PDA

View Full Version : Better way to trim brass?

2ndAmendmentNut
05-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Since I started reloading I have been using those Lee case length gages and trimmers to trim my brass with an electric drill. I hate trimming brass and I wonder have I made it hard on myself by taking the cheap rout out of buying a proper trimming lathe? The real time consumer about trimming brass in my case is the tightening and loosening of the shell holder to insert and remove the brass. Is there a better way to do this? Thank you for any advice.

Dan Cash
05-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Yes, much better ways. I have both Lyman and Forster trimmers. The Lyman is less costly and comes with most of the trim pilots one might need. The Forster is a bit more expensive and requires you to buy pilots separately but it seems a bit more accurate. I have adapted mine to operate with a battery powered drill/screwdriver. Works well and is fast. Faster still is the Forster setup that is drill press mounted. One of these days, I will break down and get one.

Hope this helps,
Dan

2ndAmendmentNut
05-12-2010, 05:11 PM
How is the brass held in place? Does the shell holder have to be screwed down like the Lee’s?

kodiak1
05-12-2010, 05:53 PM
2ndAmendmentNut
The first one that pops into my mind is the Gracey trimmer. You still have to buy the pilots for the cutter.

Ken.

mike in co
05-12-2010, 05:54 PM
ok ..i have both lyman and forester trimmers....both cut crooked..

i have lee case trimmers for low volum stuff...but

the wilson stuff just plain works...i have 4 of them.....( some are left preset for specific cases)

yes you must buy case holders but they cut straight....

the electric lathe type cost more, but are quicker....

mike in co

.30/30 Guy
05-12-2010, 06:16 PM
I use a C-H case trimmer. (the Wilson is the same and shell holders will interchange)

Stick a case in the holder and tap the shell head on a piece of wood. Set holder in trimmer and trim the case. Remove from trimmer and tap case mouth of the piece of wood. The case pops out of the holder. Repeat.

Takes longer to read this than to trim a case.

Freightman
05-12-2010, 06:18 PM
[QUOTE=mike in co;893776]ok ..i have both lyman and forester trimmers....both cut croked..

I am glad to hear this as I have seen this also but thought I was just seeing wrong!

1hole
05-12-2010, 06:32 PM
".. been using those Lee case length gages and trimmers to trim my brass with an electric drill. ..wonder have I made it hard on myself by taking the cheap rout out of buying a proper trimming lathe?"

Not in my opinion. I have a Lyman Universal and Forster, like both but usually use Lee's trimmers. Simplier, faster (for smallish quanities anyway) and do a very good job; what's not to like?

sargenv
05-12-2010, 06:41 PM
I use the Dillon trimmer.. currently for .30-30 Win, .223 Rem, and .308 Win. The first two I do on my Dillon 650. I'd do the 308 on the 650 if I had a conversion kit for it. One of the next things on my list for kits..

bohokii
05-12-2010, 07:29 PM
seems to be a solution for everything if you throw money at it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGYLmHvKVd0

cheese1566
05-12-2010, 07:37 PM
For bulk stuff like 223 I now prefer to use my Lee chucked in a drill. The drill was highly modified (cut in half!) and mounted to a board that can be clamped to the table or desk. I had the Lee cutter turned to fit my 3/8" drill. The lock stud and shellholder goes in a 1/4" bitholder on a screwdriver. Only thing is the fingers get sore turning the small knurled lock ring. But it is fast, idiot proof, and no adjustments necessary.

Everything else, 243, 308, 30-06 gets turned on my C-H (Wilson style) trimmer.

scb
05-12-2010, 07:48 PM
seems to be a solution for everything if you throw money at it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGYLmHvKVd0

+1, saw this on youtube. Ingenious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1FIs0FDmFQ

Hip's Ax
05-12-2010, 09:01 PM
+1, saw this on youtube. Ingenious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1FIs0FDmFQ

WOW!! I broke down and bought a Giraud this year but man! That rig is COOL!!!

