PDA

View Full Version : My New Rock Lock

daschnoz
05-12-2010, 03:08 PM
I put this one together from a Cabela's kit. The kit is made by Invest Arms (Italy). It is the same gun that Cabela's sells as their house brand.

http://www.kirbos.net/stuff/hawken.small.jpg

I didn't spend too much time giving the brass a mirror finish since this is going to be a hunting gun. I left the barrel white. 6 coats of tung oil on the stock. I like it.

I have yet to get to the range with it though.

hoosierlogger
05-12-2010, 03:33 PM
I built one from the Kit from Cabelas about 6 years ago. Mine is the .54 cal. I havent shot it at paper yet either. They are alot of fun to put together. The reason I never shot mine was that I never could get the powder in the pan to light the charge in the barrel. Even with Goex 4F powder. The problem was the pan was too far from the barrel. I had to get out the dremel and remove more wood under the lock to make it sit tight.

waksupi
05-12-2010, 07:13 PM
The reason I never shot mine was that I never could get the powder in the pan to light the charge in the barrel. Even with Goex 4F powder. The problem was the pan was too far from the barrel. I had to get out the dremel and remove more wood under the lock to make it sit tight.

Yep, don't want a gap in there. Otherwise your lock can go flying away at high velocity, when you get powder inside the lock mortise.

Good project, Bobby!

missionary5155
05-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Greetings
Nice looking and the best part is you put it together. Good you saw the gap .
now all it needs is the smudges and yellowing on the brass that soem good shooting will produce.

northmn
05-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Should you want to brown the barrel Laurel Mountain Forge makes a good one that is easy to use. 44-40 and Brownells are good blues also that are easy as they just more or less wipe on. Hope the rilfe serves you well. Pretty much all I shoot in ML's now are flintlocks. Good shooting have fun.

Northmn

Southern Son
05-15-2010, 05:09 AM
I have always wanted to build a kit gun. I can reemember looking in the fron window of Smiths Gunshop on George Street, Sydney and seeing the kits in there. Apparently the rules for import changed and the kits are now really hard to find.

insanelupus
05-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Okay, I'm going to ask a really dumb question. Why leave the barrel in the white instead of browning/blueing it? Or are you planning to, just wanted to get it together?

daschnoz
05-18-2010, 03:36 PM
"Back in the day", they would leave them white and let nature do its thing. I decided to do the same. No other reason. It is already showing some signs of nature.

I took it to the range this past weekend. The barrel and brass look even better now that they have some slight burn marks and wear on them.