PDA

View Full Version : Lead source

44fanatic
05-12-2010, 08:50 PM
If you recall that I posted my interest in getting the range lead from the local sheriffs dept when I interviewed for a job with them...

Talked to the range master today and it sounds like there are only two people interested in the lead. The rangemaster and myself. He said he cleaned out 22 5 gal buckets a few months back and I was led to believe that he cleans that amount out about every 4 months. I think I got that glazed over look and started drooling on myself when he said that...BTW he only casts sinkers so I dont think he uses that much lead.

Now, back to the 22 buckets, even if they are 1/4 full, thats 5 full buckets, guessing about 60-70lbs of lead ingots per bucket when done...

I need to find out what he does w/ the brass. Cant and dont reload for the 40 S&Ws coming out of the Glock and Sig issued weapons but Im figuring that there are plenty of deputy's shooting 380's, 9's and 45's as back up/off duty weapons.

I think im drooling again.

Curlymaple42
05-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Hahaha! Nice. What a great score!

myg30
05-13-2010, 07:23 PM
Dont forget your neighbors in Nashville !
Good deal and good luck on the job!

Be safe, mike

Doby45
05-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Cant and dont reload for the 40 S&Ws coming out of the Glock and Sig issued weapons

Why is that?

44fanatic
05-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Dont forget your neighbors in Nashville !
Good deal and good luck on the job!

Be safe, mike

That and the good friends here on Cast Boolits.

Need to get us Tennesseans and S. Kentukians together for a shoot.

a.squibload
05-13-2010, 11:05 PM
I'm sure you could dump off some of the Glocked brass here, should still be good
for swaging JHPs.

Doby45
05-13-2010, 11:13 PM
I will pay for a flat rate box of that nasty no good 40cal brass. You don't even have to clean it or sort it, just use my flat rate box as a trash can and when you are sorting out your good stuff, just throw the 40cal trash in that box and when full just tape it shut and tell USPS to pick that junk up. I am dead serious. Lemme know when you got a box full.

44fanatic
05-13-2010, 11:18 PM
Need to find out what the rangemaster does with it....just went through 1000rds in the past 2 days.

Considering selling the brass and lead and donateing a portion of the proceeds to the Sheriffs Dept.

johnlaw484
05-13-2010, 11:22 PM
Being the range officer has it's perks.
I tell the guys "THE BRASS IS MINE!", when you get the job then you can do what you want to with it.
I only keep the .45 the rest is trading material.

44fanatic
05-15-2010, 09:56 AM
After qualifying on Friday and cleaning up the range...picking up the brass and sweeping the floor...the rangemaster wants me to come in on Tuesday and clean out the trap. I also grabbed a small box of brass out of the buckets. For the brass there is plenty of 40 (fired through a Glock) and I saw a few 45's and either 38's or 357.

Certain places I dont feel comfortable getting stuff for free and this is one of them. So, guess that if I am going to get lead and brass, portion of the proceeds for anything that I sell will be going back to the range. The current rangemaster is set to retire in a few months so I figure giving back to the source will keep me in good graces.

a.squibload
05-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Respect the source for sure. Let us know if it works out, I could use some 40s and a few 38s!

44fanatic
05-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Why is that?

Missed the question earlier. Department policy does not allow us to shoot reloads or cast boolits through the department issued weapons. If there are any problems caused by the reload the gun or ammo manufacturer cannot be held accountable. Have also been told to stay with the well known manufactures (Win, Rem, Fed, etc) and stay away from manufactures like Wolf.