PDA

View Full Version : New 6 cavity Lee molds

mstarling
05-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Guys,

I used mostly steel molds (Lyman, NEI, H&G, Ballisti-Cast). Needed a couple of cheapies because I have a 40 I need to feed and a 452460 Lyman 4 banger I can't find!

Bought a couple of Lee 6 bangers (one is .40 and one in .45).

Honestly haven't been following the Lee threads over the years ... so I'd appreciate some pointers on lubricating the new molds. I have silver anti-sieze, moly lube, kroil and the other more usual stuff. Don't have any Bullshop lube available at the moment.

What's the best way to get these fellas started?

Thanks Very much for your patience,

Mike

skimmerhead
05-13-2010, 12:13 AM
follow lee inst. too the tee and you'll drop good boolits. make sure your lead is clean. i have a .40cal.175gr tc 6cav. first time i used it i followed lee inst. casted 750 boolits in 2-1/2 hours 5 rejects. lot of ways to prep mold and there is a lot of info available. all molds have there own chracteristics, get to know your mold and read info thats available, and ask Q's

skimmerhead

Buckshot
05-13-2010, 01:09 AM
.............Bummer, no Bullplate lube:-( Be aware of how you're opening the SP as it's long and you have the added leverage of the handle, so it needs lube between the SP and blocks around the pivit bolt.

You should also put a screw or setscrew into the blocks where the SP cam bears. See: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=4790 and I believe shows a photo.

..............Buckshot

leadman
05-16-2010, 08:06 PM
I use Bullplate lube where the lever contacts the mold and have had no issues with wear there.
Make sure you preheat the mold in the pot like Lee says to do. If the sprue plate does not want to open after the travel is take up on the lever insert a flat screwdriver blade between the mold and the face of the lever. This restores the mechanical advantage and the sprues should cut and the mold open. After the mold is up to operating temp. this will not be a problem.

That 40 cal mold is a good one. I think this is the fastest mold as far as number of bullets per hour and very few rejects.