PDA

View Full Version : Controlling the heat......

DukeInFlorida
05-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Somewhat new at using a lubricizer for lubing. Most of my previous lubing has been tumble lubing (successfully). I have started buying some of the Group Buy molds, and traditional "grease groove" lubing is becoming a reality for me.

I'm finding that a couple of the lubes that I have used have required warming them up to use them. I plug in the heater on my Lyman 4500 luber/sizer, and when it's at running temperature, the lube is too soft and gets all over the place.

What's the fix?

Is there a way to control the temperature of the heater? Like, turn it down a bit?

Hickory
05-12-2010, 10:11 AM
What I do, is plug in my heater and then unplug it
half way through the casting session and size and
lube them when done casting.

alfloyd
05-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Buy a router speed controler. This will let you adjust the voltage applied to the heater so the temp can be controled. I have one on my lube heater and it works great.
This is the one I have.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/?category=&q=router+speed+control

jimmeyjack
05-12-2010, 12:02 PM
your link doesn't worky:sad:

markinalpine
05-12-2010, 02:25 PM
This subject came up before. Somebody (not me but I appreciate their suggestion) said that the Lyman 4500 heater can be slid in and out of the Lube-sizer to regulate the amount of heat. I suggested marking the shaft of the heater with a thin pointed marking pen for different lubes. You'd have to find the different points by experimenting.
Mark :coffeecom

geargnasher
05-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Pid controller, solid-state relay, small DC power supply, temp probe, wall outlet, all put in a ventilated metal enclosure, dial up the temp you want and forget it. Search "PID controller" here for tons of info, mostly on pot contol but same principle applies to other heating devices including hot plates.

There may be some PID controllers left on the site benefit thread, that's where I got mine.

Gear