PDA

View Full Version : .30 cal?

blaser.306
05-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Is there anyone that is currently swaging .30 cal bullets that would be willing to part with perhaps 10 or so jackets , I am going to try and make a set of dies but would like to have a few jackets to take critical measurements from ! Blaser.306.

martin
05-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Blaser.306,

I am currently working on dies for .30 cal with the ultimate end goal of somthing similar to 168grain Match Kings. I currently have 1000 Sierra 1.155 length jackets and per your request could send you some for your measuring pleasure - just send me your address in a PM.

I also have had on order (for the last 2 months) from Berger, 30 cal jackets in 1.15, 1.2, and 1.3. I expect them any day now.

A concern that I would have with you taking critical measurements is that the jackets will likely change from manufacturer to manufacturer. In my experience Corbin Jackets have different dimensions than Berger which are different than Sierra based on taper and wall thickness which effects core seating die punch dimensions. In other words, there is some customization that goes into both core finished dimension and a core seat external punch based on jacket manufacturer.

The bottom line is that you may want to consider ordering up the jackets you intend on using and do your measurements for your dies and punches on them to avoid having to make several sets of punches or even a squirt die.

Martin

Ballard
05-13-2010, 11:26 AM
I can dig up a few jackets. I have Corbin and J4. Martin is right about the differences in jackets. However, I would say one should always have several core seat punches for just this reason.

miestro_jerry
05-14-2010, 01:03 PM
I am looking for the swage dies for a Herters 9 ton press.

Jerry