenty feet mr. nolegs is in deep trouble!!!! PS. Dragonrider you said it better than me:grin:

versifier
07-29-2006, 10:28 PM
It's a "chicken or the egg" question. It depends on whether or not the cases are empty (then you load to shoot) or already loaded (then you shoot to load). The main thing is it keeps you busy and at home. :drinks:

BOOM BOOM
07-31-2006, 05:52 PM
HI,
I LOAD TO SHOOT!
RULE 1
Have 1000 brass of favorite rifle calibers empty by deer hunt.
RULE 2
Have 1000 brass of favorite pistol calibers empty by deer hunt.
RULE3
Christmass vacation is for casting ALOT.
RULE 4
WINTER W/ SNOW is for reloading for summer.:castmine: to:Fire:

9.3X62AL
08-01-2006, 01:22 AM
I think Mag 01's question is a toss-up--whether metallics or shotshells are being crafted.

I just finished the shotshell portion of this year's Bird Hunts Hull Re-Stuffing Sequence, 12 and 28 Gauge Divisions. There weren't enough empties in the other 3 gauges to justify setting up the MECs. Those 2 gauges have gotten the most work for the past several years--the 28 for doves and quail/first weekend shooting, and the 12 for about everything else. The 28 gauge--3/4 oz.--#9 shot "skeet" load kicked out about 1250 FPS is one efficient small bird harvester. The 12 gauge load is 1-1/4 oz of either #9's or #6's, also a high velocity (1250 FPS) dosage.