:holysheep

mustanggt
05-12-2010, 10:58 PM
I only load for 2 bottle neck cartridges and have trim dies for them. Just run a file across them a few times and viola trim to length achieved. I have an rcbs trimmer and just found it to be a pita to set up and went this way. It's simple. I like simple.

dk17hmr
05-12-2010, 11:23 PM
My dad has a Giraud and has done several thousand 223's, 308, and 30-06 cases. I had a RCBS collet trimmer and hated it I never got good lenghts. I have a Hornady now and love it, it used the shell holder instead of a collet.

We had a Gracy and it wasnt bad....the Giraud is way better.

fstreed
05-12-2010, 11:50 PM
For bulk stuff like 223 I now prefer to use my Lee chucked in a drill. The drill was highly modified (cut in half!) and mounted to a board that can be clamped to the table or desk. I had the Lee cutter turned to fit my 3/8" drill. The lock stud and shellholder goes in a 1/4" bitholder on a screwdriver. Only thing is the fingers get sore turning the small knurled lock ring. But it is fast, idiot proof, and no adjustments necessary.

This is also the approach I use. I use a 1/2 inch drill, the Lee cutter fits right in with no modifications. I clamp the drill in a vise with the cutter/length gauge chucked, then turn the drill on and lock it on. It is the fastest approach to case trimming I have found yet. I use a Forster when I am trying to be extremely precise but I don't really think it is any better than the Lee setup. I like the Forster because I can also turn the outsides of the case necks with it. I rarely go to that much trouble these days, however.

crabo
05-13-2010, 01:00 AM
I chuck my cutter in the drill press. Then I twist my holder about 1/4 of a turn, pop in the case, tighten and trim. Open 1/4 turn, pull out the case, and then deburr.

Grab another and go. It goes pretty fast. I only use the Lee for pistol and revolver brass. I use a Wilson for my rifle stuff.

No hurt hands this way.

WILCO
05-13-2010, 01:39 AM
I use the LEE Zip Trim and the LEE cutter with length gauge.
They now make a special chuck for it so you won’t need the shell holder.
Works good enough for me. [smilie=s:

Lavid2002
05-13-2010, 01:42 AM
Lee zip trim sucks.... I got a wilson case trimmer...SOOOO happy with it : D

Now for chamfer and debur...I think ill get a case prep center...

Bret4207
05-13-2010, 07:14 AM
I've never had a problem with uneven or crooked trimming with my Forster.

2ndAmendmentNut
05-13-2010, 08:18 AM
Thank you all for the input. It sounds like I will keep the Lee cutter and length gage, just need to modify the shell holder.

Lead Fred
05-13-2010, 09:05 AM
I have used an LE WILSON case trimmer since the 60s. I have used a Foster, and RCBS, but none are as accurate as this,

Midway had them on sale for $30 awhile back.

http://www.lewilson.com/products.html

Lavid2002
05-13-2010, 09:19 AM
A lot of people are very stubborn about the lee zip trim, but its too much of a pain to use even WHEN it works properly.
When it works right
*Place brass in locking recess
*Tighten down
*Insert cutter with length gauge and push against the brass
*Revolve(By use of zip trim, drill, whatever your set up is hooked up to
*Loosen lock ring
*Remove brass

When it works wrong, add these steps
*Loosen lock ring
*Re-set brass
*Tighten lock ring

I hate it...
Heres the wilson, it has never failed me
(After the system is adjusted for trim to length)
*Place the casing in the holder
*Place the holder on the cutter
*Turn the cutter while pushing against the brass (Or use a drill)
*Remove the holder
*Tap the holder on the bench to remove the brass

Very simple...
Heres a short video of the wilson...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsd9QfXC0XY
Skip to 3:10

-Dave

StarMetal
05-13-2010, 11:46 AM
I'll go with the Forster.

WILCO
05-13-2010, 11:55 AM
A lot of people are very stubborn about the lee zip trim, but its too much of a pain to use even WHEN it works properly.

