PDA

View Full Version : No idea where to start.

Charlie Two Tracks
05-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Just wanted to say Hi. I am just starting to learn about casting. I don't even know what questions to ask but I am reading as much as I can on this site. Wow! There is an awful lot of information to go through. It will just take some time to figure this site out and what is going on.

Harter66
05-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Don't panic ! I was in the same place a couple of years ago. I got scared off hearing/reading about moulds,dies sizers,slugging, gas checks, pots,tools ,alloys,all the stuff you had to have ,this site and another and some help from a couple of BP fellows , I now cast good boolits and get good loads just about every time with just a little fine tuning. I shot 1000 rounds last year compared to 300 5 years ago when I was "well"prepared for both deer and antelope.

We are just pouring a liquid in a hole cooling it off and hurling it down range,kinda like making ice cubes for a sling shot for that cat on the back fence.

Welcome to the sanity !

MJR007
05-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Welcome, be glad you do not know every thing...

docone31
05-13-2010, 07:13 PM
As an example,
for a given caliber, Lee for example makes the most popular, functional mold. Now, in the variety of bores for that particular firearm, there can be diviences.
What I reccomend,
Get a Lee 20lb bottom pour pot. Get a mold for your caliber. Soak the mold in mineral spirits for a couple of days, then mold your brains out! I am still useing the last of my castings for my .38s. I fire them a lot. I make a bunch at one time.
I size them .358.
What you are reading here, is mostly people who are dedicated to the art of casting. You gotta be to be here.
A lot of knowlege here. Some real fine tricks that work. You have to cast first to utilize it though.
Do not ingot from the pot you will be casting from. You will get crud in the pot and it will interfere with casting.
Welcome, pretty soon you will be one of us.
You can do it.

myg30
05-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Hi Charlie and welcome. Im fairly new to casting and there is lots to learn here at CB.
Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click on the Cast Boolit notes from Lasc. Tons of info there, really good info and lots of it.
If you can get a book like lymans Cast boolit handbook its also really good reading and has the powder loads for when you start to reload you boolits.
You might want to mension if you already reload and what calibers you might want to cast and reload for.
Great bunch of guys here and plenty of help too!

Mike

RobS
05-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Welcome to the forum and yep there is a ton of info here with a great group of individuals who have a wealth of knowledge. The stickies are good to look through as they will cover a bulk of info that is common, but if you look through them and/or do a search and can't figure out whatever it is, you can bet that someone here has "been there and done that" so you are in good hands.

The constant to casting is that there are common concepts to the hobby and with that in mind there are many ways to arrive at where you may be heading. Have fun with the new found addiction!!!

Charlie Two Tracks
05-13-2010, 07:29 PM
When I get into it. I will be casting for a .357 revolver. I have the reamers for the throats which will be .358. I also have a forcing cone reamer to make it 12 deg. I reload for the .357 right now and have enjoyed it quite a bit. I just want to make my own boolits. I can buy them fairly cheap but they are not mine. If you know what I mean.

myg30
05-13-2010, 07:36 PM
You can always start real cheep to try it. A lee mold, pot from good will store, heat source like electric 1000w plate or propane burner, dipper and WW's.
After spending few on this stuff, you'll buy the 20lb lee pot, several molds, lots lead, tin etc and you'll be posting here to help another casting victim out soon !!! Enjoy.

RKJ
05-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Charlie, I'm a new guy in this game too and like you I was (still am by a lot of it) overwhelmed by all the info and different ways to make the same thing (a cast bullet) but I've found as was stated that it's actually pretty easy. I went to Walgreens and got a $10.00 hot plate and a stainless Steel (SS) pot from Goodwill to melt wheelweights and got condiment cups (4 for 97 cents at Walmart) for ingots that make 1.2 lb ingots (and fit very well in a LEE 20 lb pot) I got LEE moulds (2 cavity for 19.88) at Midway. I also got the LEE 20 lb pot (on sale 68.00). I found that even to a novice, after all I read here I had a good idea what the finished product should look like. I also found that it's pretty hard to screw up the bullets (either that or I'm just too easy and don't cull what others would) :) I also found that I really enjoy doing it (even the lubing, although that part of it not as much). :) I've also found a Cornucopia of information and a bunch of good people on this site.

mac1911
05-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Newbie here also, my main objective is homemade shot for trap shooting, slugs, and 50cal Black powder.
I always start with the basics-----insomniac so this part is easy. Reading great sites like this.
Then finding the equipment. I like to do as low cost as possible.
My small smelter set up.
BayouClasic high preasure burner, regulator and a 1/2 full tank @ yard sale 25 BUCKS !!!!!!
good start. They used for a big party and never again! My gain
2. the equipment, dollar stores and consignment shops scored most of my utensils,pots ect ect.
3. lead so far for free several hundred pounds

05-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Charlie,
Welcome to the best source for anything having to do with boolits.

I started casting solo, so needed as much information as possible, so I read a lot, too.

If you don't have it, get Lyman's "Cast Bullet Handbook" -- no publication is better.

The archive is invaluable: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/f-8.html

Another very useful site: http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

You will soon discover that, for any particular casting or boolit shooting problem, there will always be more than one answer, all based upon the poster's individual experience. It worked for them, under similar circumstances, but it may not work for you. Take it all under consideration. No one here will purposely give you any false information.

I have a question: Why are you going to ream the cylinder throats to .358"? Are they presently smaller than the barrel's groove? If you ream to .358", your boolit will most likely need to be .359". I suggest you do a lot of research before you ream.

You haven't asked -- yet -- but NO!, you will not save money.

Oh, yes, go slow, have fun and don't get frustrated.

Edit to add: Spend time reading the stickies, too.

Muddy Creek Sam
05-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Howdy Charlie,

Glad to see you found your way over here from the Ruger forum. This is a great place for casting info and much much more.

Sam :D

Charlie Two Tracks
05-15-2010, 06:10 AM
I was going to ream because the throats are not all the same and I would need to use a very large hammer to get a .358 boolit through them.
Thanks Muddy Creek Sam.

WHITETAIL
05-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Charly, Welcome and ask all you want![smilie=w:

Echo
05-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Welcome to the best board on the Web, Charlie! Read all the Stickies, and then read them again.

I've been casting for about 40+ years, but have learned SO MUCH in the last couple of years from this board! You will, too...