PDA

View Full Version : M91 Argies

Larry Gibson
07-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Switched over to a different computor and didn't get these posted on the last M91 thread so I just thought I'd post 'em here. I obviously need to work on better back ground and lighting but with the new computor and digital camera my learning curve is about maxed out. I will get better in the future though.

First is my M91 rifle; pretty much original except crest was scrubbed. Loves 314299 over 4895.

Second is a M1909 rifle I picked up some years back to use the action for a custom rifle, obviously not done it yet. Been rechambered to '06 and the bore is pretty frosted. Shoots well with .311" Sierra 180s and .312" Hornady 150s. Haven't tried cast yet.

Fourth is "Evita" (she really "sings"); a "scout" rifle. A recoil pad has been added, the bolt turned down, a Lyman SME rear sight added, a M14 front sight installed and a Leupold one piece base modified to fit the issue rear sight base. The scope is a Burris 3X. Bore is pristine; shoots MOA with Sierra's and Hornadys and 1.5 MOA with 314299, 31141 HP (.311") and Lee's 312-185. Future plans are to mover the front barrel band back even with front of hand guard and then shorten the forend of the stock to match. Also am looking at replacing the bolt with a M93 bolt which can be converted to cock on opening.

Fourth and fifth are cut down rifles that were sold by the barrel full back in the '50s and '60s. Fifth is "Juan" which has a lightly frosted bore but shoots really well with 123-125 gr AK/SKS bullets and the Lee 312-185. The rear sight is a Lyman and the front is the oversize post sold by Brownell's.

All the above M91s also love the Le 314-90-TL over 3 gr of Bullseye for 800+ fps.

The third M91 is the one I rebarrelled to .35 Remington. It also has a Lyman SME rear sight and a M14 front sight. Rifle shoots really well with 358156 and 358477. Not so good with 358315, am looking at trying the RCBS 200 gr FN. Future plans include bedding the action, forging the bolt handle, adding a recoil pad and refinishing the stock.

That's them. Comments or ideas always appreciated.

Larry Gibson

StarMetal
07-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Larry,

It's a doggone good thing you don't like 91 Argies. [smilie=1:

I like the carbines, never had the full rifle model.

Joe

joatmon
07-28-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm glad you posted these, was looking through back post and read of your 35rem convertion. Any feeding issues, what brand barrel did you use, will a mauser bolt fit a 91 without mod's? I have a barreless 91 and was looking for ideas on a good cartrage. Thanks for any info. Aaron

NVcurmudgeon
07-28-2006, 09:36 PM
Larry, my issue 1891 29" rifle is in excellent condition and looks much like yours. A load of 16.0 X 2400 and Lyman 314299 is good for groups of 2.2" @ 100, the best I can manage with these old eyes and those abominable sights. Oddly, I call her "Evita," a worthy stablemate for "Civilizer," "Pierre Escargot," "Hugo Yugo," and others.

Buckshot
07-29-2006, 02:12 AM
...................Nice rifles, all. I do like the M91's!

............Buckshot

Char-Gar
07-29-2006, 12:55 PM
OK 91 guys... I have a very nice 91. It started life as a rifle, but the barrel has been shortened to 24, the to wood is gone and the bottom wood shortened to match the barrel. The modifications have been done in a very professional manner.

I want to add a receiver sight and have several from which to choose from in my parts box.

I really don't want to remove the rear sight base if I can avoid it. How do these things work with a peep/receiver if I just remove the leaf and leave the base?

Larry Gibson
07-29-2006, 02:18 PM
OK 91 guys... I have a very nice 91. It started life as a rifle, but the barrel has been shortened to 24, the to wood is gone and the bottom wood shortened to match the barrel. The modifications have been done in a very professional manner.

I want to add a receiver sight and have several from which to choose from in my parts box.

I really don't want to remove the rear sight base if I can avoid it. How do these things work with a peep/receiver if I just remove the leaf and leave the base?

It depends on what front sight they put back on. With "Evita" they re-installed the front band with original military front sight when the barrel was shortened to 24" also. It was ok with the military rear sight but was too low when the Lyman SME was added. A higher (sold by Brownell's) military front sight would have worked but I prefer the M14 front sight so that's what I used. You might just have to try it to find out.