When compared to the way I used to trim brass, it works like a dream. Add the universal chuck, you can't beat it. Due to it's price, I'll never look at another trimmer. :mrgreen:

Lavid2002
05-13-2010, 12:11 PM
I dont mind spending money on good equipment though... For instance. I can use a 2$ lee chamfer and debur tool....hate my life... and get soar fingers from chamfering and deburring with it. :lol:

Or I can spend 100 bucks on a RCBS casing prep center. I plan on doing the latter of the two very soon because the chamfer and debur tool is very small. I hate using it.

I reload so much the tools pay for themselves quickly. The 100 bucks is worth not hating the case prep aspect of reloading to me.

On the contrary, that is one thing the zip trim DOES have on the wilson...you can chamfer and debur with the same tool.

Jon
05-13-2010, 12:19 PM

Have any pics of your setup?

mdi
05-13-2010, 12:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sGHoNd6vfA&feature=related

Lee Zip Trim used this way seems pretty fast...

Reloading is my hobby and I enjoy it. I have no quotas and don't have to trim 10,000 cases at a time (usually around 100). I prefer quality over quantity. I'm not into Lee bashing and I use tools that work for me. If trimming brass is such a pain in the ass, I'd recommend paying someone to do it for you! Life is too short to sweat the small stuff...

edsmith
05-13-2010, 12:38 PM
a chain saw is really fast. :)

montana_charlie
05-13-2010, 12:50 PM
The shellholder types (old Pacific and current Hornady) will give you different lengths, depending in rim thickness. They, and any of the collet types, can give you angled mouths.

The Wilson cuts the same length regardless of case head differences, and gives you square mouths.
The case holders don't cost much more than the pilots used by the others, and a single case holder may be correct for a half dozen different cartridges.
CM

WILCO
05-13-2010, 12:54 PM
a chain saw is really fast. :)

That's true Ed, but this three jaw chuck does a better job!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PV2hSJ-hDY

Now I need to get one for my Zip Trim. [smilie=s:

WILCO
05-13-2010, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=mdi;894437 I have no quotas and don't have to trim 10,000 cases at a time (usually around 100). [/QUOTE]

That's how I roll. 50/100 at a shot.

Red River Rick
05-13-2010, 12:59 PM
I was waiting to hear the engine start....................

RRR

Dan Cash
05-13-2010, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE=mike in co;893776]ok ..i have both lyman and forester trimmers....both cut croked..

I am glad to hear this as I have seen this also but thought I was just seeing wrong!

I can't speak for Mike in CO but my Forsters cut square. So does the Lyman if you don't over tighten the shell holder but the Lyman tends to vary a bit on its trim length.

Dan

cheese1566
05-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Have any pics of your setup?

Here is a link to my trimmer station.
http://cheese1566gunsandstuff.shutterfly.com/98

I mounted an old Pacific trimmer and C-H trimmer to it. I made a stand for the C-H trimmer out of cut steel channel and the oak base has holes for pilots and dowels for case holders.

The drill was an old Craftsman 6 volt rechargeable that the battery went bad. I cut it down and mounted it to a height to attach to the Pacific trimmer.

I had a machinist turn down the Lee cutter from 1/2" down to just under 3/8' to fit the chuck on the drill. (Not pictured.) I use a cheap WalMart screwdriver that uses 1/4" screwdriver bits to hold the shellholder lock stud and casing.

The drill is powered by a homebrew/modified computer power supply to supply the 6 volts. The power supply can also be used for other projects that need 3/5.5/ or 12 volts.

edsmith
05-13-2010, 01:54 PM
I use the lee,what I did is to take a 3/4 square peice of steel,drill a hole for the cutter and guide,put set screw to hold it tight,then drilled and tapped a hole next to it for a bronze cleaning brush,put the shell holder in a cordless drill motor,that way I can trim and clean the inside if the case in one operation. I mounted the gismo to the front side of my bench.

DukeInFlorida
05-13-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm using a Giraud to trim 30 caliber brass and 5.56 Lake City.

As fast (faster???) as sharpening pencils!

