PDA

View Full Version : Big day for me! First mould AND first WW melt.

Chris00WJ
05-13-2010, 05:46 PM
So I picked up my first mould today. It's a lee 6 cavity tumble lube 9mm. Dont know the part number cuz it's in the garage.

Wheel weights are melting as we speak. Hope Im ready for this! Im not going to go all out with bullet moulding. My main concern is getting some ingots made. I cant have the mould and not try to drop a few though.

I'll report back in a couple hours! Wish me luck!

gray wolf
05-13-2010, 07:45 PM
OK--good luck
Take it slow and think as you go. One step at a time ,and think safety ALL the time.

GW

Hickory
05-13-2010, 08:09 PM
So I picked up my first mould today.
I'll report back in a couple hours! Wish me luck!

Your first boolit mould huh?
And your first post too.

Well I hope you have a lot of money!
This place will run you broke buying
boolit moulds and all the do-dads you
never thought you needed.;)

No matter, even when you're without money
the guys here are a wealth of information.
Stick around, but keep a tight hand on your wallet. :hijack:

Chris00WJ
05-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Melting is done. Everything went smooth as could be thanks to all the knowledge here. I've been lurking for quite some time.

Didnt cast any bullets, just melted some WW into ingots. The wheel weights definitely dont go as far as you think they will. I didnt start with a ton to begin with (80-90lbs). Just wanted to get my feet wet at this point.

I'll grab a lee production pot next payday and try my hand at casting boolits!

44fanatic
05-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Well I hope you have a lot of money!
This place will run you broke buying
boolit moulds and all the do-dads you
never thought you needed.;)

No truer statement said...LOL.

I was addicted on my first smelt and mold.

jmsj
05-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Chris00WJ,
First off welcome, this is a great place w/ great guys willing to share their knowledge w/ others.
Sounds like you might be hooked. The others are right, you'll be spending more than you thought on casting gear. I've been selling old gear to buy new casting tools and molds. Been thinking about picking up more side work to fund some of the group buys or custom molds. It can become an addiction!!!
jmsj

Eagles6
05-13-2010, 10:24 PM
You'll know you have a problem when you start trading your beer for WW and base metals. Once you cross that line there is no hope!:lovebooli

BlueNorther
05-14-2010, 11:10 AM
I just did my first melt too yesterday, 50 pounds of lead sheeting someone gave me. Still collecting WW but have a ways to go before I can cast bullets. My Brother is coming up from Oregon next week and is bringing my new boolit molds and other accessories. Now that the Canuck buck is par with the American buck I can save some pretty good coin buying from across the border. A Lyman single cavity mold cost a $100.00 here in Alberta, I got them for $52.00 from Midsouth.

Chris00WJ
05-15-2010, 11:38 PM
Where in Alberta are you Bluenorther? Im in Calgary!

canyon-ghost
05-15-2010, 11:46 PM
I'd like to welcome the Canadians to our sport! Good to see you, gentlemen. True enough, you can buy molds and equipment from the US cheaper. We have a vast selection of firearms equipment down here and a good sport going on! I live fairly close to the national ranges for the NRA here, no stretch of the imagination that there's access to about anything a guy could want.

Welcome aboard,
Ron

mac1911
05-16-2010, 06:48 AM
hickory has a great point about the money! A little to add, the money we save casting boolits especially with home smelted alloy will pay for it self.
ex: I mainly make shotgun shot for reloading 1oz per shot 25oz per box or about 400 shells per 25lb bag @ 30.00+ a bag if you can find it in my area.

My investment: shot dropper, smelter set up, electrical hook up(needed 220/15amp for dropper) utensils 425.00$ or 18 bags of shot or 450lbs. Well I have about 300lbs in ignots and @ least another 500+ in WWs and a good amount of other lead.

I do not factor my time. I get that @ a discount. If I had a job with available OT I would work OT to support my shooting. I would get a part time job if one could be found that fit into my life......or if one could be found. So I get a few hours a week where I can get this stuff done.

kbstenberg
05-16-2010, 07:32 AM
Mac aint it the pits when your OT determins when you can order new stuff.
Kevin

BlueNorther
05-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Hey Chris, I'm just to the north of you in Airdrie.

Thanks for the welcome Canyon. I've been on this site everyday since I found it and am impressed with the amount of info and those who are willing to pass on their expertise to others.