Larry Gibson

NVcurmudgeon
07-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Chargar, never tried removing the leaf only, but it should work, especially with LV cast loads. My milusrps with issue open sights, including the 1891, require a 600-800 meter settng on the ladder to be sighted in at 50-100 yd. with LV cast. Just an opinion, but I'm guessing you would not notice the base.

Larry Gibson
07-29-2006, 02:28 PM
Larry, my issue 1891 29" rifle is in excellent condition and looks much like yours. A load of 16.0 X 2400 and Lyman 314299 is good for groups of 2.2" @ 100, the best I can manage with these old eyes and those abominable sights. Oddly, I call her "Evita," a worthy stablemate for "Civilizer," "Pierre Escargot," "Hugo Yugo," and others.

Yeah, I have a tendancy to name most of my favorite rifles; Evita, Juan, Black B*tch, Meat pole, Death Ray, Sweetheart, etc. I just picked up a new pound of 2400, you guys all talking it up has got me wanting to try it. I used it some years ago but went to 4895 and 4759 mostly.

Definately know what you mean about "old eyes". I gave up service rifle matches sometime back with the M16 as by the time I get enough lens in front of the eye to see the front sight clearly the target is gone. I can still manage with the M14 though and it's slightly longer sight radius. That's also another reason I'm coming to appreciate the "scout" scope set up on Evita. I have several other scouts and always like them (they MUST be properly set up) but the eyes are making me more appreciative.

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
07-29-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm glad you posted these, was looking through back post and read of your 35rem convertion. Any feeding issues, what brand barrel did you use, will a mauser bolt fit a 91 without mod's? I have a barreless 91 and was looking for ideas on a good cartrage. Thanks for any info. Aaron

I have not made a bolt conversion between the M91 and M93 as of yet. I've read a couple places where it can be done. In my minimal look at it so far I know the striker assembly of the M93/95 will screw into the M91s bolt. The bolts also are of the same basic dimensions. The firing pin may or may not have to be modified. A round bottomed M93 bolt will fit the M91 but the right raceway needs to widened just a bit for the M93 extractor to go in. I suppose a square botomed M93 bolt could be round off without much of a problem. Of course my reason is to make the M91 cock on opening for which the conersion is available for the M93 but not the M91. Have you checked the surplus gun parts places for a bolt? Should be one out there.

Larry Gibson

Char-Gar
07-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Ok... So good..so far. On my rifle the barrel was shortened to 24" and the muzzle turned down and the original band and front sight reinstalled. I know I can buy a higher generic Mauser sight from Brownells...but by M14, I take you mean the good old American former service rifle. Where do you get such a sight and how are the installed on the 91?

Larry Gibson
07-31-2006, 01:20 PM
Ok... So good..so far. On my rifle the barrel was shortened to 24" and the muzzle turned down and the original band and front sight reinstalled. I know I can buy a higher generic Mauser sight from Brownells...but by M14, I take you mean the good old American former service rifle. Where do you get such a sight and how are the installed on the 91?

Yes it is the standard M14 battle sight (the NM on has a thinner post). They can be purchased through any parts place that handles M14 parts or perhaps from Springfield Armory. If you get one you will need the screw also. The regular Mauser front sight base/band is modified to a reverse dovetail for the sight to slide on and cclamp onto. It is easy to do with files. I will take a close up photo tonight and post tomorrow.

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
08-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Ok here's some pictures of the M14 front sight installed on the original M91 barrel band. It appears I could have modified the band base so the front sight would fit lower and while I could have there is a good reason i did not. From experience with other Mauser rifles I knew how high the front sight needed to be so the rear sight would be close to bottom and still zero with a fast, light jacketed bullet. That always then means the rear sight is not "way up there" for the slower cast loads and the rifle can be zeroed for all types of ammo used.

I also included a close up of the modified Leupold base used for the scout scope if anyone is interested.

Larry Gibson

Char-Gar
08-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks I lifted the photos. That M14 sight looks allot like the Garand sight. Much difference... I ask because I have a nice target globe front sight that fits on the Garand.