PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of shot loads

Larry Gibson
07-28-2006, 04:18 PM
As I mentioned in the previous thread on shot loads I had some of the old pre Speer shot capsules. I rumaged around and found them (.44s) along with two loaded .44 magnum cases. They are the rear left and right ones. I put a shot capsule beside each to show them. From the instruction sheet you can see they are "Remco's". Also in front are a couple Speer loaded .38s (old yellow one and a newer blue one). The nickeled .38 case is loaded with shot using the GC method. The three red nosed ones are .45 ACP shot shells I make out of fired 7.62 NATO cases.

Larry Gibson

44man
07-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Your just havin too durn much fun!

Four Fingers of Death
07-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Looks like fun, I like that 45ACP set up, I have a pair of converticle Blackhawks and three lifetimes supply of 308 cases, guess what my next project is? :-)

Jack Stanley
07-30-2006, 09:42 AM
Years ago I thought about getting the dies from RCBS to make shot loads for the .45 ACP . The cost of the dies helped me realize that there are no pit vipers and such around hear to worry about , the 'chucks are to big for them and would laugh at me and it would be expensive to thin the apple crop with it . For those that can use it , I bet it's a great thing .

Jack

Edward429451
07-30-2006, 12:53 PM
I have the RCBS shotshell dies. Work great. I never could get a 100% shot load to come out looking good and durable. I wound up using a single 00 buck to cap them with and while a smaller shotload, still functions ok and an ok rabbit pattern at about 20 ft.

What's the red sealer Larry? They look good. Durable?

I am successfully using cut down 7.62 blanks for shotshell brass. Coathanger punches the seal to pour powder out.

Larry Gibson
07-31-2006, 02:11 PM
I have the RCBS shotshell dies. Work great. I never could get a 100% shot load to come out looking good and durable. I wound up using a single 00 buck to cap them with and while a smaller shotload, still functions ok and an ok rabbit pattern at about 20 ft.

What's the red sealer Larry? They look good. Durable?

I am successfully using cut down 7.62 blanks for shotshell brass. Coathanger punches the seal to pour powder out.

I use either regular once fired 7.62 brass or fired blank cases. A friend had the shot shell forming dies years ago and we also never got really satisfactory results with them. I had a regular RCBS set of dies so when I got a carbide sizer that left the regular sizer as extra. I cut it off to make a form die. It is short and just fits in the press. I use a small head size shell holder (I use a .22 Hornet but a .38 or smaller works) to push the case flush with the bottom. A small fine hacksaw then cuts of the case and a small fine file finishes it to an even length. A rod is used to knock the case out of the die. The case is deprimed and decrimped. I make a mark on the case where the shoulder should be using a 45 ACP case as a guage. The head is then chuched in the lathe and a mandrel is in the headstock that goes into the case mouth (an '03 firing pin works perfectly). The case is then turned down so the front is .001-002" less than bore diamenter and a case "mouth" is formed where it was marked for it to headspace on. A slight camfering of the case mout and the case is ready for loading.

Sounds pretty complicated and a pain doesn't it? Well actually it isn't all that difficult to make the cases. I made up 50 of them years ago and sitll have 12 left having given the others away, not lost them. I don't shoot that many snake loads through my Combat Commander or M1917 Revolver.

To load the cases I camfer a Steel .45 ACP case mouth so it is sharp and use it to cup wads out of primer boxes. The cases are primed with LP primers and a charge (sorry don't have the data here) with Bullseye. the sealing stem of the RCBS die is screwed way down so it seats the first wad down on the powder. The case is fillet with #9 or #12 (preferred) shot. The seating stem of the seating dies is backed out (I think I put another lock nut under the one on the die to back the die out for the wad seating operation) to seat the over shot wad. The "small" funnel for the Lyman 55 Powder Measure is put into an adapter for use in the press. It is adjusted so when the shot shell is pressed up into it it puts a nice roll crimp on the shell mouth. Some el cheapo red lipstick is used as a sealer for the over powder wad.

I have also found a seating stem for RN bullets will also roll crimp the case mouth but it must be polished smooth and the case mouth slightly lubed.

That's it, the cases feed and function through most any M1911 and they blast the bejesus out Jake No Shoulders.

I also reload the cases which makes the pain of making them more bearable. The saes are sized/deprimed in the carbide ACP die. The part forward of the case shoulder is then sized by running it into the .41 Magnum SEATNG die. The cases are then loaded as above. I have reloaded several of the cases I've left several times and haven't lost one yet.

Larry Gibson

45 2.1
07-31-2006, 03:06 PM
The real actual RCBS forming and reloading dies take the pain out of forming cases and loading them. I use 410 wads with the cutoff 308 cases along with the original recommended charge of 6.2 gr. of WW231 with these. They work fine.

StarMetal
07-31-2006, 03:08 PM
Well here's what old StarMetal Joe did and found out to make 45acp shotshells. First I have a set of forming dies and reloading dies for the 38-45 wildcat. This takes the neck down in stages. Lo and behold one stage is exactly the size used for next on a 45acp shotshell. So I didn't have to buy any RCBS shotshell dies. Next I didn't like using heavy rifle cases and I also found out that 45 Winchester magnum brass was the exact size to form shotshells, so I bought some of those. I could use either a cutdown 410 shotshell wad or a 44 cal gascheck for the over the powder piston. So the shell was primed, charged with the correct type and amount of powder, then the wad or 44 gascheck put in (you can't get those in after the neck has been formed) then sized them to the proper shape, put the shot in, put my over the shot wad in, rolled the mouth in, and sealed them. That's it. They work out of all my 1911's and my Glock too. They worked really good out of the Glock.

Joe

Four Fingers of Death
07-31-2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks Larry, bit much to soak in while my wife's nagging me to get off the computer and get ready for our visitors who are due shortly. I'm going to have a good look at that as soon as they leave. Mick.

Slowpoke
07-31-2006, 09:31 PM
The real actual RCBS forming and reloading dies take the pain out of forming cases and loading them. I use 410 wads with the cutoff 308 cases along with the original recommended charge of 6.2 gr. of WW231 with these. They work fine.

They work mo betta that fine ---- They work GREAT !!!!

good luck

Dixie Slugs
08-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Some more fun!.......Take the Speer shot capsule for the 38/357 and put three (3) #1 buckshot in it.........makes an interesting load!.........James

scrapcan
08-09-2006, 02:28 PM
I too have the RCBS set. It really takes the chore out of doing this. I have also found that commercial brass is easier to form than military or military blanks. I hate the fact that I have about 4000 lake city brass and as many fired blanks but use commercial brass. The good thing is I use range pickup 308 brass.

I use the 410 wad cut down or a card wad, #9 shot, and a 375 GC for over shot. Standard recomended powder charge of bullseye or 231. There is an article in handloader that was devoted to the 45 shotshell and the instructions from RCBS.

Anyway lots of fun. Have used it on snakes, rabbits, pigeons, and many many cans and plastic bottles.

Slowpoke
08-09-2006, 06:21 PM
They work mo betta that fine ---- They work GREAT !!!!

good luck

Great as in I just whacked five starlings with one shot at 23 steps. :) # 9 shot

good luck