PDA

View Full Version : A day at the range with a 30-30 and Cast Bullets

hunter64
07-28-2006, 05:15 PM
I bought a Lee 160grn gc round nose 30 cal. to try and see what I can get from a rifle as far as cheap practicing loads. I have cast 1000's of handgun stuff over the years but never anything for a rifle. I used Lyman 2 recipe for lead and sized them to .309 and heat treated in the oven for 1 hr. I use a red lube that is supposed to be good to 2500fps and a bit beyond, but I was skeptical. I started really light at 20 grn of IMR 3031 and worked my way up to 28.0 grn and watched for leading and of course pressure signs. Well right out of the gate at 100 yards with a peep sight on the old Win. 94 I got 1.5" and I thought I have hit pay dirt. That is about the best I can do with factory bullets by speer at 100 yards. As I worked up I let the rifle cool down between 5 shot firings and cleaned the barrel each time. I worked all the way to 28 grn and no leading at all that I can see and the worst group was 2.28" and the best was 0.38" and of course the one flyer to open it all the way up to 0. 899". I wish I had a chron to see how fast this bullet is shooting with the 26.5grn. I can't believe I haven't tried this before and a great practice load that I could use for hunting if I wanted to but I guess I would have to be careful because I don't think it would expand to much on a deer. Thanks for all the help on here and to those that have answered my dumb questions. I am bitten hard with this new hobby and I can see where it can become a great obsession.

mag_01
07-28-2006, 05:47 PM
:coffee: --Hay hunter64 glad you joined us-----30-30 is fun---will try some at 26.5 with the Lee 160 gr powered by 3031 to see if my marlin likes that load---I use AA5744---160 g/c at about 22 grs.----Keep us informed-----Mag:castmine:

Leftoverdj
07-28-2006, 06:41 PM
No need to clean the bore each time. The lube is an excellent protectant, and the barrel will shoot better with a seasoned bore.

rideage
07-29-2006, 09:43 AM
I have that same mold for my 30-30! only complaint I have is it being a single cavity.... and useing gas checks.... (mini rant) why on earth are GC's more expencive than primers!? I just dont get it!(end of mini rant) I have fired a few hundred and have yet to see any leading.
Jim

hunter64
07-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Leftoverdj: When I test for grouping I usually simulate as much as possible the size of group I would get with cold rifle on a hunt. The rifle has been not shot and has been cleaned out before so the grouping will be typical of what I have if I was using it for hunting. So usually I will take a five shot group and clean the barrel and let it sit till it is cold again and repeat. Now that I know which loading to use then yes I just load up 50 or so and practice with it. For really close in hunting in the brush for whitetail I love the little lever, light weight and really quick to get into action.

To try and simulate a quick shooting practice, I have my son load the rifle with 5 shells and place it on the shooting bench. He then goes down to the 100 yard range and puts a regular paper pie plate up on the back stop somewhere. I am sitting off to the side so I have no idea where it is. I then run 100 yards as fast as I can down the road turn around and run back and into the range area pick up the rifle and shoot at the plate and all 5 shots have to be taken in under 7 seconds. Should try it sometime it is amazing how hard it is to hit a 6" plate with your heart racing and a time limit at 100 yards. Teaches you to snap shoot better so the 7 seconds time limit is enough time to identify the deer, bring the gun to the shoulder and shoot at least one shot at it.

I have been doing this for years with all my rifles and I can get at least 3 of the 5 in there and hence to practice more I wanted to try casting my own bullets and boy am I happy now, I can practice to my hearts content with out breaking the bank.

stocker
07-29-2006, 01:10 PM
Loaded rifle on the bench and then send a man down range? That would get you barred at most ranges I'm familiar with. Hope your son is running back faster than you are.

hunter64
07-29-2006, 01:45 PM
Yes I did get it backwards after I read it, he goes down range first then comes back and loads rifle and I run on the road that is at 90 deg to range for 100 yards and then back into the benches and shoot. I got to get to bed earlier. Try it sometime it is harder than you think

David R
07-29-2006, 03:01 PM
All you need now is a 6 cavity mold. You could shoot it like you do a 22.

David