My dad has a Giraud and has done several thousand 223's, 308, and 30-06 cases. I had a RCBS collet trimmer and hated it I never got good lenghts. I have a Hornady now and love it, it used the shell holder instead of a collet.

We had a Gracy and it wasnt bad....the Giraud is way better.

AZ-Stew
05-13-2010, 04:03 PM
I can't imagine how one would get a "crooked" cut with a Forster trimmer. Put the cartridge base in the collet, slide the pilot into the case mouth and the cutter against the case mouth and hold it there, tighten the collet and make the cut. The cut can't be more than .0001 out of parallel with the case head. Likely less.

Regards,

Stew

Blake Stephenson
05-13-2010, 04:03 PM
I recently used a borrowed Giraud on some 50 BMG brass for a friend. I will have one of my own soon. Amazing tool.

Blake

SAJTU
05-13-2010, 06:17 PM
+2 on the Giraud...it's a magical tool! There is nothing I hate worse in the reloading process than case trimming! I've trimmed a bunch of cases over the years using my old Lyman crank trimmer and it does work fine for low volumes of cases. I will say, when processing large quantities of .223 brass for something like serious Service Rifle practice and competition, THERE IS NOTHING BETTER than a Giraud Trimmer.

BTW, I received no compensation from Doug for this shameless plug...it's just that good of a trimmer!

SAJTU

testhop
05-13-2010, 06:42 PM
i have been using a C&H POWER CASE TRIMMER for years never let me down it is fast ,sure and accurate i have done thousands of cases on it only problum was a broken belt (juickly fixed with parts from C&H.

SharpsShooter
05-13-2010, 08:46 PM
RCBS Trim Die. Fast ,square, easy on the fingers. I use a Lyman for small runs, but the die and a medium cut flat bastard file and you are in business. You can use a drermel with a sanding drum in pace of the file but who needs the noise

SS

mdi
05-14-2010, 01:13 PM
I can't imagine how one would get a "crooked" cut with a Forster trimmer. Put the cartridge base in the collet, slide the pilot into the case mouth and the cutter against the case mouth and hold it there, tighten the collet and make the cut. The cut can't be more than .0001 out of parallel with the case head. Likely less.

Regards,

Stew
One tenth of a thousandth is pretty small. But then how do you know the base/head of your case is square within .0001"? Or rippled/wavy? The reason some case trimmers cut out off square is that the cutter turns, not the case. If the case/cutter are misaligned, the cut will be off when the case is stationary and the cutter turns. If the case turns and the cutter is stationary, the alignment can be off, but the case mouth will be square. Just an old mechanic/machinist's .02 worth...

JimKirk
06-30-2010, 10:22 PM
http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad94/JimKirk_2010/WEB/c672abd3.jpg

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad94/JimKirk_2010/WEB/a333e1bd.jpg

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad94/JimKirk_2010/WEB/6c1265b4.jpg

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad94/JimKirk_2010/WEB/933c74c5.jpg

I made one of these little pilots for large and small primer sizes. 1/2" piece of drill rod turned to slightly less than primer diameter. I call it a collet pilot CP.

The pilot should be squared with the cutter on the trimmer as a first do.

Place a brass on the Trimmer cutter pilot(TP) and on the CP while the collet is slightly loose, apply pressure towards the CP and lock the collet down.

Then adjust the trimmer to the case cut length you need.

Simply set a case on the CP, hold the case with fingers, turn trimmer cutter handle applying slight pressure.

Much faster than turn a locking stud or setting a lock collet each time. Plus brass rim variance(diameter) plays no part in varying trim length as it does with most collet trimmers.

Jimmy K

Storydude
07-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Possum Hollow.

Best in cost and ease of use.

Discussion over.

RP
07-05-2010, 07:21 PM
I sure like JIMKIRK attachment I bet there would be a market for those I would be interested in two small and two large.

Hang Fire
07-10-2010, 02:42 AM
I use the Lee trimmer in a drill press and it works like a charm, accurate and no hassle.